PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Cooling System

Pages : [1] 2

CHEVYMAN_02
10-08-07, 04:00 PM
I am thinking about using a liquid cooling system on my new computer and was wondering which one is the best?

Gaco
10-08-07, 04:42 PM
I'm using the ThermalTake Kandalf LCS and it's awesome IMO :D

It's build in (or rather included with the cabinet and it's designed to be used with it) and it performs great. You could check out ThermalTakes LCS solutions :)

LORD-eX-Bu
10-08-07, 05:26 PM
build your own, you will save yourself money and you will see better cooling performance.

Visit this (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70) forum for all the info you need on building your own custom setup.

Gaco
10-09-07, 07:01 AM
Sure you may. But 27*C idle, 32* load on CPU is pretty darn good if you ask me and the liquad it goes all around to graphicscard and northbridge also...

schuey74
10-10-07, 12:18 PM
Sure you may. But 27*C idle, 32* load on CPU is pretty darn good if you ask me and the liquad it goes all around to graphicscard and northbridge also...
Sorry dude, but your numbers make zero sense. 32c load on a quad core with a 8800 GTX and the NB on the same loop - NO WAY. That is unless you're enjoying your Danish winter indoors as well.....but if you were, your idle wouldn't be 27c.

Load all four cores (prime) and atitool to stress the 8800 for 1/2 an hour. I doubt your load temps will be below 50c on either your cpu or gpu. ;)

Gaco
10-11-07, 01:43 PM
Sorry dude, but your numbers make zero sense. 32c load on a quad core with a 8800 GTX and the NB on the same loop - NO WAY. That is unless you're enjoying your Danish winter indoors as well.....but if you were, your idle wouldn't be 27c.

Load all four cores (prime) and atitool to stress the 8800 for 1/2 an hour. I doubt your load temps will be below 50c on either your cpu or gpu. ;)
Couldn't care less wheter you believe me or not.. But FYI 3Dgameman got just about the same results in his Kandalf LCD review: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3506191709320105459&hl=en-CA, it's at the 5:30 mark. And I measured after 2 hours of MoH: Airborne gameplay everthing maxed in native res.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-11-07, 01:59 PM
3Dgameman is homo :rofl

schuey74
10-11-07, 02:19 PM
Couldn't care less wheter you believe me or not.. But FYI 3Dgameman got just about the same results in his Kandalf LCD review: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3506191709320105459&hl=en-CA, it's at the 5:30 mark. And I measured after 2 hours of MoH: Airborne gameplay everthing maxed in native res.

The video you linked to is for a dual core by itself on the loop and the temps were two degrees higher than you are claiming on a quad core w/ the NB and an 8800 GTX. So there is absolutely no comparison there. None, zero, zip, zilch.

Again, I suggest you do the following: Load all four cores 100% (orthos or TAT would be fine) and fully load the GPU with either ATItool or rthdribl. Do that for 20 - 30 minutes and then take a screenshot.

And then don't even bother posting the screenshot. Just admit you were mistaken and move along. It's not even physics 101, it's common sense 101. An average pump, 3/8" id tubing, and three blocks in the loop would even lose to high-end air cooling when it comes to your CPU temps.

Please don't kill the messenger. :)

Xion X2
10-11-07, 02:47 PM
Playing games is not "loading" a processor. You can only truly "load" a processor with Prime or Orthos.

That's what most enthusiasts refer to as "load", not playing games. All of our CPUs run in the 30s/40s while playing games for the most part.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-11-07, 02:51 PM
mines runs about 50-60*C, gotta dust the radiator off :rofl

Xion X2
10-11-07, 03:13 PM
mines runs about 50-60*C, gotta dust the radiator off :rofl
Holy #*!( You must have cobwebs all up in there too. Watch out for the bats that might fly out. :rofl

LORD-eX-Bu
10-11-07, 04:25 PM
haha, its been six months :lol:

stncttr908
10-11-07, 05:22 PM
My Thermochill does the job. After a few hours in TF2 the fins are a bit warm to the touch. ;)

LORD-eX-Bu
10-11-07, 06:32 PM
I really wanted to mount a PA120.2 in my TJ-09 but there wasn't any room, so I had to settle for a MCR220. Still cools good, gonna get better fans and clean the whole thing out here in a couple of days :D

when I first set it up I would idle at around 33*C.

how do you have yours mounted? Is it external? maybe I should go that route and use a shroud. I just wanted to keep everything inside and perty lookin' :D

Gaco
10-14-07, 06:06 PM
The video you linked to is for a dual core by itself on the loop and the temps were two degrees higher than you are claiming on a quad core w/ the NB and an 8800 GTX. So there is absolutely no comparison there. None, zero, zip, zilch.

Again, I suggest you do the following: Load all four cores 100% (orthos or TAT would be fine) and fully load the GPU with either ATItool or rthdribl. Do that for 20 - 30 minutes and then take a screenshot.

And then don't even bother posting the screenshot. Just admit you were mistaken and move along. It's not even physics 101, it's common sense 101. An average pump, 3/8" id tubing, and three blocks in the loop would even lose to high-end air cooling when it comes to your CPU temps.

Please don't kill the messenger. :)
Admit mistaken? I just measured CPU temp yesterday also after having played HL2:E2 and Portals and completing them both in 10 hours: 45*C, which is just 5*C above my normal 40*C I have because I just overcloced 25% to 3ghz. Do you really want me to play a whole day without the overclock and test to see if it's around mid 35's by then? Nope I have better things to do than convincing people of my superior cooling equipment :p

Another friend of mine just bought a similar PC (P35 chipset, 4gb ram, Q6600 etc.), just with a recommended 40$ Zalman CPU cooler. Guess what his temp. was 58-60*C at IDLE! This you argue should loose to my setup, it's common sense? So either my AND my other friend with the exact same setup, have faulty temp. sensors or you're full of it...

schuey74
10-14-07, 07:00 PM
Admit mistaken? I just measured CPU temp yesterday also after having played HL2:E2 and Portals and completing them both in 10 hours: 45*C, which is just 5*C above my normal 40*C I have because I just overcloced 25% to 3ghz. Do you really want me to play a whole day without the overclock and test to see if it's around mid 35's by then? Nope I have better things to do than convincing people of my superior cooling equipment :p

Another friend of mine just bought a similar PC (P35 chipset, 4gb ram, Q6600 etc.), just with a recommended 40$ Zalman CPU cooler. Guess what his temp. was 58-60*C at IDLE! This you argue should loose to my setup, it's common sense? So either my AND my other friend with the exact same setup, have faulty temp. sensors or you're full of it...Plenty of other people have already told you how wrong you are. And then when you suddenly change from a claimed 32c under load to 45c and some how think no one would notice. It makes it quite obvious who's full of it. Man, you're a joke. You just admitted you were wrong and you don't think anyone's going to notice that? :rolleyes:

Buckeye
10-15-07, 11:25 AM
Nice case, but would it hold my PSU, that sucker is huge.

schuey74
10-15-07, 02:12 PM
Swiftech and Danger Den for the win.
:thumbsup:

Xion X2
10-15-07, 05:16 PM
Thermaltake sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

Swiftech and Danger Den for the win.

+2

D-tek's not bad either. I'm getting really good temps w/ my Fuzion on this quad.

Gaco
10-15-07, 05:51 PM
Plenty of other people have already told you how wrong you are. And then when you suddenly change from a claimed 32c under load to 45c and some how think no one would notice. It makes it quite obvious who's full of it. Man, you're a joke. You just admitted you were wrong and you don't think anyone's going to notice that? :rolleyes:
Because I just overclocked with 25% you imbicile!

I don't need this, I've tested it numorous of times with different programs, loaded the CPU with games all days, checking temps in BIOS and PC Wizard, checking my external drivebay tempatures. Anyone has yet to tell me why the objective tests and factual numbers would be wrong. Would you accept it if somebody just told you "you are wrong" without giving you any reason or explanation whatsoever? Didn't think so...

LORD-eX-Bu
10-15-07, 08:41 PM
maybe Gaco has his radiator in a freezer :D

as was suggested on XS, use something like Intel Thermal Analysis Tool, Prime 95, or Orthos to load test your cpu. Open up either Core Temp or Speedfan and post a screenshot of your temps under full load, that would settle everything :)

Xion X2
10-15-07, 09:23 PM

I don't need this, I've tested it numorous of times with different programs, loaded the CPU with games all days

You cannot truly "load" a CPU with games, you numb nut. Games do not fully load a processor.

There is only one way to stress-test an overclock, and that is with either Prime or Orthos small FFTs. You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

einstein_314
10-15-07, 10:14 PM

I don't need this, I've tested it numorous of times with different programs, loaded the CPU with games all days, checking temps in BIOS and PC Wizard, checking my external drivebay tempatures. Anyone has yet to tell me why the objective tests and factual numbers would be wrong. Would you accept it if somebody just told you "you are wrong" without giving you any reason or explanation whatsoever? Didn't think so...
Dude, I'm with the others, you can't stress your cpu with a game....you won't get anywhere near max temps. My Q6600 idles at 42Cish and goes to 53Cish under a full load on H2O.

Back on topic though, I would recommend building your own cooling setup from scratch. It isn't that much more work and you will be more satisfied with the results.

Gaco
10-16-07, 04:19 AM
Gaco, people who know tons about h20 disagree
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162341
OMG I rofled so much when I read through that thread!! :rofl'
Looks like I got owned on the good ol' fashion :D

Let every child everwhere read from the gospel of quadcore. Salvation has come! :angel3: Let the whole world know that Gaco has the coolest Quadcore CPU in the whole world!!!1!1 :angel:

No seriously it turns out I don't know crap squad about stressing my CPU apparently :p
I'm no :inform: , I just thought it was so. Oh well so much for being stubborn..

Well to my own comfort I doubt that I'll ever use the computer for anything more stressing than gaming for longer periods of time, so for me that kind of stressing is adequate. But I can try and stress the **** out of it later with atitool (and what is TAT?) and post some screens of the results.

But I can't see what could possibly be wrong with my Idle temps?

Xion X2
10-16-07, 05:53 AM
The purpose of stress-testing with Prime/Orthos is not just for temp-bragging rights. It's to ensure yourself of a completely stable computing environment without corrupting your operating system.

If you overclock your rig and want to test whether or not your overclock's stable by playing games, then the application may crash and can sometimes corrupt Windows when doing so. Prime/Orthos are simple math apps that don't involve the graphics driver and aren't nearly as embedded in your OS, so if they crash then it's not a big deal. More than likely they won't crash at all and will just fail to calculate an FFT--whereby you know that your overclock is unstable to a certain point. This sets off a warning so that you know you need to work to get your overclock stable before running more complex apps.