PDA

View Full Version : Best graphics card for Sims 2 and every expansion?

Pages : [1] 2

wilhelmina
09-30-07, 02:18 AM
Hi everyone, I am new here and I wanted to know if someone could answer something for me:

I have The Sims 2 and all the expansion and stuff packs (including Seasons and Bon Voyage), and I can't seem to make the game run the way it should. Well... here is my dillema:

I have an ASUS P5V800-MX,
Intel Celeron 2.66 Ghz,
1 GB RAM (2 x 512)
GeForce FX 5500

And the game still runs slow and graphics aren't as smooth as they should be. I downloaded a program to see if my computer was good enough for running the game and it says that my graphics card is not T&L capable... is that true or is there something wrong with my drivers?

Another thing... I want to change the graphics card and I was wondering what is the best upgrade without having to spend a lot of money (I am from Argentina and we have to multiply dollars by 3 here... so it's kind of pricy for me)

Thanks and I'm sorry if something like this has already been asked. Please help me because I love that game and it's the only one I play.

a12ctic
09-30-07, 02:27 AM
Sims 2 is cpu dependant, the graphics card you get will not make a major difference.

CaptNKILL
09-30-07, 02:29 AM
That card is T&L capable. I'd try getting the latest XP drivers from www.nvidia.com.

As to a new graphics card... is that FX 5500 PCI or AGP?

The options are limited either way (PCI-Express is the standard now, but I don't think that PC would have a PCI-E slot) but there are options out there.

Capt. Picard
09-30-07, 02:35 AM
I'm afraid you're going to have to cough up some money because the least you'll need is a new graphics card. Something in the 8600 series might work fo you.

CaptNKILL
09-30-07, 02:41 AM
I'm afraid you're going to have to cough up some money because the least you'll need is a new graphics card. Something in the 8600 series might work fo you.
The board is AGP only.

How much do you plan on spending on the upgrade?

This is much faster than what you have without being really expensive. It should be more than enough for Sims 2:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125039

But like a12ctic said, the game is CPU heavy too. That could be slowing things down as well. You might be able to overclock that CPU a little though. :D

K007
09-30-07, 03:26 AM
Might have to do a full upgrade..that computer is a bit stone age -.-. And i think it will be more cost effective upgrading to more of the newer hardware than try to find the old ones..as they tend to cost more or close to some of the new ones.

|MaguS|
09-30-07, 09:47 AM
Ask crainger...

spaceigg
09-30-07, 10:08 AM
Hi everyone, I am new here and I wanted to know if someone could answer something for me:

I have The Sims 2 and all the expansion and stuff packs (including Seasons and Bon Voyage), and I can't seem to make the game run the way it should. Well... here is my dillema:

I have an ASUS P5V800-MX,
Intel Celeron 2.66 Ghz,
1 GB RAM (2 x 512)
GeForce FX 5500

And the game still runs slow and graphics aren't as smooth as they should be. I downloaded a program to see if my computer was good enough for running the game and it says that my graphics card is not T&L capable... is that true or is there something wrong with my drivers?

Another thing... I want to change the graphics card and I was wondering what is the best upgrade without having to spend a lot of money (I am from Argentina and we have to multiply dollars by 3 here... so it's kind of pricy for me)

Thanks and I'm sorry if something like this has already been asked. Please help me because I love that game and it's the only one I play.

the performance it's just reflecting your system's age. there's not much you can do to improve the speed or quality of the graphics with your current set up.... I am not familiar with "the sims" but i suppose that like with most games if you decrease the resolution and eye candy / details you can get a smoother gameplay...

summarizing your computer is good to play the following games:

solitaire
minesweeper
hearts

that's 'bout it.

jeffmd
09-30-07, 10:29 AM
wilhelm. Your 2 glaring issues are 1) your video card (You know this allready) and 2) your cpu.

You DO have plenty of room to upgrade your video card, how ever unfortunately high performance AGP cards have NOT been droping in prices like the pcie ones do. You could easily grab a 6800gs and kill your FX card, but in current games the 6800gs is just not enough anymore. As soon as a new game you wanted comes out, you will need to dump money in a whole new system AND a new video card. Also your celeron CPU has long been known to be the bottom rung of the cpu list (Its Intel's budget cpu, and even AMD's budget cpu the duron series was a better performer), so it will also need to be replaced.

If money is ultra tight, try this, just keep checking woot.com for a couple weeks, they allways have brand pre-assembled computers for $399 and $499 that offer your basic 1 gig of ram, a current 64bit cpu, and a PCIE slot capable motherboard (They almost always have either integrated graphics or a low powered pcie graphics card, so you will still need to buy a new graphics card for it).

Keep in mind they usually come with very little "support" should things go wrong, if you want that then spend the money and buy a dell. :)

|MaguS|
09-30-07, 10:31 AM
Where in Argentina are you? I would say go to Calle Florida in Buenos Aires and look into some of the stores. I know when I was last there they had alot of second hand or older hardware for moderatly priced (still high but not sell your car to afford high).

Saddly with the exchange rate right now it will be costly to upgrade no matter what. I was looking at DELL for a cousin in Argentina and the cheapest PC they offer on the website is 2,500 pesos.

wilhelmina
09-30-07, 02:43 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies. As far as my Mobo... it is only AGP capable... that's why I was looking for a better graphics card than the FX5500. But... I did some research and it will cost 2,500 pesos (about 800 dollars) to upgrade my computer to one with a Mobo with PCI-E and a dual core cpu. It's kind of pricy for my range but I think I'll just wait and see if I can raise the money, since I have been told that AGP cards will soon be obsolete anyways.

Redeemed
09-30-07, 04:29 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies. As far as my Mobo... it is only AGP capable... that's why I was looking for a better graphics card than the FX5500. But... I did some research and it will cost 2,500 pesos (about 800 dollars) to upgrade my computer to one with a Mobo with PCI-E and a dual core cpu. It's kind of pricy for my range but I think I'll just wait and see if I can raise the money, since I have been told that AGP cards will soon be obsolete anyways.

I hate to break it to you, dear, but they're already obsolete.

You will be better off getting a system that uses all the current "standards". As even 3 years from now when they are finally obsolete you should still be able to find parts for 'em rather easily. ;)

Just make sure you get a gooc Core2- based CPU. A low-end Core2 Duo should suffice. And get a good motherboard with a sinlge PCI-e X16 slot. Heck, Intel makes some awesome mobos. Grab one of theirs. ;)

I'd say atleast two gigs of decent DDR2 667 RAM. Some here will argue that you need atleast DDR2 800, but with what you will be using your computer for DDR2 667 should be sufficient, plus it'll cut down on costs.

Good luck. :D

Xion X2
09-30-07, 04:39 PM
Sims 2 is cpu dependant, the graphics card you get will not make a major difference.
Not sure where you get this. A new graphics card can make a sizeable difference with this game.. especially if she really does have an FX5500.

It is CPU-dependant as well, though.

CaptNKILL
09-30-07, 04:42 PM
I think you could probably squeeze a bit more out of that system for a decent price, but a full upgrade would definitely do a lot more for you.

A 7600GS AGP and a little bit of overclocking on that CPU would probably help out a lot for Sims 2.

Stoneyguy
09-30-07, 06:04 PM
7800 GS AGP

or

x1950 ATI AGP

Also an extra gig of ram would help out with Sims 2

crainger
09-30-07, 06:39 PM
OK. As much as I hate to admit it. |MagNuS| is right. I probably am the resident Sims 2 guru.

If you are using XP (I assume you are), your best bet is an ATi series AGP card. Nvidia have had some really nasty XP driver and TS2 related BSoD crashes. So something along the lines of a x1950 or even a x850/x800 if you can find one. I'd take Stoney's recommendation if you play at a resolution 1280x1024+ and like to turn up the AA. Also with recent expansions there have been some rather nice shader effects added, so the x1950 card would help a lot there.

Your RAM is fine. More than 1gb does little for The Sims 2 under XP.

As everyone else has mentioned Sims 2 likes a speedy CPU. So if you can find a cheap P4 2.8+ grab it. Also HDD speed plays a huge part in loading between lots, something more important now Bon Voyage is out and we are constantly going between each locations tourist traps.

In the end to make The Sims 2 run as best as possible, you'll need to go a full system upgrade. Ideally stick with XP as The Sims 2 will run like a dog under Vista unless you have a fairly high end PC.

Good to meet another Simmer on the forum. I thought Beagle and I were the only ones left. :D

LycosV
09-30-07, 06:59 PM
Crainger basically nailed it but I figured I'd just add my personal experience. I have a x800 AIW and it runs the Sims 2 pretty good as long as it's not a gigantic Bon Voyage hotel lot. I don't think a top of the line video card is necessary, but a faster CPU will make a huge difference. And as Crainger said, hard drive speed speeds up lot loading time.

Skyride
09-30-07, 08:00 PM
Guys. woah. My sister runs sims2 fine on a geforce 5200 AGP. Whats wrong with the 5500?

crainger
09-30-07, 09:42 PM
Guys. woah. My sister runs sims2 fine on a geforce 5200 AGP. Whats wrong with the 5500?

Well there is fine (1024x768 no AA all details up) then there is my kinda fine (1680x1050 16AA and 16AF). The Sims 2 engine cries out for a lot of AA and a lot of AF.

I'll also add, there are some performance issues with Bon Voyage that can't be fixed no matter how good your PC is. Basically when on holiday for a long period of time you'll fine the game will slow down more and more while on your hotel lot. It's random so one minute it's fine, the next it's almost unplayable. While going out to holiday community lots it is fine. No slow downs at all. The best solution i found is to limit holidays to 3 days and two nights. Best comprimise until Maxis patch the issue. Or until one of the 3rd party devs release something. I always get the latest Moreawesomethanyou pack. It has a bunch of bug fixes and makes the game a lot more playable. http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/ If you have Bon Voyage, don't use the directors pack. It's not quite compatible yet. Plus it also makes the game harder. :o

Also if you are using any mods that alter the lighting. In particular the Smart lighting mod. Take it out and see how it runs without. It caused a bit of a strain on my old 3800+ system and the benefits weren't worth the drop in performance.

Oh and I forgot. More on HDD speed. Defrag, defrag, defrag. This is one of the best tweaks to increase load times. With the way The Sims 2 works with some very big compressed game data files, fragmentation can increase load times massively. So keep your drive in order.

Xion X2
09-30-07, 10:00 PM
Nothing wrong with the Sims 2. It's an awesome game; it just requires an enormous investment of time to get anywhere on it. That's why I hardly play it anymore.

crainger
09-30-07, 11:17 PM
If you are just playing The Sims 2, then you don't need to invest too much time. however if you play with all the Expansions and Stuff packs, then yeah. You will need a bit of time, plus for a new player, it will seem very daunting. I'm addicted again with each new expansion, so donating my time to the game isn't an issue. Also with the ease of backing up, I've been playing the same neighbourhood for years now, with also allows the 'generations' feature to really shine. :D

Xion X2
10-01-07, 12:57 AM
I have all the expansions and am not new to it. ;)

I got into all the downloads.. which once you do that, it becomes endless... had my sims cruising around in Ferraris, Ducatis, Lambos, etc.. downloaded all the nice detailed skins for the characters. Had the water hack where you could dig your own pools/lakes/beaches, etc. Had the tv program hacks where they could sit around and watch beer commercials and HBO.

I got more into the building aspect of it, though. I built all kinds of beach houses with detailed landscapes overlooking a beach I'd make w/ the swimming-hole hack. Occasionally I'd get bored and create two hot lesbians and have them live together and make out in some sexy lingerie I'd downloaded off some site.

crainger
10-01-07, 01:44 AM
LOL

I know exactly what you mean with the downloads. The online community is massive and there are so many objects and mods out it's not funny. So to make my game more streamlined and focused I limit my objects to official Maxis stuff and stuff from moreawesomethanyou. Also a few 'helper' objects like the InSiminator.

wilhelmina
10-01-07, 01:45 AM
Thanks again everyone for your amazing advice... I am not a savvy when it comes to computers but I am not an idiot either... so I understood most of what you said. I have only one question though... what is AA and AF?
Another thing I would like to say is that I am a Simmer and I love custom content and I know I need a new HDD and a Dual Core CPU... I was asking about the graphics card because I am still a noob at these kind of things. I was offered a new computer which has an asus P5gt-le (or something like that) mobo... an intel celeron dual core of 1.6 (I assume it's speed is 3.2... right?), 2 GB of RAM and a PCI-E card 256 MB with no turbocache. Am I making any sense here? I really don't remember it much since I didn't take notes because I don't have the money to purchase it yet. Would it be worth it?

jeffmd
10-01-07, 02:52 AM
dual core celeron? never heard of such a thing.

When a dual core is given a speed, its the speed of one of its cores, so a 1.6hz will be 2 cores running at 1.6ghz each.