PDA

View Full Version : My HR-03 plus cooler

SOAD
10-07-07, 02:24 PM
I knew I was crap at thermal paste.

Didnt know how crap though :(

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Have tried stock gloop and AS5. Ram sinks on fine.

Without the fan im looking at temps 128oc + :eek:

with fan im looking at 80oc.

I spread a bit of paste over Heatsink and GPU. Its not to thick etc

Where is the sensor on the card?

Im pulling my hair out atm :(

pross
10-07-07, 02:43 PM
i take it oyu have all 4 little black rubber spacer washers, and the square white pad under the X bracket? and its screwed up tight?

ATOJAR
10-07-07, 02:45 PM
You sure the ram heatsinks & the HR-03 Plus are on correctly? them temps are way to high! .... with my cards overclocks my card idles at 48c - 50c(depending on room temps) ... under load i get temps of 65c max(running atitool atifact scanner for 2 hours +) .... im using AS5 thermal compound & a 92mm fan! you sure the cooler is flush with the GPU DIE? ... what are you using to read the temps? ... i know people who have a GTX's and get a lower temp on passive cooling than you have with a fan!

You did cover the full GPU chip right? ....... i didnt even apply any to the HR-03 Plus, just put a very very thin layer on the GPU DIE its self.

SOAD
10-08-07, 02:12 PM
sorry for not replying sooner.

I put the screws and washers on all right.

I have tried many varients including:

lots of paste on both heatsink (hs) and gpu
just on gpu thinly
on both thinly.

mythy
10-08-07, 02:18 PM
uhh load should be 65-70 MAX!!!!! Please explain to us how YOU install the thermal paste. There is only 1 proper way to do this and it makes all the difference in the world!;)

You need to take the Heatsink block and take some scotch tape and put 2 pieces "1" on each side onto the heat sink so that it is on each edge of the block. Then take a razor blade and spread the MX-2 (not AS5) onto the heat sink. Go back and forth several times until you have a Perfectly even and super thin spread. Peal off the tape spacers you were using and whala its perfect.

Also make sure you install it with the heat sink in such away that its under the card. Don't do the over the card install so that the heat sink is on top of the card. It sucks big time. Also use a higher RPM fan say 2000+

ATOJAR
10-08-07, 03:19 PM
You need to take the Heatsink block and take some scotch tape and put 2 pieces "1" on each side onto the heat sink so that it is on each edge of the block. Then take a razor blade and spread the MX-2 (not AS5) onto the heat sink. Go back and forth several times until you have a Perfectly even and super thin spread. Peal off the tape spacers you were using and whala its perfect.

Well i didnt do any of that! and i used arctic silver 5 .... i put a blob of AS5 about the size of a grain of rice on the GPU DIE only and spread it out with my finger so it covered the full chip, put the HR-03 on and thats it, my load temp is 65c max .... even with my overclock!

I just cant understand what hes doing wrong.

SOAD
10-08-07, 03:50 PM
I dont know but its driving me up the ****ing wall.

Im bouncing off 130oc and its crashing hte pc. I have a burn on my hand where I touche dthe cooler :(

I took it off again. THe paste is evenly spread and is very thin.

Im so annoyed.

DRen72
10-08-07, 03:59 PM
Can you clarify that the RAM sinks are on correctly using the supplied thermal tape?

ATOJAR
10-08-07, 05:05 PM
Can you clarify that the RAM sinks are on correctly using the supplied thermal tape?

EDIT: sorry read the question wrong, I thought you said Paste not tape! :P my bad.

SOAD
10-08-07, 05:18 PM
yep its the stuff that it came with. They are on fine.

have reapplied again ^_^

ATOJAR
10-08-07, 05:36 PM
I really cant understand what your doing wrong(thats if it a your fault)! you have the ram heasinks on right, thermal paste applied correctly, the HR-03 on correctly, a fan on there! .... sorry its baffled me, its really strange ...... just for the record what temps where you getting with the stock cooler at stock fan speed?

SOAD
10-08-07, 05:43 PM
They wernt the best. They rose to around 86oc at load :o

Airbrushkid
10-08-07, 05:44 PM
But that way your blowing hot air onto the card.

Also make sure you install it with the heat sink in such away that its under the card. Don't do the over the card install so that the heat sink is on top of the card. It sucks big time. Also use a higher RPM fan say 2000+

ATOJAR
10-08-07, 05:44 PM
Thats not to bad for load temp! ... ive seen higher.

ATOJAR
10-08-07, 05:47 PM
It just seems more scence to me to put the HR-03 heatsink below the card(how i have mine) .... this way your fan is blowing some air onto the underside of the boad, onto the ram heatsinks & other components, not only that but testing shows better results this way!

Airbrushkid
10-08-07, 05:52 PM
Did you see this review mounting it both ways?

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=557

andy_nv
10-08-07, 06:01 PM
Clean both the GPU and heatsink surfaces with rubbing alcohol -Isopropyl alcohol- it's still the best way to clean the paste and degrease the surface (and I've tried ArcticClean :p).
If it's an old tube of AS5 make sure the paste isn't a bit "liquid", even though Arctic claims no separation after 6 or 8 months it tends to become more liquid, maybe time to buy a new one (been in this situation recently). Normal/good AS5 should feel like spreading peanut butter :D
Use something like a credit card to spread the paste after you put a small drop only on the GPU surface, not the heatsink. Make sure you don't end up getting AS5 on something other than the GPU.

SOAD
10-09-07, 07:18 AM
Clean both the GPU and heatsink surfaces with rubbing alcohol -Isopropyl alcohol- it's still the best way to clean the paste and degrease the surface (and I've tried ArcticClean :p).
If it's an old tube of AS5 make sure the paste isn't a bit "liquid", even though Arctic claims no separation after 6 or 8 months it tends to become more liquid, maybe time to buy a new one (been in this situation recently). Normal/good AS5 should feel like spreading peanut butter :D
Use something like a credit card to spread the paste after you put a small drop only on the GPU surface, not the heatsink. Make sure you don't end up getting AS5 on something other than the GPU.

thanks for that ^_^

The as5 is fine i think. I use russian vodka to clean it so that could be it :o I dont have anything stronger in the house :o. Its 50% proof so might be enough.

CaptNKILL
10-09-07, 07:23 AM
I use russian vodka to clean it so that could be it :o
:lol2:

That... is the first time I've ever read that on a tech forum.

Congrats SOAD... :headexplode:

SOAD
10-09-07, 07:36 AM
:lol2:

That... is the first time I've ever read that on a tech forum.

Congrats SOAD... :headexplode:

What else could I use :D

:headexplode:

Dont tell me....... lol

Ive always used it :o Its keeping my CPU at 30oc ^_^

Is this the problemm then?

andy_nv
10-09-07, 03:26 PM
Depends on purity :p

SH0DAN
10-11-07, 03:16 AM
I dont know but its driving me up the ****ing wall.

Im bouncing off 130oc and its crashing hte pc. I have a burn on my hand where I touche dthe cooler :(

I took it off again. THe paste is evenly spread and is very thin.

Im so annoyed.

You have not mounted it right.I am not using a fan on mine and dont see temps over 92c ~