PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3 Doesn't Run Natively in HD

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

nekrosoft13
09-29-07, 11:31 AM
Earlier this week, a Beyond3D user claimed to have discovered that Halo 3 doesn't run natively in high definition. Using his HDTV's 1:1 mapping function, he discovered that Halo 3's vertical resolution was only 640; that's 80 pixels less than the lowest HD resolution, which is 720p (1280x720).

The latest Bungie Weekly Update has Luke Smith confessing that in fact, Halo 3 doesn't run natively at 720p like all other Xbox 360 games:

Halo 3 uses not one, but two frame buffers – both of which render at 1152x640 pixels. The reason we chose this slightly unorthodox resolution and this very complex use of two buffers is simple enough to see – lighting. We wanted to preserve as much dynamic range as possible – so we use one for the high dynamic range and one for the low dynamic range values. Both are combined to create the finished on screen image.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/14676/Bungie-Confirms-Halo-3-Doesnt-Run-Natively-in-HD/

found on http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEAEpFuVFpUzdjprRL.php

nekrosoft13
09-29-07, 11:33 AM
i wonder how come companies can get away with this? when MS officially said that every game has to support at least 720p?

Tygerwoody
09-29-07, 11:44 AM
640p is HD.....

toxikneedle
09-29-07, 11:58 AM
PGR3 did the same thing and no one seemed to care back then....

bugmeplz
09-29-07, 12:03 PM
Even 1280x720 seems awfully low for a PC gamer who is used to 1600x1200 and 1680x1050.

SwedX
09-29-07, 12:22 PM
Even 1280x720 seems awfully low for a PC gamer who is used to 1600x1200 and 1680x1050.

True it is lowrez crap and as one other said PGR3 was the same ****...MS 720P for all games yeah sure..the crapbox is to weak!

SwedX
09-29-07, 12:24 PM
i wonder how come companies can get away with this? when MS officially said that every game has to support at least 720p?

Exactly MS and the devs should be ashamed..a bunch of asholes really they are.
I mean 720P is nothing and some games cant even handle that, pathetic really!

Mr. Hunt
09-29-07, 12:26 PM
Saw this earlier but didn't post about it because I knew people would say it wasn't a big deal or anything.

|MaguS|
09-29-07, 12:37 PM
Worse is that on the box of Halo 3 it states that it supports 1080p... I think MS is getting away due to having a hardware scaler in the system since many wont notice it.

Its becoming a big issue, many of the recent games releases actually...

toxikneedle
09-29-07, 12:38 PM
Exactly MS and the devs should be ashamed..a bunch of asholes really they are.
I mean 720P is nothing and some games cant even handle that, pathetic really!
k, you can leave now.

|MaguS|
09-29-07, 12:40 PM
k, you can leave now.
But he never comes in here and talks trash, EVER! It's us console supporters that go into PC threads and talk trash.

CaptNKILL
09-29-07, 12:40 PM
640p is HD.....
Wow... I've been gaming in HD since 1997! :p

Serath
09-29-07, 12:51 PM
Seriously, Halo 3 looks pretty good. I was definately impressed with the movine foliage at the beginning of the game. (Individual leaves respond to guys brushing up against them. amazing.) But I will say that I did notice the lower rez quite a bit. I'm using an Optoma HD70 projector (accepts upto 1080p, downscaling to 1080i) and I seriously checked my xbox, and projector settings. Quite a few jaggies going on. Still not an ugly game, just would like to have seen a crisper image. Gears of War did it, and with more graphical detail, I believe.

NaitoSan
09-29-07, 12:53 PM
i don't care. if looks good and fun for me then i'm good.

nekrosoft13
09-29-07, 12:59 PM
Worse is that on the box of Halo 3 it states that it supports 1080p... I think MS is getting away due to having a hardware scaler in the system since many wont notice it.

hardware scaler is not the samething.

Lyme
09-29-07, 01:20 PM
The game looks great, and runs extremely well all the way through. I couldn't particularly care for those 60 lost pixels. While Halo3 isn't the best thing since sliced bread, but then again nothing is.

toxikneedle
09-29-07, 01:22 PM

It's misleading, but as long as it doesn't say "Natively Rendered in 1080p" they're not doing anything wrong. It simply states which TV resolutions the game can support, and by "the game" I mean the system, so it is technically different things.

Then again, how many people can even tell a difference between the res that MS is using and 720p....

CaptNKILL
09-29-07, 01:23 PM
The game looks great, and runs extremely well all the way through. I couldn't particularly care for those 60 lost pixels.
Actually its 184320 lost pixels. :)

brady
09-29-07, 01:23 PM
I just bought into the halo 3 craze this morning. I've never really played 1 or 2. The game looks 'ok' in my opinion. There's some very nice lighting going on and the water is neat but my goodness the complete lack of AA and the lower res sure do stick out like a sore thumb even on my "smaller" 37" Sharp.

It is a bit annoying that this is the case considering how much was said about AA and 720p prior to the 360 launch.

|MaguS|
09-29-07, 01:47 PM
It is a bit annoying that this is the case considering how much was said about AA and 720p prior to the 360 launch.

Let us not forget that MS requires EVERY game to run at atleast 720p with 4xAA...

pkirby11
09-29-07, 02:53 PM
You guys who can't stop trashing Halo are pathetic. The game is great, period end of discussion. You think this is the first time companies have lied or fudged the facts? I'm sure Sony is a perfect angel right? Get over it people. The game deserves the hype, it's fun as hell and the music is great and really makes the game seem even better.

Man I wish I was a bitter ass who has nothing better to do than find articles to trash PC games, XBox 360 games and/or PS3 games! Get over it, they all have their advantages and disadvantages why do you people have to keep posting this ****! Get off your high horses and just except that Halo is fun for many people and whether you like it or not the graphics are good. No they aren't amazing and yes the PC could do better but who gives a ****?! I don't and I'm tired of reading this crap.

I'm suprised forums are popular any more, 90% of the crap on forums is a damn pissing contest. Apple sucks! Microsoft sucks! Blu-Ray is better! HD-DVD is better! Sony is true HD! I'm honestly suprised I still come here, some of you people can't be happy for a minute that someone might be enjoying Halo 3. Instead you've got to trash it and **** all over it until your satisfied you've made someones day miserable. Well quite honestly I'm sick of it, I don't need to read this if I wanted negative crap all day I'd watch CNN/Fox news.

Let me ask you this, do you think the article the OP posted is going to make people throw away Halo? Is it going to make people stop buying 360 games? No it's not, so what purpose did this thread serve other than to just be another "OMG teh 360z lied to youz, it does not have full HDz!!!1!!!!1111" pissing match? This is a pointless thread and again I'm tired of them.

Mr_LoL
09-29-07, 02:53 PM
Whats happened to the free AA from the edram thingy?

Camp0rz
09-29-07, 02:57 PM
From the weekly update(that bungie has given us for years):

"In fact, if you do a comparison shot between the native 1152x640 image and the scaled 1280x720, itís practically impossible to discern the difference. We would ignore it entirely were it not for the internetís propensity for drama where none exists. In fact the reason we havenít mentioned this before in weekly updates, is the simple fact that it would have distracted conversation away from more important aspects of the game, and given tinfoil hats some new gristle to chew on as they cataloged their toenail clippings."

It's hard to trash these guys when they do so much for their community.

Peoples-Agent
09-29-07, 03:20 PM
Let us not forget that MS requires EVERY game to run at atleast 720p with 4xAA...

Your always ready to stick the boot into the 360 at every possible chance, totally avoiding the fact that your beloved PS3 has issues far far worse considering the hype and cost.

We need more players in the console market tbh, can't imagine where the next line of them will head.

delas52
09-29-07, 03:24 PM
Oh noez, 80 less lines of resolution, this is ridiculous, I am taking back the game right now, no way I can have fun with only 640 vertical lines.