PDA

View Full Version : Should TN panels cease to exist?

nightmare beta
10-01-07, 04:35 PM
I was wondering what people think about TN panels. I think they're horrible, and I can't believe they still make up a large part of the market. 6 bit per color component is an automatic demerit from me, due to the banding/bad gradients, and less colors.

Reason I'm asking is because I think that lcds are not moving forward fast enough, and on top of that, 6 bit displays still exist, when your video card can likely do 10 bit.

Of course, I'm sure everyone disagrees with me on this since it's my opinion, but I'd love to be wrong. I just don't get why outdated tech is still so strongly supported.

evilghost
10-01-07, 04:40 PM
Please, shut up. How my fscking times are you going to rehash the same post content over and over? You're a disease on these forums.

ynnek
10-01-07, 04:46 PM
Its easy to make and its cheap.. and customers that buy them don't care enough to pay the extra $ for better quality.

All the fancy new stuff is just too expensive to bring out to the mass consumer market. I'm sure if there was a way, manufacturers will be pushing for it to be released on the market, especially since there is so much competition in LCD's.

I'm all for new tech too, but it better be cost effective, cause there's only so much money I'll spend on certain things.

|MaguS|
10-01-07, 04:48 PM
Please, shut up. How my fscking times are you going to rehash the same post content over and over? You're a disease on these forums.

OMG, ghost has lost it and Kevpla was the one to push him over the edge! :headexplode:

Xion X2
10-01-07, 04:50 PM
Should kevpla cease to exist?

evilghost
10-01-07, 05:10 PM
He's the only idiot in this forum that has absolutely zero involvement in the IT field, little to no understanding of technology in general, yet consistently makes assertions about "they should do this" and "technology isn't evolving fast enough" the whole while his mother has to constantly remind him not to eat toilet paper.

He was banned once and came back under another name and has been allowed to persist. I can't hit 'New Posts' without some manifestation of his vast stupidity showing up.

Tr1cK
10-01-07, 05:12 PM
Should kevpla cease to exist?
You should make this a poll.

methimpikehoses
10-01-07, 05:14 PM

+1

|MaguS|
10-01-07, 05:15 PM
the whole while his mother has to constantly remind him not to eat toilet paper.

HAHAHA

Maybe one day she will forget to tell him not to drink the bleach...

Madpistol
10-01-07, 07:09 PM

+2

Also, what is your problems with TN LCD panels??? My Acer 24" is a TN LCD model, and it is damn good for the $400 I payed for it. It's not the most expensive monitor on the planet, but it's absolutely incredible for gaming. I absolutely love it.

Therefore, Kevpla should die. End of discussion. ;)

Imbroglio
10-01-07, 07:23 PM
news flash genius, not all ppl care about high end monitors, if you start looking at the majority of baby boomers, they see one 20" monitor for $199 and another for $399, and let me tell you they aren't buying the one for $399. We are the minority, take your medication, stfu and stop with the fuktard posts. Nobody cares about games from the early 90's anymore and TN panel discussions started 5 years ago, maybe by the time you graduate high school, you'll be apt to talk about bioshock or crysis or ut3.

edit: +3

Tr1cK
10-01-07, 07:28 PM
Maybe if I was a retarded punk that lived at home (kev), then I would be frivolous as well.

Aphot
10-01-07, 09:11 PM
news flash genius, not all ppl care about high end monitors, if you start looking at the majority of baby boomers, they see one 20" monitor for $199 and another for $399, and let me tell you they aren't buying the one for $399. We are the minority, take your medication, stfu and stop with the fuktard posts. Nobody cares about games from the early 90's anymore and TN panel discussions started 5 years ago, maybe by the time you graduate high school, you'll be apt to talk about bioshock or crysis or ut3.

Exactly.

I'm pretty sure a regular joe doesn't really have a clue when buying an LCD, and either goes for the cheapest one or the most expensive... mostly the cheep one.

nightmare beta
10-01-07, 09:30 PM

i graduated from high school in 2005, with a ~3.1 GPA, and a ****ty sat score of 1100 (500 verbal and a meager 600 math.) i've been in college since 2005.

evilghost
10-01-07, 09:47 PM
i graduated from high school in 2005, with a ~3.1 GPA, and a ****ty sat score of 1100 (500 verbal and a meager 600 math.) i've been in college since 2005.

You're an idiot. Every one of your posts are stupid. You lack reading comprehension and the ability to form contiguous thought. I'm honestly impressed you've found a creative way to waste your parents money. If you were my child I wouldn't expect any more from you than you would be able to handle; breathing without reminder.

$n][pErMan
10-01-07, 09:47 PM
To be honest... I still don't think any LCD's out can match the quality of a very good CRT. My CRT has .20 dot pitch and 1ms response... get that with an LCD :p They are ocming along... but id like to see higher quality. Recently a friend of mine got a 20 inch widescreen LCD... 5000:1 contrast ratio and 0.25 dot pitch. Thats about the best quality I have seen yet, gave it a try on my system and looked nice, but after using 0.20 dot pitch for so long I can see all the little squares on an LCD :( I also don't like how LCD's tend to do in dark spots in games... just does not look right to me.

buffbiff21
10-01-07, 10:33 PM
Nobody cares about games from the early 90's anymore
I wouldn't take it that far...

Slammin
10-01-07, 10:44 PM
He's the only idiot in this forum that has absolutely zero involvement in the IT field, little to no understanding of technology in general, yet consistently makes assertions about "they should do this" and "technology isn't evolving fast enough" the whole while his mother has to constantly remind him not to eat toilet paper.

He was banned once and came back under another name and has been allowed to persist. I can't hit 'New Posts' without some manifestation of his vast stupidity showing up.

I'm going to change my nick to Mr. Big Somthing.

That should really send you Postal! :captnkill:

Serioisly, I'm with ya.

Slammin
10-01-07, 10:49 PM
You're an idiot. Every one of your posts are stupid. You lack reading comprehension and the ability to form contiguous thought. I'm honestly impressed you've found a creative way to waste your parents money. If you were my child I wouldn't expect any more from you than you would be able to handle; breathing without reminder.

Man, sometimes this forum really pisses me off. Now I gotta go upstairs and explain why my shirt is wet with beer.

Thanks.

But spitting out beer for a great laugh is worth it! :D

jcrox
10-01-07, 11:04 PM

:rofl

Kev's definitely quick like a herd of turtles in a blizzard headed up hill

Madpistol
10-02-07, 12:12 AM
I agree with you sniper. However, I think modern LCD's have most CRT's beat in 4 areas.

1: More vivid color reproduction

2: Not as heavy

3: Less power consumption.

4: less strain on the eyes.

For this reason, it's safe to say that the best LCD's will eventually beat the best CRT's. There is no doubt about that.

I used to be like you and said, "I love my 19" Samsung CRT. It has an incredible resolution and is very very cool!." I kept that mentality for about 3 years... until I saw an Acer 24" monitor for $400, and I was like "That's a pretty sweet deal if it's a good monitor." So I decided to order it and give it a shot. After seeing this "budget" 24" LCD, I can very confidently say that I will never go back to a CRT monitor as my main display. The LCD just does so many things soooo much better than the CRT did.

nightmare beta
10-02-07, 02:17 PM
I agree with you sniper. However, I think modern LCD's have most CRT's beat in 4 areas.

For this reason, it's safe to say that the best LCD's will eventually beat the best CRT's. There is no doubt about that.

I used to be like you and said, "I love my 19" Samsung CRT. It has an incredible resolution and is very very cool!." I kept that mentality for about 3 years... until I saw an Acer 24" monitor for $400, and I was like "That's a pretty sweet deal if it's a good monitor." So I decided to order it and give it a shot. After seeing this "budget" 24" LCD, I can very confidently say that I will never go back to a CRT monitor as my main display. The LCD just does so many things soooo much better than the CRT did.

one more thing to add, they don't weaken like picture tubes do. they may have backlight bleeding, but that's nothing compared to burn in on a crt.

Anyway, I think that they should make more led displays and start the market for it now, and of course make them 10 bit and with a 120 hz refresh rate. and i think they should reduce power consumption further.

Rakeesh
10-02-07, 02:46 PM

5: No geometry problems (e.g. all of the edges of the display are perfectly straight)

6: No image distortion whatsoever, which all CRT's experience at some level, and it gets worse with age.

7: No need for overscan

8: CRT's fade over time towards a greyish color, LCD's do not (the backlight can dim after a long time but it is replaceable.)

9: Truly digital from end to end so picture reproduction is otherwise perfect (save for contrast)

10: Solid state display; no moving parts.

11: Modern LCD's have better viewing angles than a CRT could ever have (CRT's are never truly flat.)

Rakeesh
10-02-07, 02:54 PM
Reason I'm asking is because I think that lcds are not moving forward fast enough, and on top of that, 6 bit displays still exist, when your video card can likely do 10 bit.

Only the el cheapo displays are 6-bit these days. Most of them are 8-bit as 8-bit displays are now capable of very low response times. 10-bit is pointless, your video card isn't going to output anything higher than 8-bit per channel. Even if it could, you'd have to update all of your games and applications to do this, as well as all of the artwork contained in them which would need to be remastered.

10-bit per channel is pointless IMO. The human eye can only distinguish 100 different shades of each of the red blue and green color chromats. 8-bit provides for 256 different shades of each of those color chromats. Going any higher than this would provide little if any benefit at all.

Xion X2
10-03-07, 07:20 AM
10-bit per channel is pointless IMO. The human eye can only distinguish 100 different shades of each of the red blue and green color chromats.

Yeah, but we're not talking about humans here. We're talking about kevpla.