PDA

View Full Version : NBA Live 08 Thread

Tygerwoody
10-01-07, 02:43 PM
So, considering NBA 2k8 is terrible, my other threads are no longer needed. NBA 2k8 is old and busted. The new hotness is NBA Live 08 :naughty:

My preorder was put in this weekend. The game should be here by tomorrow afternoon on release date.

Who all is getting this game? When you do get the game, post your thoughts.

christos
10-01-07, 03:08 PM
As much as I agree with you on your assesment of the demos, I have decided to wait for a couple of reviews of the full release versions before making a decision.

I am leaning towards live 08 this year, but can wait an extra day or two to make sure I make the right choice.

Growing up a Knick fan, having Marv as the commenter just might seal the deal for me.

tornadog
10-01-07, 03:18 PM
looks in Crystal Ball, sees post from next week from Tygerwoody saying this game is th3 cr@p!!!!

sytaylor
10-01-07, 03:29 PM
Indeed, you cant loose an awesome engine like 2k7 in a year or turn dog**** into diamonds in a year either (live 07).

Severian126
10-01-07, 04:06 PM
I'm still very surprised that 2k8 would be crap. They've been on such a hot streak while the Live series was a complete joke, IMO. I still need to sit and wait for the reviews or to hear what you guys say after playing both games to make my move. But if 2k8 certainly does stink.....well, that makes me sad. :(

Tygerwoody
10-01-07, 04:11 PM
looks in Crystal Ball, sees post from next week from Tygerwoody saying this game is th3 cr@p!!!!
you know me all too well :p

Tygerwoody
10-01-07, 04:17 PM
Indeed, you cant loose an awesome engine like 2k7 in a year or turn dog**** into diamonds in a year either (live 07).
I never played Live 07 or 2k7, so I can't be the judge of that.

I was 100% wanting to buy 2k8. I have 2 threads to prove that. I even had a preorder for it. The demo was such a disappointment for me to play. Live 08 just seemed better in just about every category. Graphics were not even in the same league. Controls on Live were a good amount better. Gameplay was alot less buggy. The only thing I will say on 2k8 that was good was the way defense was handled was a lot better. I'll give credit where its due. Other than that, Live just seemed like the better game. I'll confirm this opinion by the end of the week after I have played a few games. :)

Severian126
10-01-07, 04:25 PM
Graphically, the Live series has never appealed to me. Didn't look realistic enough, and even more so, the animations suck. They jerk around too much. And from what I see in the videos of live 08, it looks like this hasn't changed. From what I see of 2k8, the graphics look the same as 07, which isn't a bad thing since 2k7 was a great looking game.

I also dug around and read up on some early player reviews, and from what people say, it's the same as 2k7, both with slightly upgraded visuals and a few more animations and whatnot. Hardly exciting for me, but 2k7 was an addicting game. I was expecting much more from 2k8 tho.... :(

six_storm
10-01-07, 04:28 PM
My fiancee, who hates video games, wants me to get NBA Live 08 because of Corey Brewer of the Timberwolves. Remember Corey from Florida's team last year? He's from Portland TN, where my fiancee GRADUATED with him. It's nice to know celebrities. :D

Tygerwoody
10-01-07, 04:49 PM
My fiancee, who hates video games, wants me to get NBA Live 08 because of Corey Brewer of the Timberwolves. Remember Corey from Florida's team last year? He's from Portland TN, where my fiancee GRADUATED with him. It's nice to know celebrities. :D
Meh, depends on who they are. I went to parties with J J Reddick because he lived in the same area as me. Total dick head.

Tygerwoody
10-01-07, 05:11 PM
Graphically, the Live series has never appealed to me. Didn't look realistic enough, and even more so, the animations suck. They jerk around too much. And from what I see in the videos of live 08, it looks like this hasn't changed. From what I see of 2k8, the graphics look the same as 07, which isn't a bad thing since 2k7 was a great looking game.

See, my opinions seem to be completely opposite from yours. I think 2k8 looks like garbage, and Live's looks great. Animations in 2k8 look like a bunch of video clips pasted together, with tons of jerking in between. Basketballs teleporting all over the place.

I also think the fact that 2k8 didn't even bother to update their graphic engine is 100% pure and utter laziness. It sounds like they got comfortable with being "number 1" and decided to give users a product that appears to only be as good as or even less than that of LAST years game. Thats not a good attitude to have and from the reviews i have seen from users, its going to bite them in the butt.

What fascinates me is the fact there are so many "2k" fanbois out there who haven't even tried either demo and are swearing by 2k when obviously changes have been made on both sides.

I don't think 2k8 is a horrible basketball game. I just think its not as good as Live 08. This is purely from a demo play and I realize thats not 100% accurate, but its alot more accurate than going by LAST years game and saying what this years game will be like.

Severian126
10-01-07, 08:36 PM
I certainly consider myself a 2k8 fan. Can't really say hardcore. It's just their type of basketball simulation appeals to my tastes; however, I agree it is really really lazy of them to not try and improve on what has been done last year.

I won't make the assumption that 2k8 is better than Live 08 this year, as I've yet to play either (no 360). I will definitely try both and see which one gets my money. I love the 2k series, but in the end, the better game wins it. :)

Tygerwoody
10-01-07, 10:10 PM
I certainly consider myself a 2k8 fan. Can't really say hardcore. It's just their type of basketball simulation appeals to my tastes; however, I agree it is really really lazy of them to not try and improve on what has been done last year.

I won't make the assumption that 2k8 is better than Live 08 this year, as I've yet to play either (no 360). I will definitely try both and see which one gets my money. I love the 2k series, but in the end, the better game wins it. :)
I hear that if you slow the gameplay of Live 08 it feels more "simulation" like. Worth a try if you are renting it.

If I hear good reviews from trusted review sites(aka not IGN/Gamespot), I may buy 2k8 as well.

Tygerwoody
10-02-07, 08:32 AM
The day has finally come! NBA Live 08 shall be mine as soon as I get off work! :)

christos
10-02-07, 09:43 AM
The day has finally come! NBA Live 08 shall be mine as soon as I get off work!

And what time might that be? I'm definitely looking to purchase either live or 2k8 today, but will wait for website reviews and/or user reviews first. I don't plan to buy both.

Tygerwoody
10-02-07, 11:36 AM
And what time might that be? I'm definitely looking to purchase either live or 2k8 today, but will wait for website reviews and/or user reviews first. I don't plan to buy both.
get off work at 5:00. Hopefully its sitting at home waiting for me by the time i get there.

Will write a review on how I feel about the game. I think you all have known me long enough that I won't be biased and say its good just because I chose it over 2k8. I bash any and every game I touch. Especially weeny console games. :p