PDA

View Full Version : !Urgent Help for GPU Flashing!

Zapablast05
10-02-07, 01:53 AM
I need to get some help on this, ASAP please!!! I'm currently "flashing" my GPU's BIOS. I followed every step, made the MS-DOS boot floppy, added in the nvflash files, the new BIOS and a copy of the old BIOS. The boot started, 'A:\>' popped up, I typed nvflash -4 -5 -6 new BIOS.rom and it stopped there and the FDD just kept buzzing. I restarted it, typed in the same thing, but just nvflash and its doing the same thing; buzzing with no new command prompt. It's been buzzing for the past 3 minutes and nothing's happening. How long's it supposed to take to flash? What do I do? Please help!

ATOJAR
10-02-07, 11:42 AM
Do you have your origional bios on a seperate flopppy? what new bios did you try to flash your 8600 with? why did you force flash it?

Zapablast05
10-02-07, 08:07 PM
I had two floppies. One to back up my BIOS and the other to flash it. I tried flashing 600 core, 775 mem, 1190 shader. What do you mean by force flash? I followed the steps, got a back up, loaded up nvflash and that other file with the edited BIOS. The floppy just kept buzzing after I entered the command; like if it was reading the floppy, but nothing was happening on the screen for the next 10 minutes.

ATOJAR
10-03-07, 01:44 AM
Well the -4 -5 -6 is the force flashing command! ... all you had to do was type -5 -6 thats for a normal flash!

I have my card flashed with the bios of a (KO ACS3) now this card is a different board type so i had force flash it with the -4 -5 -6.

Did you just edit your cards origional bios? if so there is no need to force flash, make sure your bios file name and the command - nvflash -5 -6 "your bios name" type are exactly the same i.e .... my bios file name is newbios.rom so when i boot into my floppy i would type the command "nvflash -5 -6 newbios.rom" ... it will the ask a queation, something about am i sure i want to continue, press Y ..... it will then say clearing firmware ect .... then it will say compleated or flash successful(or something like that) ... the whole process takes around minute of not less!

Make sure you use the same model card, i.e dont try and flash a GTS with a GTX\Ultra also stick to a board that has the same amount of memory!

What bios did you use???

Zapablast05
10-03-07, 07:22 PM
I didn't force flash it. The flash utility didn't even load up. I got it to work last night, I used the -p -u -f method. I backed mine up, and to practice flashing, I flashed the original BIOS. I tried using the EVGA 8600GT BIOS but it said "I/O Error, File could not be opened." Then I tried the Foxconn 7950GT BIOS but it gave me the same error. Should I try a BIOS with the same memory and interface?

Zapablast05
10-03-07, 08:11 PM
Ok, nevermind. I got it. I flashed my Foxconn 8600GT to an XFX 8600GTS XXX successfully.

Luchou
10-03-07, 09:49 PM
in future just follow this steps, the best method imo:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1199078

Zapablast05
10-03-07, 11:33 PM
I was just wondering...is it possible to flash the card so it will have (let's say) a 7950GT's BIOS; 256MB/256-bit interface? Or does the card have to have the same memory interface as well?

Annihlist
10-04-07, 03:50 AM
I was just wondering...is it possible to flash the card so it will have (let's say) a 7950GT's BIOS; 256MB/256-bit interface? Or does the card have to have the same memory interface as well?

No don't try this. The card has different hardware, a different architechture all together

ATOJAR
10-04-07, 11:57 AM
If you try & flash your card with a 7950 bios that card wont work again! ... well you may be able to do a blind flash back to the origional bios or if you had a second pci-e card you could flash it back DONT DO IT!! ... as i said in my earlier post stick to a card with the same board type i.e you have a 8600GTS so only flash your card with a 8600GTS board with the same amount of memory your card has! ... anything else will mess your card up! ....you could flash your card with a 8600GTS overclock version, that would work fine! .... as i said my card was a stock 8800GTS 640MB 513\1200\800 ... i took the bios of a 8800GTS 640MB (KO ACS3) and edited the bios to 600\1400\900 and force flashed my card with that .... works a treat! ... the only reason i had to force flash was because nvidia put a block on so people like me cant flash the bios ;) ...... a forceflash worked great :D

Luchou
10-04-07, 08:56 PM
If you try & flash your card with a 7950 bios that card wont work again! ... well you may be able to do a blind flash back to the origional bios or if you had a second pci-e card you could flash it back DONT DO IT!! ... as i said in my earlier post stick to a card with the same board type i.e you have a 8600GTS so only flash your card with a 8600GTS board with the same amount of memory your card has! ... anything else will mess your card up! ....you could flash your card with a 8600GTS overclock version, that would work fine! .... as i said my card was a stock 8800GTS 640MB 513\1200\800 ... i took the bios of a 8800GTS 640MB (KO ACS3) and edited the bios to 600\1400\900 and force flashed my card with that .... works a treat! ... the only reason i had to force flash was because nvidia put a block on so people like me cant flash the bios ;) ...... a forceflash worked great :D

What are the chances to fail if I flash my Extreme edition with a bios from a XXX edition?, 320mb btw...

Zapablast05
10-05-07, 12:32 AM
Flashing from a Foxconn 8600GT to an XFX 8600GTS XXX was a great idea! The lowest FPS I get in the F.E.A.R. stress test on max is 20, compared to 15 with my old BIOS. Even though ATItool detects a few artifacts, it doesn't bother my games, they don't CTD, and I don't BSOD compared to when I used to overclock the stock BIOS. I'm going to flash to a much faster 8600GTS. My card doesn't even heat up, it's cool to the touch. Now, I just need something to monitor my GPU's temps (not nVtools..)

ATOJAR
10-05-07, 08:34 AM
What are the chances to fail if I flash my Extreme edition with a bios from a XXX edition?, 320mb btw...

That should work fine, if you do it correctly it cant go wrong! both cards are the same board (8800GTS 320MB's) .... you may have to force flash it though but it will work! ...... just make sure your card can handle those clock speeds and heat before flashing! overclock your card to the XXX edition clock speeds with rivatuner & do some testing & watch the temps for afew days first, use atitool artifact scanner, 3DMark06 & play some games at the overclocked speed to look for artifacts ect! if every thing goes ok after a few days then your set to go flash. :D