PDA

View Full Version : Crysis Beta can corrupt os

Pages : 1 [2]

S.I.N
10-04-07, 11:56 PM
I'm not surprised. Its like a new trend with these latest demos and even full games is to dump a lot of crap you don't need on your system and do a lot of crap in the background at the same time. I miss the day of installing a game and thats all it installed and didn't perform tricks on your OS to slow it down or in this case destroy it.:thumbdwn:

nopp0x00
10-05-07, 01:40 AM
my 2nd HD almost hit the crapper after 1 reset. It took scan disk like 3 attempts to repair the drive after windows wouldnt let me have access. whew, not sure if this is crysis related but it happened one reset after installing..

Bro, be careful. That happened to me with two disks right before they failed. So go and backup your stuff right now. :) Don't wait.

nopp0x00
10-05-07, 01:42 AM
Except that it would then have to write the corrupted in-memory version of the file back to disk, and I can't see any reason that it would do that. In fact I don't see why anything except a system update would be writing to a system file at all, they're there for apps to use, not alter.

I suppose it's possible they're overwriting DLL's or something, I know that used to go on a fair amount (is it even still allowed?), but it's hard to believe they would completely bork a system (especially a clean install as in the one case). Any chance one of the sites got a trojaned copy of the demo?

They wouldn't bork anything intentionally. I'd like to think that such a technically proficient group of people have a clue as to how not to mess up a potential customer's system. Your idea that those people with issues downloaded some maliciously modded version of a beta seems more likely.

Or perhaps these people are just morons who are playing an intensive game on an unstable overclock and then blaming the game for their carelessness. I know that in the past when I've pushed the envelope on an overclock too hard that I've had to go into recovery to get my system to boot again.

Twistedgenius
10-05-07, 09:46 AM
Or perhaps these people are just morons who are playing an intensive game on an unstable overclock and then blaming the game for their carelessness

Very well said. To many people now a days overclock their CPU to the moon and back and think they have a stable overclock just because they can run superpi or P95 for 10 minutes :rolleyes:

A cpu intensive game like crysis or flight sim x will OWN an unstable overclock everytime. LOL.

agentkay
10-05-07, 11:25 AM
A cpu intensive game like crysis or flight sim x will OWN an unstable overclock everytime. LOL.

Thats actually very true. When I tried a new OC (3,45Ghz) it was stable in Orthos for around half an hour and stable in every game, but Crysis would crash within a minute. Lowered the OC back to my old OC (3,3Ghz) and stock voltage, it never crashed at all for a total of 20+h, same drivers, settings and everything else.

JasonPC
10-05-07, 11:29 AM
So has this been confirmed in any way? Makes me worried to play it.

nemecb
10-05-07, 11:32 AM
If It's not Prime95 stable for at least 8 hours (preferably more) then it's not stable. And I have had overclocks that failed after multiple hours, so it's not just a hypothetical thing.

3DBrad
10-05-07, 11:55 AM
Fine here, no issues with the beta.

Destroy
10-05-07, 12:01 PM
So has this been confirmed in any way? Makes me worried to play it.

No confirm cause its like only 3 people and they probaby overclock and then blame the game. :rolleyes:

The beta is solid as a rock for me. Fast loading. Never locked up. Never crashed.

evox
10-05-07, 02:08 PM
Crashed only once, when I tried to Run and jump on a boat. the system locked up and had to manually reset it. thankfully, it was a one-time thing :) working great now.

Dragunov
10-05-07, 05:24 PM
Well it's still a BETA, and u know not to run a BETA on a machine u use every day and if u do, well don't say u lost all ur data, cause I guess it's in the contract not to install beta software on a work machine