PDA

View Full Version : A question for SilenX fan owners...

Madpistol
10-03-07, 12:58 AM
Do your fans get really hot? I mean like, burning hot?

Ever since I installed this fan, I've been getting a weird electrical burning smell coming from my computer. If I take the fan out, the smell disappears, so it's obvious who the culprit is. Does anyone other than me experience these things?

Rytr
10-03-07, 01:08 AM
Something is definitely wrong. I have a couple of these fans running for over a year and they have never shown any signs of heat. Must be getting the wrong voltage or the fans are defective. I would contact SilenX.

Madpistol
10-03-07, 01:35 AM
Good enough for me. RMA has been submitted. I'll be shipping the fan off tomorrow.

Hopefully the next fan won't be like this. If it is, I'll never buy a SilenX product again.

BCKator
10-03-07, 03:03 AM
Madpistol:
I have 8 120mm silentx fans in my case (and rad box) of of various types (25 and 38mm and med/low noise) and none get > 2degC over ambient. I don't ever run them at much more than 10v. Have you tried running the fan on its own to confirm that it really is the problem? What are you powering the fan with? If coming from a MB header, could it be that you are exceeding its capabilities and perhaps the smell is coming from that circuit due to it being overloaded? Are you driving it w/ a variable PWM source? Just some thoughts before you RMA (if not too late).
-- BCK

Madpistol
10-03-07, 09:59 AM
hmmmmmm... good point BCKator. I was running it using the Motherboard header. I could attach it directly to the PSU and run it that way. Do you think that would help?

Madpistol
10-03-07, 12:42 PM
I just hooked it up to a regular 4-pin power connector, and it still smells a little like it's burning. :(

I'll give it a day. If it smells like this tomorrow, it's going back to newegg.