PDA

View Full Version : Worth going from GTS to GTX?

rHy0
10-02-07, 03:12 PM
With Crysis around the corner I am getting even more and more doubtfull about the capability of my 8800GTS....

Used to think it was powerful card but now it's just regarded as mid range, which means that it is not going to play Crysis the way I want it...

Thing is I want to run that game with maxed out settings on 1680x1050 res. I also can't cope with less than 30fps...

Now I know my GTS will not be able to do that:( but I'm sure a GTX will...

So do you think it's worth the jump to a GTX at this stage? And will it really give me that much more power??

FastRedPonyCar
10-02-07, 03:17 PM
I would wait until the full release comes out. It seems like with the beta demos, they're changing something with each release. There are dozens of guys in the crysis beta feedback thread with GTS's very pleased with the performance.

There are also guys with overclocked GTX's and Ultras who upon running high settings and manually enabling some ultra high settings get very low frame rates.

All that being said, an OC'd GTX or ultra would undoubtedly yield higher fps's but like I said, I would wait to see how the final public release runs and then make the decision.

SH0DAN
10-02-07, 03:26 PM
I would wait to see how the final public release runs and then make the decision.

I wish I had kept that in mind when I ordered my eVGA ULTRA last night at 3 am. :o

rHy0
10-02-07, 04:04 PM
Yeah I think I will wait, but I know for sure that my card won't play it maxed out on 1680 res with the framerates I'm looking for so waiting is not gonna make much difference..

Another question: Do you think that the overclock I have on my card brings it close to the performance of a stock GTX? I think I heard somewhere that it's possible... Doubtfull myself but worth asking...

Redeemed
10-02-07, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't I was playing it last night and got between 10-20fps with all in-game options maxed (well, as much so as that beta will allow you to), with 4xAA, 16xAF, GCAA, MSTAA, at 1680x1050. If I'd thrown my second GTS in I'd been plugging along at a stead 30fps non-stop and atleast- I bet. ;)

When the final version comes out with all the performance smoothing the game'll get I'm sure my single GTS would run it stead at a consistent 20fps with this stock Opty of mine no problem. Or atleast close to that FPS. ;)

Dragunov
10-02-07, 04:07 PM
Well, if the new boards are on the market, they gonna lower the prices of the GTX and Ultra

rHy0
10-02-07, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't I was playing it last night and got between 10-20fps with all in-game options maxed (well, as much so as that beta will allow you to), with 4xAA, 16xAF, GCAA, MSTAA, at 1680x1050. If I'd thrown my second GTS in I'd been plugging along at a stead 30fps non-stop and atleast- I bet. ;)

When the final version comes out with all the performance smoothing the game'll get I'm sure my single GTS would run it stead at a consistent 20fps with this stock Opty of mine no problem. Or atleast close to that FPS. ;)
Not good news...See I need at least 30fps constant... :(

FastRedPonyCar
10-02-07, 04:49 PM
I wish I had kept that in mind when I ordered my eVGA ULTRA last night at 3 am. :o

Not me. Seeing jericho bring my 7600GT to it's knees was teh final straw. the $560 MSI 8800 Ultra OC was too hard to say no to.

Redeemed
10-02-07, 04:50 PM
Not good news...See I need at least 30fps constant... :(

Dude, you have a significantly faster processor than I. I'm sure you'd be getting atleast 20fps constant in that demo at the settings I was using. Once the finaly product comes out I'm sure that will be atleast 30fps constant.

rHy0
10-02-07, 04:55 PM
I hope so. I will see I guess...

I'll still be setting some money aside though in case a card upgrade is needed.

CaptNKILL
10-02-07, 04:55 PM
Dude, you have a significantly faster processor than I. I'm sure you'd be getting atleast 20fps constant in that demo at the settings I was using. Once the finaly product comes out I'm sure that will be atleast 30fps constant.
You're "sure" of a lot of things Redeemed. :D

I played Crysis beta at 1600x1200 with all the settings on high, no AA, 8xAF and I get between 15 and 50 fps. Usually in the low 20s with lots of chopping and stuttering though. Its about half way playable. I wouldn't be able to actually have a serious game online (or in single player) with this kind of performance.

I have a GTX and a 3.6Ghz core 2.

jcrox
10-02-07, 05:03 PM
The SP will likely run quite a bit faster than the MP.

walterman
10-02-07, 05:07 PM

I think the opposite. We'll know soon.

CaptNKILL
10-02-07, 05:15 PM
Usually its the other way around.

More enemies, more vehicles, more shooting, plus AI...

ATOJAR
10-02-07, 05:18 PM
You have a nice overclock on your GTS .... i wouldent upgrade to a 8800 GTX\Ultra if i was you, wait untill the next line of cards if you really want to get the most out of crysis! .... i reckon when the demo or full game is released it will(hopefully)run better\smoother .... also maby a driver release or two from nvidia may help tweak things alittle! .... Myself ... i wouldent bother with a GTX or even a Ultra for that matter now! .....if crysis eats my system ill be waiting untill the next line of cards to upgrade and just cope with my GTS untill then! .....(getting another 2GB memory & a Q6600 G0 that i will overclock to 3GHz in afew weeks also :D)

Redeemed
10-02-07, 05:19 PM
You're "sure" of a lot of things Redeemed. :D

I played Crysis beta at 1600x1200 with all the settings on high, no AA, 8xAF and I get between 15 and 50 fps. Usually in the low 20s with lots of chopping and stuttering though. Its about half way playable. I wouldn't be able to actually have a serious game online (or in single player) with this kind of performance.

I have a GTX and a 3.6Ghz core 2.

Last I heard Crysis should take great advantage of Quad-Core CPUs. Hence a 2.4GHz Q6600 would probably be atleast comparable to your 3.6GHz Core2 Duo. As such, add a decent oc to that Q6600 and get it to around 3.4-3.6Ghz and you'd have a very playable game. ;)

Dragunov
10-02-07, 05:58 PM
You have a nice overclock on your GTS .... i wouldent upgrade to a 8800 GTX\Ultra if i was you, wait untill the next line of cards if you really want to get the most out of crysis!)

it all depends of the version of the pci express 16x slots

CaptNKILL
10-02-07, 06:14 PM
Last I heard Crysis should take great advantage of Quad-Core CPUs. Hence a 2.4GHz Q6600 would probably be atleast comparable to your 3.6GHz Core2 Duo. As such, add a decent oc to that Q6600 and get it to around 3.4-3.6Ghz and you'd have a very playable game. ;)
The game is very GPU limited right now from what I can tell. At least at high settings.

It doesn't currently take advantage of Quad cores (at least thats what I've heard from Quad users) so most likely, it'll use the other cores for enemy AI in single player. I doubt they will be reprogramming everything to use quad cores between now and release time.

I'm not saying a Quad won't be worth it for this game (time will tell) but the main performance issue is related to the GPU.

If two people have similar graphics cards, they will probably get similar performance in Crysis. And I doubt it will improve much from now to release, especially once they give us the "Very High" graphics options. There isn't much they can do to just improve graphics performance, other than cut out some eye candy.

lamarodom007
10-03-07, 03:16 AM
Easiest way for ya is go for a EVGA GTX right now then sign up for the STEP UP program, exchange your 8800gtx to 8900 ( I assume) whenever it's available.

wysiwyg
10-03-07, 10:59 AM
i just got the below GPU, CPU and mobo and ram about 2 weeks ago

very simular to the thread starters rig (BFG)

my card is the OC2 version clocked by BFG, and i believe its pretty much the same speeds as a standard GTX

good enough for me, all games are running great with the exception of crysis mp , which is around 20-30 mark not sure tho but im sure the final version will run great and if not it will after one or two patches of optimization ;)

MarkUCLA
10-03-07, 12:38 PM
Easiest way for ya is go for a EVGA GTX right now then sign up for the STEP UP program, exchange your 8800gtx to 8900 ( I assume) whenever it's available.

I was thinking of doing that lamarodom007 (GO LAKERS), but is there a limited timeframe that you have to do the actual STEP UP?

ATOJAR
10-03-07, 01:44 PM
is there a limited timeframe that you have to do the actual STEP UP?

Yeah .... 90 days.