nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   GeForce4 420 Go 32M (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10097)

silversun 04-13-03 08:28 AM

GeForce4 420 Go 32M

Hi,

I have a samsung X10 Laptop. It comes with a Geforce4 420 GO 32M and centrino chipset. I am running RedHat 9.0. When I try to use the lates Linux drives (1.0-4349) I just get a full screen with flickering lines. Text console also, just flickering lines (grey and black, so I guess it's the chopped screen).
Any Idea? The OpenSource XFree drivers seem to work (they destroy the text console like the NVIDIA drivers, but work for X)

I tried w/o AGP, nothing. What else can I try? Is GeForce4 420 Go / Centrino known to work/notwork?

Cheers, Peter

andysan 04-13-03 08:55 PM

Samsung X10 problem

Hi Peter,

I also have the Samsung X10 (the 1.6GHz version which has the NVidia 440GO 64Mb) and have had exactly the same problems with NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349 on RedHat 9. I get an X display with the XFree nv driver, but random horizontal lines when I exit from X. With the NVidia driver I get random horizontal lines when X is running too. It seems to me that the computer is responding properly and that probably the server is running OK but somehow that the panel hasn't been detected properly and there is a sync type of problem. I would be very keen to hear for anyone's ideas on fixing this as NVidia OpenGL under Linux was one of my main criteria for buying this otherwise very nice laptop!

Andy.

silversun 04-14-03 04:56 AM

samsung X10

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately I noticed, that the opensource drivers don't work propperly aswell. WHen displaying video in fullscreen mode (with xine/mplayer/etc) every other horizontal line is displaced, which makes the picture look like very badly de-interlaced.

it would be great to here from any progress.

Cheer, Peter

BTW, did you get the battery to work? (Or just anything ACPI related?)

andysan 04-14-03 07:37 AM

What do you mean about the battery and ACPI?

Andy.

silversun 04-14-03 08:24 AM

I mean that I don't get information about the remaining battery lifetime. My old laptop shows a nice icon with the state of filling of the battery and will suspend to disk when I close the cover. All this doesn't work with the X10.

Cheers Peter

andysan 04-14-03 08:54 AM

No it doesn't, but I'm using a standard kernel at the moment which doesn't have apm support compiled in I think. I will try building a new kernel soon and see if that works.

Also think I might try RedHat 8 and the older NVidia drivers.

Andy.

silversun 04-14-03 09:10 AM

I see. I also noticed, that I can't switch on DMA transfer for neither hda nor hdc. without DMA disk access is really poor. It cannot be a big problem since it works with KNOPPIX 3.2 which also uses a 2.4.20 kernel. I guess the RedHat 2.4.20 kernel is missing the necessary DMA support. The question is, which kernel configuration parameter is the one?

Cheers, Peter

andysan 04-14-03 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't help you much with that DMA stuff I'm afraid.

In case any NVidia helpers are reading this, I'm posting my XF86Config and XFree86.0.log files as suggested. I've tried both the standard setting and with the options in /etc/modules.conf suggested in the "configuring a laptop" section of the README.
Thanks!

Andy.

Andy Mecham 04-14-03 03:47 PM

I'll track one of these down and check it out. Thanks!

--andy

andysan 04-15-03 07:02 AM

Thanks a lot --- would very much appreciate any help!

Andy.

andysan 04-25-03 09:48 AM

Hi Andy,

Have you had any luck yet in looking at the problem with the Samsung X10? Is there any more I can help with debugging info?

Thanks a lot,
Andy.

andysan 04-29-03 08:38 AM

Some slight progress on the Samsung X10 with Geforce 440GO. The NVidia driver works when I connect to an external monitor, though still not on the built-in panel. I'm very keen to get it working properly to use in my work on real-time computer vision.

I'm now using the 4363 version of the driver. It seems like the panel on this laptop does not agree with Linux very well at all and the problem is there rather than with the graphics card.

Connecting the laptop to an external monitor before boot, booting into Linux and then starting X with the NVidia driver the display comes up fine on the external monitor, very fast 3D and all. At the same time, on the internal panel I see something which obviously resembles the display in terms of overall colours but looks like the sync is way off leading to horizontal patterns. Interestingly (?), with the XFree driver although the flat internal panel works OK it doesn't seem to drive an external monitor properly. With either driver still, when I quit X the console display does not come up properly on the internal panel.

I have tried some of the different driver settings suggested in the NVidia README (EDID stuff, FlatPanelProperties) but with no apparent difference.

Would be very grateful for any more help.
Andy.