Pages : [1] 2

Rummy
10-04-07, 01:00 AM
Is this possible?

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/243340-extreme-crysis-beta-warning.html

CaptNKILL
10-04-07, 01:28 AM
Thats a bit scary.

Anything is possible really. Its not very likely, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if it was true.

nutcrackr
10-04-07, 02:25 AM
I bet this is another BS rumour

SH64
10-04-07, 02:40 AM
Wait wait wait!! thats exactly what happened to my friend!!!!

he called me yesterday & told me how his OS get completely f*cked up after installing the Crysis beta. he is dual-booting on XP & Vista. now XP is not working correctly & in Vista many files are corrupted & the beta file itself is missing! :eek:

now that someone confirmed it , i can believe it is a serious issue but probably not for many.

Dreamingawake
10-04-07, 02:44 AM
:headexplode: :headexplode:

geez.. this is ridiculous.

it actually happened to me too. had to re-install vista, but, at the time
i didn't think it was related to the beta........

sux hardcore, i love this game, don't want to uninstall it.. but.. now i'm
scared that i should........

EDIT: it happened to me with Beta 2.. using beta 3 now.. I wonder..

Blade
10-04-07, 02:45 AM
Bah, dual booting here & running Crysis Beta since 1st release, no probs at all.
Crysis running in XP as Vista performance with Crysis is crap compared to XP atm.

SH64
10-04-07, 04:26 AM
EDIT: it happened to me with Beta 2.. using beta 3 now.. I wonder..
Be warned the problem my friend had was when he just started to install the beta 3.

3DBrad
10-04-07, 09:20 AM
I had the same thing after installing a game demo a few months back.

nekrosoft13
10-04-07, 09:32 AM
when PC is running and for no reason it shut down or gets BSOD. There is always a change that a file might get corrupted.

This could happen when you view this website, not likelly, but its possible.

Just because it happened while you played the game, doesn't mean the game is to blame.

3DBrad
10-04-07, 10:12 AM
With mine, what was happening is that sure, it would POST and everything, as that has nothing to do with the OS, however, it wouldn't even go into safe mode.

It would attempt to go into safemode, but would just freeze.

I could have possibly just "repaired" the installation, but I format too often to worry about "repairing" an OS installation. :)

madmossy
10-04-07, 11:35 AM
Thread title should be renamed to "Idiotic Users can corrupt OS".

Crysis has been perfectly fine for me since Beta 1 and im running Vista 64 the most hated of all winblows OS's (from a developer standpoint :P)

nekrosoft13
10-04-07, 11:43 AM
beta3? when did that happen?

Eliminator
10-04-07, 12:52 PM
doesnt suprise me tbh.... i had 2 crashes to desktop and one time i got a black screen and had to hard reset my PC... all that was while trying to join a server... thing is i kept trying to join... now i actually wait for it to time out and hasnt crashed since... my XP installation is fine... i better check vista just to be sure when i get home

mojoman0
10-04-07, 01:02 PM
my 2nd HD almost hit the crapper after 1 reset. It took scan disk like 3 attempts to repair the drive after windows wouldnt let me have access. whew, not sure if this is crysis related but it happened one reset after installing..

Mr_LoL
10-04-07, 01:30 PM
When is the demo supposed to be out anyway?

|JuiceZ|
10-04-07, 01:37 PM
When is the demo supposed to be out anyway?

Oct 25th.

Destroy
10-04-07, 01:46 PM
Oct 25th.

Nope. Oct 26th. (You prolly got the 25 from the old date, Sept 25th.)

http://www.crysisdemo.com/

CaptNKILL
10-04-07, 04:09 PM

Crysis has been perfectly fine for me since Beta 1 and im running Vista 64 the most hated of all winblows OS's (from a developer standpoint :P)
Yeah, people like to go into their windows folder and corrupt files after Crysis crashes their system... :retard:

Are you serious? A recurring problem with a game beta crashing and corrupting system files sounds a lot more reasonable than users corrupting system files somehow and blaming it on the game. :p

The reason it isn't happening to everyone is most likely because its a bug and it doesn't happen all the time on every system. :|

nemecb
10-04-07, 04:14 PM
Noes! Teh client tazered my peesee!

Sorry, couldn't resist.;)

Lfctony
10-04-07, 04:28 PM

And just because YOU didn't have any problems, no one else will right? Are you serious?

madmossy
10-04-07, 04:36 PM
Yeah im serious, i just dont think a game which doesnt access system files can corrupt them, sure the display drivers or sound drivers which do have access to system files most notibly the ntdll.dll file which is the route of all evil is what gets broken most often.

Now if the display drivers cause the above mentioned file to die is that the fault of the game or the hardware manufacturer.

I've had problems with beta sure, its crashed on me, if encounter problems but ive never known of a game to destroy the OS and ive been gaming on the PC for close to 20 years.

CaptNKILL
10-04-07, 08:19 PM
Yeah im serious, i just dont think a game which doesnt access system files can corrupt them, sure the display drivers or sound drivers which do have access to system files most notibly the ntdll.dll file which is the route of all evil is what gets broken most often.

Now if the display drivers cause the above mentioned file to die is that the fault of the game or the hardware manufacturer.

I've had problems with beta sure, its crashed on me, if encounter problems but ive never known of a game to destroy the OS and ive been gaming on the PC for close to 20 years.
System files are always being used. If there is a system file in memory that is integral to the operating system and a program crashes in a way that causes that file to develop some junk data, it'd probably be corrupt.

I'm not saying this a thing that happens all the time (or ever) but I'm definitely not ruling everything out just because I've been playing games my whole life and never experienced it. I've seen files corrupt and deleted when programs crash, I see no reason why a game can't do it to an important system file in rare circumstances.

Also, even if it is the fault of a driver and Crysis is the only game that causes the problem to surface... then... isn't Crysis in fact corrupting the operating system? It has nothing to do with "idiotic users". :rolleyes:

nemecb
10-04-07, 11:34 PM
System files are always being used. If there is a system file in memory that is integral to the operating system and a program crashes in a way that causes that file to develop some junk data, it'd probably be corrupt.
Except that it would then have to write the corrupted in-memory version of the file back to disk, and I can't see any reason that it would do that. In fact I don't see why anything except a system update would be writing to a system file at all, they're there for apps to use, not alter.

I suppose it's possible they're overwriting DLL's or something, I know that used to go on a fair amount (is it even still allowed?), but it's hard to believe they would completely bork a system (especially a clean install as in the one case). Any chance one of the sites got a trojaned copy of the demo?

agentkay
10-04-07, 11:53 PM
It's possible, plenty of people downloaded the betas by torrents. I personally only did that with beta2, but used fileplanet with beta3... no problems so far. :confused: Well, I hope the guys do file a bug in the bugtracker and/or post it in the betaforums because something like this is quite critical.

Eliminator
10-04-07, 11:59 PM
It's possible, plenty of people downloaded the betas by torrents. I personally only did that with beta2, but used fileplanet with beta3... no problems so far. :confused: Well, I hope the guys do file a bug in the bugtracker and/or post it in the betaforums because something like this is quite critical.
its already on the beta forum.... also i checked my vista install and its fine so no issues so far