PDA

View Full Version : P35 vs. X38

DRen72
10-05-07, 12:52 PM
I was reading this article over at Legion Hardware...http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=689 and it compares an ASUS P5K3 Deluxe (Intel P35) to an ASUS P5E3 Deluxe (Intel X38). The conclusion is as follows...

For now we have determined that for those of you like us that prefer to use a single graphics card, there is little to no difference between the X38 and the P35 chipsets. In terms of performance they are very much the same, overclocking performance appears to be the same and both offer the same list of features. The key difference here is that the P35 has been around for quite some time now and high-end motherboards supporting this chipset can be had for between $150-$200 US. On the other hand we have the new X38 chipset which will be featured on boards priced between $250-$300 US initially, while pricing is expected to fall to around $200 US eventually.

Therefore unless you plan to build a Crossfire system, there is no point in purchasing an X38 motherboard as it will offer you nothing over an existing P35 motherboard. The Crossfire performance of the X38 chipset should be far more impressive depending on the game used. In the past we have found that PCI Express x4 reduces a graphics cards performance by around 50%, which could obviously really hurt Crossfire performance for those using P35 motherboards. Therefore running both graphics cards at full speed could see a reasonable gain in performance.

At the end of the day the X38 chipset is a high-end solution designed to be paired with the greatest and most expensive motherboards the market has to offer. Only those who wish to build a Crossfire system need it and you should only use the Radeon HD 2900XT, as it is currently the fastest graphics card AMD has on offer. Therefore, if you can afford to spend $300 US on a motherboard and around $800 US on the accompanying graphics cards, then we can safely assume you have money to burn and value for money is not a serious consideration. For the rest of us, the P35 chipset seems like a better value option paired with a single AMD or Nvidia Graphics card.

Opinions? I still think that if the prices are about the same, there is no reason not to get the X38 over a P35.

CaptNKILL
10-05-07, 01:02 PM
My P35 board was around $130 and its been awesome. :)

methimpikehoses
10-05-07, 01:52 PM
P35's are hard to pass up because they're so affordable... I couldn't pass it up. :)

Monolyth
10-05-07, 03:44 PM
If you want to over-clock wait for the X48 in '08, it will allow higher FSB as well as a fix to Intel EIST.

Muppet
10-05-07, 08:38 PM
If you want to over-clock wait for the X48 in '08, it will allow higher FSB as well as a fix to Intel EIST.
All I could hope for in an Intel board is SLI. Oh please let it be so.

KasuCode
10-06-07, 12:48 AM
SLI could happen on a P35 Board and I bet it might after skulltrail is released maybe even before. Just requires a SLI chip called N100, motherboard manufactors can put on the boards. Its how they get SLI on Intel notebooks and now skulltrail.

But I love my P35, one of the best boards ive owned.

Muppet
10-06-07, 03:45 AM
SLI could happen on a P35 Board and I bet it might after skulltrail is released maybe even before. Just requires a SLI chip called N100, motherboard manufactors can put on the boards. Its how they get SLI on Intel notebooks and now skulltrail.

But I love my P35, one of the best boards ive owned.
I just hope they do. Hell i'm prepared to pay top dollar for one to.

giverz
10-06-07, 06:25 PM
what about the 965? my $99 ds3 does 457fsb 24/7.

TheSmJ
10-07-07, 12:32 PM
Speaking of Crossfire in general:

Why would an Intel chipset use an ATI/AMD method to control multiple GPUs, especially since you need to use ATI/AMD products to take advantage of it?

Blacklash
10-08-07, 12:15 AM
My mobo was 70usd with rebate from Mwave. I was on i975x and was tired of its crappy overclocking with quad core so I decided I'd try a cheap P35 mobo. Very glad I did. I couldn't get over 9 x 390 FSB on my old mobo with quad. Also this mobo initializes correctly with my GTX. With other much more expensive mobos I'd need to turn my monitor on and off to get a signal when I would restart. I've booted all the way up to 4.0GHz with this mobo and I can't hold that stable on air, save for a few Pi runs or surfing the net :p

If you want to run Crossfire definitely wait for X38. It will be 16 x 2 instead of 8 x 2 like i975x, or 16 x 4 like P965|35.

DRen72
10-08-07, 08:20 AM
Seems like most of the "Deluxe" X38 boards utilize DDR3. This is the first time I've had trouble selecting a good board to use. I'm interested in the features of the Asus P5E3 Deluxe, but its DDR3 only. There is apparently not going to be a P5E Deluxe that uses DDR2 and I'm not interested in the Maximus because it requires water cooling.

Cost wise, I might be better off with P35 and DDR2 when I upgrade to the QX9650 in November but the X38 and DDR3 is more appealing.

ViN86
10-08-07, 08:45 AM
Seems like most of the "Deluxe" X38 boards utilize DDR3. This is the first time I've had trouble selecting a good board to use. I'm interested in the features of the Asus P5E3 Deluxe, but its DDR3 only. There is apparently not going to be a P5E Deluxe that uses DDR2 and I'm not interested in the Maximus because it requires water cooling.

Cost wise, I might be better off with P35 and DDR2 when I upgrade to the QX9650 in November but the X38 and DDR3 is more appealing.
Intel's quick adoption of new tech is a double-edged sword imo.

nekrosoft13
10-08-07, 08:48 AM
Speaking of Crossfire in general:

Why would an Intel chipset use an ATI/AMD method to control multiple GPUs, especially since you need to use ATI/AMD products to take advantage of it?

they signed a contract agreement before AMD acquired ATI.

i find it hilarious that AMD still depends on Nvidia to make them chipsets for new CPUs, because their worthless ATI division can't.

nekrosoft13
10-08-07, 08:50 AM

stick with DDR2, its much much better choice now. By your next upgrade cycle DDR3 will be wise no choice.

DRen72
10-08-07, 03:07 PM
stick with DDR2, its much much better choice now. By your next upgrade cycle DDR3 will be wise no choice. If money was no factor, would you still recommend DDR2?

methimpikehoses
10-10-07, 01:34 AM
Tech Report just released some X38 info and benchies.

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/13351

v3rninater
10-10-07, 01:56 AM
Those have to be beta drivers with that X38, otherwise, I'm glad I purchased my 680i. It's actually on par between the 38 and 35, some tests make the 680i look better, unless my eyes deceive me.