PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Pages : [1] 2

Odral
10-01-07, 09:23 PM
This is coming out tomorrow anyone else excited about it? Looks sweet and it's getting sweet reviews! IGN review pretty nice!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/822/822825p1.html

buffbiff21
10-01-07, 10:54 PM
I don't have a DS, and I'm not buying one just for this game. It has that gay WW style art to it that I loathe.

If I want old school Zelda, I'll just play Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, or the Oracle games.

crainger
10-01-07, 10:55 PM
I love you Jessica Alba.

buffbiff21
10-01-07, 11:01 PM
I love you Jessica Alba.
She's mine. http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/forum/Smileys/DRGsmiles/icon_keel.gif

crainger
10-01-07, 11:08 PM
:(

Madpistol
10-02-07, 12:15 AM
I didn't know it was coming out so soon. I may pick it up for some long bus rides, but not this week i'm afraid.

Zelda_fan
10-02-07, 03:19 PM
how DARE anyone other than myself start this thread.

It will be an awesome game as usual. If you have a DS and don't buy this, then you're kind of retarded.

buffbiff21
10-02-07, 06:11 PM
It will be an awesome game as usual.
No, Helen Keller.

This game has an an unfunctional control system, an unappealing graphic style reminiscent of Wind Waker, the same old beaten to death music, and will most likely feature only 4 short and easy dungeons. Not worth my money.

Zelda_fan
10-02-07, 10:07 PM
No, Helen Keller.

This game has an an unfunctional control system, an unappealing graphic style reminiscent of Wind Waker, the same old beaten to death music, and will most likely feature only 4 short and easy dungeons. Not worth my money.

Have you played it? No.

It's said to be a 20+ hour game. Not bad for a handheld seeing that most console games last like 10 hours.

buffbiff21
10-02-07, 10:44 PM
Bro, dungeons in Zelda games are key for me.

While there are many elements that contribute to them, like finding an item that expands your abilities to travel around the world and collect upgrades, I enjoy the puzzles the most. MM, WW, and Minish Cap for me were incredibly disappointing in this respect. 4 levels? WTF? I've stated before about how I don't mind short games, but in Zelda games that only come out every 3 years or so, I'd like for them to be as long and challenging as possible.

Zelda_fan
10-03-07, 12:03 PM
Bro, dungeons in Zelda games are key for me.

While there are many elements that contribute to them, like finding an item that expands your abilities to travel around the world and collect upgrades, I enjoy the puzzles the most. MM, WW, and Minish Cap for me were incredibly disappointing in this respect. 4 levels? WTF? I've stated before about how I don't mind short games, but in Zelda games that only come out every 3 years or so, I'd like for them to be as long and challenging as possible.

The puzzels are supposed to be extremely unique in this one. It uses the touch screen in conjunction with certain items to make some complex stuff. I believe there are 8 levels in this game (but I haven't bought it yet only read reviews).

nightmare beta
10-03-07, 12:18 PM
wasn't this once a completely different game or am I thinking of another game that was changed completely when in development?

nVJoe
10-03-07, 12:20 PM
I didn't know it was coming out so soon. I may pick it up for some long bus rides, but not this week i'm afraid.
So soon!? This game was pushed back a whole year.

All I know is my son cannot wait to get this game. He will have it this Friday.

nightmare beta
10-03-07, 12:29 PM
Have you played it? No.

It's said to be a 20+ hour game. Not bad for a handheld seeing that most console games last like 10 hours.

buff-biff knows he won't like it before playing it, just like you know you'll like it before playing it.

buffbiff21
10-03-07, 07:19 PM
Every day, I have Gamespot more.
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/adventure/thelegendofzeldads/review.html

They give this crap a higher score than TP? The jackass also cements his jackassship by stating "there are not many proper sequels in the Zelda franchise." Oh yeah? Want to tell me what Adventures of Link, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask and both Oracles, are?

He also concedes that it's a "touch easy." That means it's hella easy.

Sailing was the big thing that some folks felt dragged down Wind Waker significantly.
Yeah right. That's WW's redeeming factor if you ask me.

nVJoe
10-03-07, 07:30 PM
Every day, I have Gamespot more.
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/adventure/thelegendofzeldads/review.html

They give this crap a higher score than TP? The jackass also cements his jackassship by stating "there are not many proper sequels in the Zelda franchise." Oh yeah? Want to tell me what Adventures of Link, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask and both Oracles, are?

He also concedes that it's a "touch easy." That means it's hella easy.
Why do you care? It is only a review. Only one person's opinion.

Geeze, you would think he insulted your mother.

buffbiff21
10-03-07, 07:39 PM
Why do you care? It is only a review. Only one person's opinion.

Geeze, you would think he insulted your mother.
Because I hate the reviewers at Gamespot. Only one person's opinion.

nVJoe
10-03-07, 08:00 PM
Because I hate the reviewers at Gamespot. Only one person's opinion.
I'm thinking.... don't read their reviews? Just a thought maybe? :D

shilk
10-03-07, 10:56 PM
FWIW, I'll comment on it since I have played the Japanese version of it a long time ago. :D Just try to accept the game as it is and try not to form an opinion on it before you start playing. Play it. Don't read it. Seriously, you won't be disappointed. But anyways...

There's plenty of dungeon romping, and although it may not be as huge as Wind Waker's for example, it definately has the gameplay to make up for it. Once you get the Phantom Hourglass, it adds a whole new level to the dungeons. So in a sense, there aren't a ton of dungeons that you romp through, but you can explore them again once you obtain the hourglass. Not to mention the genuine Zelda gameplay where you return to the same area when you get the Power Glove later on or whatever new equipment, much later. That's to be expected, of course.

I can admit that I died a few times, and I can care less if I have to say it's a "touch easy" to inflate my internet persona. I don't get paid to review games. But as a gamer that enjoys the Zelda series, you seriously have to at least try the game.

I'm rambling. :o Anyways...

From the very first time I've plugged it in and played it, I was seriously blown away at the production level of the game. Forget what you've played on the DS so far in terms of action RPGs. There were so many moments in the game that awestruck me. It just offers the gamer so many elements in a game that are new. If anyone has played Phoenix Wright and remembers the part where you dust for fingerprints, you'll know what I'm talking about. The new gameplay elements have to be experienced first hand because it involves that kind of interaction with the game - which is a good thing.

If you want to know a few of them, I'll make two refences. I don't want to spoil the game that much, but I was grinning ear to ear while I was playing because of the gameplay elements like this in the game that made it very enjoyable for me. Once you figure these things out, you carry this "knowledge" throughout the game with you and it just makes the game that much more fun to play.

Do not read below this since it may spoil the "problem solving" aspects of the game that made it so enjoyable!

=============================================

1.) When you're in a dungeon and there's torches lit in certain places that you need to extinguish, what do you do? Blow at your DS microphone. No seriously. It's like blowing out a candle. (Hence my Phoenix Wright reference.) Classic. :D

2.) There was point in the game on an island where you had to find a gypsy that was trapped in a room. But she thinks you're the enemy and you have to convince her that it's not. What do you do? Call out to her from behind the door she's locked behind. I'm sure they've changed the "trigger word" for the localized version of the game, but you get the idea.

=============================================

Stuff like that blows me away in a game because it's so unique. Sure, you may look like a sausage while you're playing and blowing into your DS and yelling at it, but I'm not going to be playing Zelda at a train station or at Sunday mass. :p

buffbiff21
10-10-07, 07:53 PM
I tried it out today at Gamestop. Not for too long, just till I got the sword. My thoughts were just "ehh." Graphics were good even with the gay Celda art, but it's overhead style similar to the preN64 ones. It controls nicely, which is a surprise, but everything just seems "stock." I think that's the perfect word for it. Teh noez, a cave with dangerous monsters! They don't even bother dramatizing anything anymore. So the dialogue is filthy. My only other complaint was the sound. Same, same, same old shyt. Ugh.

I will pick this up, but it's nowhere near my "to play" list.

CDE_1246
10-10-07, 08:09 PM
She's mine. http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/forum/Smileys/DRGsmiles/icon_keel.gif

Do you have a high res picture of your avatar?:D

buffbiff21
10-10-07, 08:17 PM
Do you have a high res picture of your avatar?:D
Best I got.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1408489&postcount=14

CDE_1246
10-10-07, 10:05 PM
Thanks!:)

Slybri
10-10-07, 11:22 PM
I've been playing it for a few days, mainly at work, since that's what the DS does best.

It's pretty good. Decent graphics for the DS. The touch control is nice but I wish I had the option to use the buttons and D-pad. The boomerang is really fun , You draw a path for it and it follows it exactly after you release it, unless it hits a wall. This makes for some fun puzzles, since you can throw it through a maze and into another room. They also use the microphone for some puzzles, like blowing out fires and such. The only thing that bothered me about the controls so far is trying to make Link roll. It's kinda hard for me to do for some reason. Combat is fun though. You tap the mob and link jumps out and THWACKs him.

Good game so far.

marqmajere
10-11-07, 12:32 AM
So far I've played through the first dungeon. Nothing too hard, but it is only the first. I am really loving this game. I wasn't too sure about the stylus-only game play, but it's acutally very nice. I, personally, loved the Wind Waker and this game is right up my alley.