nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Networking And Security (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   At my wits' end... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100650)

911medic 10-19-07 01:17 PM

At my wits' end...

I recently upgraded my router (see this thread) from an OLD Belkin 802.11b/WEP-only unit to a shiny new Linksys WRT54GL. I was able to get my laptop connected w/WPA2 enabled and everything's peachy there. Just today, I finally replaced my kid's old USB 802.11b adapter with a "g" model (the old one didn't support WPA), and it's up & running just fine.

My problem is that I cannot get my wife's work laptop (a new Dell) to properly connect wirelessly. This has been the case from day 1 of the new router. She's been connecting via hard line since then.

Using Windows' Wireless Zero Config, I'm able to get it to take the WPA2 key (it wouldn't using the Dell wireless utility), and it connects to the router, but then comes up with a message that the connection has "little or no connectivity."

I've made sure the MAC address isn't being filtered, and I can look in the router control panel and see the MAC address of the laptop, so I know they're "seeing" each other.

But for the life of me I can't get it to functionally connect.

Any ideas?

lduguay 10-19-07 01:54 PM

Re: At my wits' end...

DHCP server is enabled right? Have you tried a static address on her laptop.

ViN86 10-19-07 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lduguay

that's what i was going to say, try a static IP.

zoomy942 10-19-07 02:37 PM

since its a dell, your best bet is to download the Dell Wireless software and try that to confirm that everything works right. on HP tablets, i have a ton more luck using the intel wireless application than the windows zero config stuff.

trust me, try it.

911medic 10-19-07 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomy942
since its a dell, your best bet is to download the Dell Wireless software and try that to confirm that everything works right. on HP tablets, i have a ton more luck using the intel wireless application than the windows zero config stuff.

trust me, try it.

I have. I can't even get it to get this far using the Dell software. It won't accept the WPA2 key. It says it wants a key that is "between 8 and 63 characters long," and the key everything else uses is 64 characters long (generated by a key generator). I even tried shortening the key by 1 character (in both the router and the Dell software), and it still didn't work. Switched to Windows Zero software, plugged in the key, and it connects to the router, but has "limited or no connectivity."

zoomy942 10-19-07 02:46 PM

have you tried a differnt encryption method just to see the dell connect>?

911medic 10-19-07 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lduguay

If you mean on her laptop, under the TCP/IP settings, then yes. Under "Advanced TCP/IP Settings" it has DHCP enabled.

If you mean in the router's settings, it is set to "Automatic Configuration--DHCP" and "DHCP Server" is set to "enable."

I have not tried a static IP on her laptop. Honestly, I'm not sure how to do this.

zoomy942 10-19-07 02:51 PM

i dont agree with making a static ip. if the other dives grab a dhcp address fine, so thats not the problem. through the troubleshooting, it seemjs like a software issue nwith your dell. i am sure you altready got newer drivers, so i would for testing, try a different encryption method. wpa or wep; just to see it connect.

911medic 10-19-07 02:53 PM

Quote:

i dont agree with making a static ip. if the other dives grab a dhcp address fine, so thats not the problem. through the troubleshooting, it seemjs like a software issue nwith your dell. i am sure you altready got newer drivers, so i would for testing, try a different encryption method. wpa or wep; just to see it connect.

I will give another encryption method a try.

I am very limited with what I can update on her laptop. Her IT department is very strict about changes, and if she has some other problem down the road and they see that she has different drivers loaded, they will chastise her like a kindergartner in the principal's office.

911medic 10-19-07 02:54 PM

I'm taking some screenshots of my router settings and her laptop settings. I'll post them here and see if anyone sees somthing obvious that I'm missing.

zoomy942 10-19-07 02:56 PM

ill keep an eye on this thread for a while so post away.

i bet you lunch a different encryption method will work.

911medic 10-19-07 02:57 PM

Quote:

ill keep an eye on this thread for a while so post away.

i bet you lunch a different encryption method will work.

You may be right, but that would sort of defeat the whole purpose of me getting this new router, so I hope not.