PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade from my 19" vx922 LCD?

giverz
09-30-07, 04:02 PM
wondering what people think. my vx922 is very fast, 2ms, and thus by spec and from personal experience is excellent for gaming. what are gaming benefits to getting a 22" LCD? also, are there 22" that are truly as fast as my vx922? if so, can somoene recommend some?

mojoman0
10-01-07, 02:03 AM
If you have a video card which can run higher resolutions it may be worth it

SOAD
10-01-07, 03:19 AM
for the size alone I think its worth it. :)

I think you should go for the 24" one though (dell 2407wfp). looks lovely, is big enough and is HDCP certified ;)

I love mine ^_^

Gaco
10-01-07, 06:26 AM
The first thing you need to ask yourself is if your personal economy and priorities allows you to upgrade your PC and keep it up-to-date fairly often. Most 22" widescreens runs at a 1680*1050 which is somewhere between 1280*1024 and 1600*1200 in quality and requirements. LCD screens always looks best in their native resolution without comparison so you need to know that your hardware can deliver this resolution or you must be willing to compromise some texture/shader/shadow etc. quality level to maintain a good framerate.

In my opinion 24" widescreens are not favorable because they usually come in 1920*1200 resolution, which if course is beautiful BUT given that you have the hardware to power the monstrous res. Most people don't since this is even more pixels than the well-known 1600*1200. In fact only if you have the newest CPU, lots of RAM and a SLI-configuration, can you have any hopes of playing the newest games in a 24" widescreen's native resolution.

I recently made up my mind about my some of my priorities and decided that computer hardware will get a bigger piece of my total income from now on. So I just bought a whole new computer (assembled it myself ;)), new speakers, keyboard, mouse etc. and a Samsung 2232BW 22" widescreen monitor, which I like very much. I realize that it's not perfect in every respect, but 22" just don't come any better these days (well perhaps if you're billionare, well I'm not :p). I thought the shift from my old 19" was fantastic and I love the new format (4:3 and 5:4 looks all wrong now!). The gaming benefits? Bigger resolution (= more detail in picture depth, color, etc., and overall quality) AND bigger screen obviously. Makes for a more immersive and fun experience IMO. Personally I'd never be able to go back now. Those are my thoughts :)

SOAD
10-01-07, 09:56 AM
The first thing you need to ask yourself is if your personal economy and priorities allows you to upgrade your PC and keep it up-to-date fairly often. Most 22" widescreens runs at a 1680*1050 which is somewhere between 1280*1024 and 1600*1200 in quality and requirements. LCD screens always looks best in their native resolution without comparison so you need to know that your hardware can deliver this resolution or you must be willing to compromise some texture/shader/shadow etc. quality level to maintain a good framerate.

In my opinion 24" widescreens are not favorable because they usually come in 1920*1200 resolution, which if course is beautiful BUT given that you have the hardware to power the monstrous res. Most people don't since this is even more pixels than the well-known 1600*1200. In fact only if you have the newest CPU, lots of RAM and a SLI-configuration, can you have any hopes of playing the newest games in a 24" widescreen's native resolution.

I recently made up my mind about my some of my priorities and decided that computer hardware will get a bigger piece of my total income from now on. So I just bought a whole new computer (assembled it myself ;)), new speakers, keyboard, mouse etc. and a Samsung 2232BW 22" widescreen monitor, which I like very much. I realize that it's not perfect in every respect, but 22" just don't come any better these days (well perhaps if you're billionare, well I'm not :p). I thought the shift from my old 19" was fantastic and I love the new format (4:3 and 5:4 looks all wrong now!). The gaming benefits? Bigger resolution (= more detail in picture depth, color, etc., and overall quality) AND bigger screen obviously. Makes for a more immersive and fun experience IMO. Personally I'd never be able to go back now. Those are my thoughts :)

imho i dont think 1920x1200 is that huge jump. I mean my GTX and cheap ass C2D runs it @ top everything. The GTX is a year old now. As long as you arnt running obsolete stuff i belive it will be fine.

And seriously what is a upgrade in real terms of money? Its nothing. Hell I spend more on alchol. :D