PDA

View Full Version : Help: My computer is turning off!

dreavus
10-08-07, 10:25 AM
!*!*!*!SOLVED!*!*!*!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Computer never did this, not even once, before I had to reinstall windows on a new HDD because the other one died. When i added the new HDD I also added a new grapics card(Radeon X1600XT w/ 256MB) and 2 extra ram chips(512MB each).

So far i only noticed this happening in 2 different programs, Shoddy Battle (A pokemon online battle simulator) and Dark Age of Camelot. (A MMORPG)

In Shoddy Battle when every I try to battle someone when if both people accept the battle and it begins to load it my computer just turns off, not any lag or shutdown message just like pulling the plug.

In DAoC when ever i try to log in a character after it is done loading the area and begins to flip over to the game it (as in going from the loading screen to the acutual game) my computer just turns off, not any lag or shutdown message just like pulling the plug.

When this was happening to Shoddy Battle I didnt really care because it was not that impportant.

Now after i installed DAoC I see its doing the same thing.

I need to fix this I really want to play this game!

I tryed switching back to the older graphics card(Radeon 9800 Pro w/128MB) and taking out the extra ram but it dossent help!

After my computer reboots i get a message that says "The system has recovered from a serious error."

*Also on a side note: There have been very few instances where it would work the first time but then turnoff on the seccond time, as in the first batle/login would work fine but then the second battle/login would cause the computer the turnoff*

One last thing, could it be the HDD?

Dragunov
10-08-07, 12:52 PM
overheating?

ViN86
10-08-07, 01:38 PM
My Computer never did this, not even once, before I had to reinstall windows on a new HDD because the other one died. When i added the new HDD I also added a new grapics card(Radeon X1600XT w/ 256MB) and 2 extra ram chips(512MB each).

So far i only noticed this happening in 2 different programs, Shoddy Battle (A pokemon online battle simulator) and Dark Age of Camelot. (A MMORPG)

In Shoddy Battle when every I try to battle someone when if both people accept the battle and it begins to load it my computer just turns off, not any lag or shutdown message just like pulling the plug.

In DAoC when ever i try to log in a character after it is done loading the area and begins to flip over to the game it (as in going from the loading screen to the acutual game) my computer just turns off, not any lag or shutdown message just like pulling the plug.

When this was happening to Shoddy Battle I didnt really care because it was not that impportant.

Now after i installed DAoC I see its doing the same thing.

I need to fix this I really want to play this game!

I tryed switching back to the older graphics card(Radeon 9800 Pro w/128MB) and taking out the extra ram but it dossent help!

After my computer reboots i get a message that says "The system has recovered from a serious error."

*Also on a side note: There have been very few instances where it would work the first time but then turnoff on the seccond time, as in the first batle/login would work fine but then the second battle/login would cause the computer the turnoff*

One last thing, could it be the HDD?
two possible problems.

POWER SUPPLY: ppl underestimate how crucial this little box is to their machine. if you upgraded your vid card, you probably increased the power draw. you could be drawing too much power causin your machine to turn off.

RAM/HDD: check Event Viewer and look for critical errors. if you have memory based errors, it could be your hard drive and/or RAM. could also be your power supply (ie cant supply enough power, causes errors, causes windows to save itself and jump ship (read: turn off)). tbh, theres a good chance its the new memory you installed.

also, please update your signature (in User CP) and add your specs to your signature. post your Amp rating on your 12V rail of your power supply as well.

for future reference, when you do big upgrades, do one piece at a time. like if i were to do what you did i would first install the hard drive, then install windows, then put in the memory, run some memory tests, then install the video card, then install all the drivers. that way you can narrow it down to one piece of hardware if you run into problems. cant tell you how many times ive done multiple hardware swaps only to find out one thing didnt work lol. :)

|JuiceZ|
10-08-07, 01:59 PM
Follow ViN86's advice, whenever your pc starts rebooting itself, the psu is the first thing to check.

dreavus
10-08-07, 02:29 PM

I changed it back and it still doing the same thing, so it cant be the need for more power. can it?

Also how would i do those test you discribed, like check Event Viewer or Amp rating on your 12V rail of your power supply.

Ill add my specs to a sig atvm. (would that be the stuff in the DxDiag under System Information)

Also the reason this is so weird to me is that is does it every time at the exact same time in certain programs, i could let my PC idel for hours at the login screen for DAoC but as soon it trys to play ingame it when its cuts off. I guess it could be the power supply, this PC is about 5 years old.

*edit* was this what i needed to find in the Event Viewer?
http://www.freewebs.com/dreavus/syserror.PNG
The times seem to be about right for the the number of tryes i did through the day switch parts around.

If it is my power supply, what do i do? would i need to get a different one or do i change some kind of setting for the power.

ViN86
10-08-07, 07:33 PM
I changed it back and it still doing the same thing, so it cant be the need for more power. can it?

Also how would i do those test you discribed, like check Event Viewer or Amp rating on your 12V rail of your power supply.

Ill add my specs to a sig atvm. (would that be the stuff in the DxDiag under System Information)

Also the reason this is so weird to me is that is does it every time at the exact same time in certain programs, i could let my PC idel for hours at the login screen for DAoC but as soon it trys to play ingame it when its cuts off. I guess it could be the power supply, this PC is about 5 years old.

*edit* was this what i needed to find in the Event Viewer?
http://www.freewebs.com/dreavus/syserror.PNG
The times seem to be about right for the the number of tryes i did through the day switch parts around.

If it is my power supply, what do i do? would i need to get a different one or do i change some kind of setting for the power.
tbh it's probably your RAM.

run this for an hour or so....

http://www.memtest86.com/

download the bootable disc image, burn it, then insert the disc and reboot your computer (leave the disc in to boot off of it). let the test make at least 3 full passes.

dreavus
10-08-07, 08:16 PM
tbh it's probably your RAM.

run this for an hour or so....

http://www.memtest86.com/

download the bootable disc image, burn it, then insert the disc and reboot your computer (leave the disc in to boot off of it). let the test make at least 3 full passes.

Ok, im starting it now.

*hope i burned it right*

ViN86
10-09-07, 10:14 AM
Ok, im starting it now.

*hope i burned it right*
howd the test go?

dreavus
10-09-07, 10:24 AM
howd the test go?
I let it run all night and it went through 5 passes and had 0 errors.

*EDIT*
Well, I tryed doing tests i can think of to see if it is the power supply. First i took out 3 of the 4 ram chips, unpluged my second HDD and my DVD drive, and put in the older video card. It still turned off while I was trying to login. Second, i put all the stuff back in and got a different power supply from my other computer that died earler this year and it still turned off when i was trying to login.

So any othe power supply tests i can do? or start testing somthing else?
this may help you, it is the Error signature from the error report i get from starting up from it turning off.

BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : 00000010 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 00000010 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Also when i disable automatc restart to see the stop error i get this:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000010, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000010)

ViN86
10-09-07, 02:45 PM
I let it run all night and it went through 5 passes and had 0 errors.

*EDIT*
Well, I tryed doing tests i can think of to see if it is the power supply. First i took out 3 of the 4 ram chips, unpluged my second HDD and my DVD drive, and put in the older video card. It still turned off while I was trying to login. Second, i put all the stuff back in and got a different power supply from my other computer that died earler this year and it still turned off when i was trying to login.

So any othe power supply tests i can do? or start testing somthing else?
this may help you, it is the Error signature from the error report i get from starting up from it turning off.

BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : 00000010 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 00000010 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Also when i disable automatc restart to see the stop error i get this:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000010, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000010)
check your IRQ's for conflicts. (i believe you can do this with everest? maybe?).

also, try re-installing your video drivers and also try installing previous versions of the driver.
see if you can find a driver to get your games running stable.

after reading your error, it seems your error is due to your video card. this could be because your power supply is not supplying enough juice, because the driver you are using was installed improperly (or has errors), because you are getting errors with your RAM (unlikely since memtest passed), or a problem with your video card physically.

if i were a betting man, id put my money on the drivers or the power supply.

dreavus
10-09-07, 07:36 PM
if i were a betting man, id put my money on the drivers or the power supply.

FINALY, with my old Radeon 9800 Pro and using old drivers i found on the web(ATI Catalyst 5.10 Driver) the problem is gone! I relogged and re battled a fe wtime in a row just to make sure it was one of those few intances.

Thank you very much ViN86, I hope i can became as half as good as you are after my PC support class next semiester!

on a side note: I need to call up microsoft to reactive windows because i reached my limit on hardware changes. :(

ViN86
10-09-07, 08:21 PM
FINALY, with my old Radeon 9800 Pro and using old drivers i found on the web(ATI Catalyst 5.10 Driver) the problem is gone! I relogged and re battled a fe wtime in a row just to make sure it was one of those few intances.

Thank you very much ViN86, I hope i can became as half as good as you are after my PC support class next semiester!

on a side note: I need to call up microsoft to reactive windows because i reached my limit on hardware changes. :(
np dreavus :D

the only reason i knew what you were goin through is cause, well, ive been there myself! lol.

glad to hear you got it workin :)