nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Question on o'cing the 7900GTX (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101229)

grey_1 10-29-07 02:15 PM

Question on o'cing the 7900GTX

The EVGA 7900GTX I acquired is an RMA return, with only a few hours on it. Normally I wouldn't be concerned with this, but I seem to remember these cards were dying after being overclocked..is this accurate or am I thinking of another card?

TIA replies guys.

Rummy 10-29-07 08:02 PM

Re: Question on o'cing the 7900GTX

When I had my 7900gt sc ko whatever it was called. It had the overheating issue. I remember EVGA sending out 7900gtx for replacements. I think it was the 256 7900's not the GTX's. Somebody correct me if I am wrong

grey_1 10-30-07 04:14 AM

Thanks for the reply. This thing runs nice and cool, so heat shouldn't be an issue. Well, If I don't try I won't know. :)

Eliminator 10-30-07 10:47 AM

actually some of them are already broken without overclocking anything.... the RAM modules are very dodgy... ive had 3x 7900GTX all of which were broken

grey_1 10-30-07 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliminator
actually some of them are already broken without overclocking anything.... the RAM modules are very dodgy... ive had 3x 7900GTX all of which were broken

That sounds like what I remembered reading about. I'm only running it +25mhz on the core and +20 on the ram atm. Me thinks back to stock speeds is good.

Thank you!

newls1 10-31-07 09:54 PM

I went through 3 7900GTO (rejected GTX's) due to bad memory. In all seriousness, Each 1 of mt GTO's only took about 1-2 weeks to die a horrible death. These cards where never OC'ed at all either. EVGA finally sent me my 4th GTO card that had the newer memory which was the same mem the "FIXED" GTX's were using which were infinion based ram. That GTO ran awesome and OC'ed to the sky.

stevemedes 11-04-07 04:29 PM

I had a GTX based on the older memory that simply bit the bullet one day. The one I got back from RMA is the 'reloaded' version with the new chips. Also has HDCP support too, which the older one didn't have.

:)

grey_1 11-04-07 05:32 PM

Thanks. I'm guessing this is a 'reloaded' card back from RMA. Stable as a rock so far at stock speeds. I just don't want to oc it unless I can verify the new ram.

Eliminator 11-04-07 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newls1
I went through 3 7900GTO (rejected GTX's) due to bad memory. In all seriousness, Each 1 of mt GTO's only took about 1-2 weeks to die a horrible death. These cards where never OC'ed at all either. EVGA finally sent me my 4th GTO card that had the newer memory which was the same mem the "FIXED" GTX's were using which were infinion based ram. That GTO ran awesome and OC'ed to the sky.

out of the 3 GTX cards i had... 1 of them had the old memory which not only overclocked higher but lasted like 3 months before it started artifacting.... the other 2 had the newer 'fixed' memory which died in a few days (this was at stock speeds too) :thumbdwn:

newls1 11-04-07 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
Thanks. I'm guessing this is a 'reloaded' card back from RMA. Stable as a rock so far at stock speeds. I just don't want to oc it unless I can verify the new ram.

Well.....To verify if your card has the "newer" ram, pull off the heatsink, and see if the ram says "Samsung" or "Infinion" If you have Samsung ram, you can just guarantee yourself an RMA:D If it reads Infinion, your all set and ready to OC that sucker

grey_1 11-04-07 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newls1
Well.....To verify if your card has the "newer" ram, pull off the heatsink, and see if the ram says "Samsung" or "Infinion" If you have Samsung ram, you can just guarantee yourself an RMA:D If it reads Infinion, your all set and ready to OC that sucker

Thanks newls1. :D