PDA

View Full Version : 8800 Ultra is here...with issues

FastRedPonyCar
10-02-07, 08:20 PM
So the ultra showed up today and I installed it and it fired up fine.

Go to run bioshock, crash... in fact, it just sits at a blank screen. If I control, alt delete out of the program, I get this error message from vista.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Bioshock.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 46b7d7a9
Fault Module Name: Bioshock.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 46b7d7a9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 004604ef
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: ebc5
Additional Information 2: 08d4ab8e4e9a9fd4f9c1950fabae5eb1
Additional Information 3: 5a4f
Additional Information 4: c7abbd87fe49ac9c4a606b60d67f85c9

oblivion, runs for about 8 seconds then crash

stalker runs for about 5 seconds then crash

HL2 runs fine

I've tried installing both the beta and current nvidia drivers both with the same issue.

I've uninstalled riva tuner, ran the nvidia nasty file remover, etc etc....

I'm out of ideas.

3Dmark06 runs just fine though..

at all default settings it scored 12,012 pts. Is this any indication of low or about on par performance considering the rest of the rig in my sig?

I'm sort of at a loss for what's going on with all the games though.... I've got call of juarez, lost planet, C&C 3, halo 2, world in conflict and quake wars all waiting for install but I don't want to if this problem is going to continue with all the games.

Any ideas?? :(

v3rninater
10-02-07, 08:30 PM
Did you make sure you started windows....then let the drivers update, then maybe reboot?

Or even better, get the latest drivers....163.71? After you uninstall and then F8 safe/mode driver cleaner, then reboot, install drivers - they install reboot, then you setup up your rez, and GOOOooo.

FastRedPonyCar
10-02-07, 08:54 PM
yeah I uninstalled drivers, reboot, cancel the request to install drivers then run the nastyfile remover, reboot, install new drivers. I tried both 163.71 and the official current drivers (non beta).

Stalker will run for about 10 seconds and then blue screen with an error generated from the file NVLDDMKM.sys

jeffmd
10-02-07, 08:58 PM
a) did you try reinstalling windows from scratch?

b) what was your last video card/drivers?

3DBrad
10-02-07, 09:03 PM
Checked online for perhaps compatibility issues with your motherboard, perhaps it needs a BIOS update?

FastRedPonyCar
10-02-07, 09:32 PM
Look what I found! holy crap.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=25381

Anywyas, it's a fresh install that I did this weekend. I was using a 7600gt. I uninstalled those drivers, shutdown, hooked up new card, booted, installed new drivers, problems ensue.

jAkUp
10-02-07, 11:02 PM
Try setting your clocks to 612MHz core and 2GHz memory

FastRedPonyCar
10-03-07, 07:29 AM
Try setting your clocks to 612MHz core and 2GHz memory

I'll try when I get home. Did you run into this issue at all? It seems like everyone has a different solution to this problem.

Better cooling needed

Install XP

Change registry entries

RMA for a new card, etc

Darkoz
10-03-07, 07:59 AM
First thing I'd try is to run the card without your CPU overclocked, run the CPU at stock and see if it helps.

FastRedPonyCar
10-03-07, 08:00 AM
I think some of this may explain what's going on.... It's worth a try.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=35312

cefurkan
10-03-07, 09:28 AM
it is about clocks i think

i saw ppl who has ultra

after they dropped frequanices they became able to play games without error

FastRedPonyCar
10-03-07, 06:21 PM
well I tried all the hot fixes, I put my cpu and ram back to stock speeds and voltages, northbridge back to stock voltage, I underclocked the 8800 down to gtx speed and put an ocssilate fan right on it all to no avail.

But I did find a fix for it... I re-installed XP! Wow.. all my games work now!

Hopefully microsoft will have this issue totally resolved by the time crysis comes out. I hear SP1 is right around the corner...

911medic
10-03-07, 07:14 PM
But I did find a fix for it... I re-installed XP! Wow.. all my games work now!

Hopefully microsoft will have this issue totally resolved by the time crysis comes out. I hear SP1 is right around the corner...Is this bad sarcasm, or are you running Vista and said XP by mistake?

grey_1
10-03-07, 07:55 PM
Is this bad sarcasm, or are you running Vista and said XP by mistake?
I was wondering the same?

Either way glad it's solved for you.

3DBrad
10-03-07, 08:17 PM
He just said he went back to XP, and is not using Vista right now if I understand correctly. :)

grey_1
10-03-07, 08:37 PM
Works for me. :D

911medic
10-04-07, 12:48 AM
He just said he went back to XP, and is not using Vista right now if I understand correctly. :)Ahhh, that must be it. I don't see anywhere that he said he was running Vista, and when he said "reinstall XP" I just thought he meant he did a reformat.

FastRedPonyCar
10-04-07, 06:33 AM
nah I went back to xp. this is clearly something that was up with vista and I didn't feel like hassling with sitting through another vista install if it wasn't going to fix this problem.

Oh well... all the games work great now and I just racked up over 13K 3dmark points

Nkd
10-05-07, 12:33 AM
well i have no problems running any game in vista including some u have mentioned, i have my ultra overclocked to 675/2300 memory. runs anything i through at it. i had an evga superclocked ultra that is in rma process for the second time, first rma'ed card didn't give any video signal, and i put in my bfg ultra everything worked fine, their customer service is the best i have seen, but their quality control is just horrible, the worst i have seen, i had evga 680i had 2 dead boards rma'ed to me.

just a suggestion, did you install the latest dx update, because if you didn't than that could have definatley been the problem, happend to me once, the games would crash, and some games wont even luanch.

FastRedPonyCar
10-05-07, 09:45 AM
yeah I had installed the august dx distributable.

Some over at the OC forums think it may have just been something up with the vista install so I'm planning on setting up another partition on my C drive and re-installing vista. If it works, great. if not, I'll just kill it and remove the partition.

spajdr
10-05-07, 09:59 AM
Im using latest DX redistro and no problems with any games.