PDA

View Full Version : PC up **** street

SOAD
09-30-07, 12:48 PM
Hello, im buillding my dad a spare pc for light internet surfing. It isnt much of one but i am having troubles with it :rolleyes:

specs

Asrock 775 mobo Xfire-esata2+ P945 chipset
P4 3.4ghz (65nm)
2gb DDRII 533mhz (2x1gb)
250gb Maxtor SATAII
Generic 450w psu

Anyway.........

I have plugged it all in and turned it on. Nothing came up on the screen. So i removed me a stick of ram and it worked. So I think a stick of ram is at fault at least.

However it will NOT load the OS. I have 3 different HDD's and have checked them.

I loaded up a 120gb IDE Seagate and it said no HDD error press ctrl alt delete to restart.

Loaded up the 250gb SATAII disc (running Vista ultimate). It gets to the screen where it gives you choices (eg safe mode, continue), On continue it starts the OS loading then restarts. On safe mode it slows a few lines of white text and then also restarts.

Tried on my current 320gb HDD. Again restarts.

So really really annoyed, I pulled out a new mobo that I have never used. Same sorta model as the last one and experienced the same errors. :(

Damn!

Does anyone have a clue what this could be? I have tried all bios settings etc.

cheers

Xion X2
09-30-07, 01:14 PM
Sounds like the mobo is incompatible with the RAM that you're using.

SOAD
09-30-07, 01:20 PM
Sounds like the mobo is incompatible with the RAM that you're using.

I have used the ram in this mobo before :o for around 4months.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I dont get how its not booting any of the HDD's even on different mobos.

The only thing that it Could be is that all the HDD's have nvidia drivers on them and the card im installng is a ATI X300 128mb. I dont think that would be sufficiant to stop the HDD from a least booting up.

I dont get how its picking up all the stuff and yet it still dosent seem to work :(

cheers

Xion X2
09-30-07, 01:47 PM
Can you uninstall the video drivers and then try it? I have had an instance where a bad video driver install would halt the OS upon a bootup.

qube
09-30-07, 02:05 PM
or go fore a fresh install of vista

SOAD
09-30-07, 02:31 PM
or go fore a fresh install of vista

Will try Xion x2 to uninstall drivers.

I would rather keep my stuff on the HDD. It has 12gb out of 250gb free.

Lots of useful stuff ;)

Revs
09-30-07, 02:34 PM
Can you uninstall the video drivers and then try it? I have had an instance where a bad video driver install would halt the OS upon a bootup.

Me too. Also mobo drivers can screw things up. Will it boot in safe mode?

XDanger
09-30-07, 02:38 PM
Yeah ,Fresh install, its like youre using hdd's from a different pc so windows says "no ****ing way ,This isnt where I live".

SOAD
09-30-07, 07:23 PM

Deleted all drivers no luck :( Looks like it will be a new install. Im going to be so ****ing pissed off if it still doesnt work though lol

will do tomorrow :o i want to watch a film now.

edit: its 01:19am. i hope someone wakes me tomorrow :D

grey_1
09-30-07, 08:06 PM
Do yourself a favor - Download a linux livecd like Ubuntu (http://ie.releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/), grab the very top one that says "PC (Intel x86) desktop CD" and burn the .iso to cd.

Boot from the cd and let it load. If this all works fine, chances are your hardware is fine. If this keeps crapping out, then it's probably your hardware.

Good luck SOAD

SOAD
10-01-07, 03:18 AM
cheers grey_1 will try that tonight.

thanks man ^_-

Capt. Picard
10-01-07, 03:34 AM
Try the RAM sticks from your computer. It might be that the one stick that you think is working may also have a problem.

SOAD
10-01-07, 09:52 AM
Try the RAM sticks from your computer. It might be that the one stick that you think is working may also have a problem.

i cant test my crucial ballistix ram for 2 reasos

1-The motherboard dosent allow voltage change and therefore (i assume) defaults to 1.8v. Also my ram is 667mhz max mobo is 533mhz
2- if the motherboard is breaking the ram, i dont want to lose use of my main rig.

thanks for the suggestion though

Capt. Picard
10-01-07, 09:58 AM
`