PDA

View Full Version : Killer networking card?

Maximillian79
10-02-07, 07:53 AM
Just by accident saw this site on the web

http://www.killernic.com/products/nic.aspx
from page

Killer NIC
The world's first 400MHz gaming networking card is powered by Lag and Latency Reduction (LLR) Technology, and accelerates your online games right out of the box.

Prioritize your network traffic
Gets data to and from your game faster because Killer's LLR (Lag and Latency Reduction) Technology ensures your gaming data is prioritized above all other network traffic.

Offloads Network Processing from CPU
Experience smoother game play during intense action as your gaming network card acts as a co-processor to ensure that your networking gets out of the way of your graphics and CPU.

Lowers your in-game Ping
See your enemies a split-second sooner, and get your mouse-clicks to the server faster because Killer bypasses Windows to save precious milliseconds, giving you the competitive edge in first-person shooters.

Game Securely and Download Files without Affecting Game Performance
Run your Firewall and Torrent Clients on Killer's 400MHz NPU instead of your CPU. The Flexible Network Architecture allows your game to run smoothly because your applications no longer need to run on your CPU. Download our SDK and develop your own!

Plug and Play
Install the card, install the drivers, and the Killer NIC is ready to fight. No special patches, system manipulation, or game integration required just plug it in and start playing.

Could this card really help lowering pings with Online games?

Dont know much about net cards, I just been using my onboard net card,

cyntho
10-02-07, 07:57 AM
It does VERY slightly. If you check out the reviews on it, it is not worth even close to the amount of money it costs, at least for now.

Rakeesh
10-02-07, 08:23 AM
You'll get the same results out of network cards that have fully hardware controlled functions, and these usually cost $50 or less. These things are a joke, I am surprised that this company is still in business.

evilghost
10-02-07, 08:33 AM
3C905 + QoS would accomplish the same thing. This is snake-oil of the finest quality designed to take advantage of marketing victims.

cinrellik
10-05-07, 11:45 AM
You'll get the same results out of network cards that have fully hardware controlled functions, and these usually cost $50 or less. These things are a joke, I am surprised that this company is still in business.

Those cards don't have a built in processor or their own ram, nor do they bypass the windows network stack, which means you still have to wait for the system to complete its other tasks before it hands off the network data to the card

3C905 + QoS would accomplish the same thing

No, they don't. It's not even close to the same technology.

What you just posted will not bypass the windows network stack or offload UDP nor will they run applications on the network card NPU (since they don't have one)

evilghost
10-05-07, 12:21 PM
Those cards don't have a built in processor or their own ram, nor do they bypass the windows network stack, which means you still have to wait for the system to complete its other tasks before it hands off the network data to the card

No, they don't. It's not even close to the same technology.

What you just posted will not bypass the windows network stack or offload UDP nor will they run applications on the network card NPU (since they don't have one)

BS. A parallel tasking NIC with QoS will accomplish the same thing, the Win32 networking stack, as inferior is it is, is not the cause for latency. A decent NIC will produce the same results. Offloading UDP overhead? It's a stateless protocol, who the hell do you think you're tricking?

Your company is a farce. Might I suggest selling a 5000RPM turd polisher?

evilghost
10-05-07, 12:28 PM
Quoted some gems of wisdom from cinrellik at other sites.

The largest boost is from skipping the windows network stack, this cycle normally requires windows to examine every other action its taking along with the frames being drawn onscreen before it can send the next ping/pakcet of data out over the network. Killer takes the UDP (game data) away from windows and sends/recieves your game data before or during each windows data cycle, allowing your CPU to stay focused on its other tasks. Delivery of game data faster in this method reduces ping spikes, smooths out the network performance and makes it feel like a better connection, even when the ping numbers themselves arent always affected directly (since most of the lag being removed is from in between those pings being sent out and recieved).

Sounds like bullchit, your magical driver is time-slicing the CPU just as the network stack would.

The second boost is UDP priority (all other "optomized" NICs are TCP priority for browsing and downloading improvements). UDP priority ensures that no matter what else your computer is sending over the network, your game data is sent first.

WOW! It's almost like.... ToS/QoS but relabeled. Amazing!

There may also be some FPS improvement, depending on your system. This is more of a side effect of freeing up CPU power so that it can better communicate with your graphics processor.

Sure, because most games are CPU limited, not GPU limited.

I don't run in the same circles with marketing or management. (I'm in QA)

Exactly.

Your Killer NIC runs Linux, amazing, reminds me of SiNic. So how are you handling multiple machines on the same segment and QoSing them? GARP? Here's the source code, http://www.bigfootnetworks.com/Support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=3&pcid=0&nav=0

Thanks for honoring the GPL.

evilghost
10-05-07, 12:55 PM
Additional food for thought:
http://www.xyzcomputing.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4557

Notice that "optomize" is misspelled again and is almost verbatim what our friend from Bigfoot posted.

As FYI, it's much cheaper and more effective to consider using something like OpenWRT or a dedicated computer as a router effectively managing all ingress/egress traffic to the Internet.