nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   TDK declares Blu-ray the HD winner (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100415)

AthlonXP1800 10-15-07 05:50 PM

TDK declares Blu-ray the HD winner
 
TDK: "There will be one clear global winner: Blu-ray disc!"

http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertain...-the-hd-winner

Where are HD-DVD recorders and writers? They both non-existed!

evilchris 10-15-07 06:37 PM

Re: TDK declares Blu-ray the HD winner
 
lol

superklye 10-15-07 10:19 PM

Re: TDK declares Blu-ray the HD winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilchris
lol

.

ViN86 10-16-07 01:03 AM

Re: TDK declares Blu-ray the HD winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
TDK: "There will be one clear global winner: Blu-ray disc!"

http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertain...-the-hd-winner

Where are HD-DVD recorders and writers? They both non-existed!

Brought to you by Super English 2.0.

Lyme 10-16-07 03:10 PM

Re: TDK declares Blu-ray the HD winner
 
Should BD not end up as the dominate player, watch TDK switch gears in a hurry.

SOAD 10-19-07 08:59 AM

Re: TDK declares Blu-ray the HD winner
 
TD.....who again?


:p

DaveW 10-19-07 10:08 PM

Re: TDK declares Blu-ray the HD winner
 
At this point I don't anyone but a few nerds care who wins, they just want the format war to be over so the players drop in price and they know which type to buy.

Q 10-20-07 04:43 PM

Re: TDK declares Blu-ray the HD winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveW
At this point I don't anyone but a few nerds care who wins, they just want the format war to be over so the players drop in price and they know which type to buy.

That's how I feel.

I've got a PS3, so technically I've at least partially "invested" in BluRay. But honestly, I don't give a damn. I just want a $100-$200 player and $15-$20 movies. Right now, $30 HD movies are just highway robbery. If they don't push the price down overall, neither format is going to really succeed.

I think its going to take a long time for either format to get decent penetration. This isn't going to be like the transition from VHS to DVD. There were tangible benefits with IQ and convenience. With this transition, the only difference is IQ (AND OMFG SPECIAL FEATURES!). The vast majority of people can barely tell the difference (or enough of the difference) to even care about HD right now. Eventually DVD's are going to reach EOL, but its going to be because of an industry wide transition taking many, many years... not because of popular demand. For most people, cheap DVDs are "good enough".

Stolly 10-21-07 03:54 AM

Re: TDK declares Blu-ray the HD winner
 
At this rate people will be streaming HD content over 20mbit+ home connections, making this format war irrelavant.

Lyme 10-21-07 11:35 AM

Re: TDK declares Blu-ray the HD winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stolly
At this rate people will be streaming HD content over 20mbit+ home connections, making this format war irrelavant.

I already do that. It really isn't that hard to do with generic, off the shelf equipment.

evilchris 10-21-07 01:08 PM

Re: TDK declares Blu-ray the HD winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyme
I already do that. It really isn't that hard to do with generic, off the shelf equipment.

To stream a movie of the quality the meda has you will need to sustain 30Mbps which I doubt you can do. HD on Demand services are "HD-lite" and run around 15Mbps.

Lyme 10-21-07 07:50 PM

Re: TDK declares Blu-ray the HD winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilchris
To stream a movie of the quality the meda has you will need to sustain 30Mbps which I doubt you can do. HD on Demand services are "HD-lite" and run around 15Mbps.

I never said I was using Video On Demand to stream the video. My Shaw VOD service has very few (possibly none) HD titles.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.