PDA

View Full Version : Thick thermal pads? Need ASAP

mythy
10-05-07, 12:02 PM
I have a abit quad GT and I pulled off the regulators heat sink and it had a thick thermal pad installed. I tried AS5 but it don't make full contact. I need a thermal pad and it has to be thick!

Ideas?

agentkay
10-05-07, 12:13 PM
Do you have a silicone based thermal grease? I always used a thick layer of that stuff when the gap was too large. It might not be the perfect solution but in my experience actually better than the thermal pads that were originally used which rather isolated the heat instead of moving it to the heatsink.

By the way, I'd not recommend AS5 on anything else but the GPU or CPU core.

mythy
10-05-07, 12:17 PM
I got a tube. Do you think I should just glob it on? God I wish I could find some thick thermal pads. :(

agentkay
10-05-07, 12:27 PM
There is another option which is more effective but it takes a lot more work. You'd need to measure out the gap and get a slightly thinner sheet of copper, and use thermal glue (or it might actually stick enough with AS5) to glue it on the heatsink and then you'd just apply some thermal grease on that copper socket/spacer. I'd also lap the contact sides (of the spacer, and the headsink) with a mirror finish if'd go for that option but thats just me. :)

Maybe somebody else will have a better idea or solution, either way, good luck!