nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Software Development (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   is this fine for buying a website? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101367)

SOAD 10-31-07 09:03 AM

is this fine for buying a website?

Is this website safe to use for buying a website? If not, do you know any good ones that will accept paypal :)

cheers

www.godaddy.com

jcrox 10-31-07 09:16 AM

Re: is this fine for buying a website?

I wouldn't use it. I've heard from a couple of people :thumbdwn:

I'll be using DreamHost I think.

Stoneyguy 10-31-07 09:38 AM

I use 1and1 and they now accept paypal. I have had no trouble from them, though my website isn't to demanding. By the way, what made you decide to post this here?

SOAD 10-31-07 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoneyguy
I use 1and1 and they now accept paypal. I have had no trouble from them, though my website isn't to demanding. By the way, what made you decide to post this here?

Cheers. Im not sure how demanding the website is. I still dont get it. Cant I just buy a website name? Why cant I permanantly buy one? eg what about ebay. surely if they paid one of those dudes then the dudes could charge a fortune at renewal time.

some regarded to in my country as a "****up"

Stoneyguy 10-31-07 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOAD
Cheers. Im not sure how demanding the website is. I still dont get it. Cant I just buy a website name? Why cant I permanantly buy one? eg what about ebay. surely if they paid one of those dudes then the dudes could charge a fortune at renewal time.

some regarded to in my country as a "****up"

You can't buy a domain name permanently.

The domain name can be transfered to another host if you are the owner of the domain name. Some webhost buy the domain in their name for you and then your kind of stuck. Ebay I'm sure owns the lease on the domain name.

SOAD 10-31-07 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoneyguy
You can't buy a domain name permanently.

The domain name can be transfered to another host if you are the owner of the domain name. Some webhost buy the domain in their name for you and then your kind of stuck. Ebay I'm sure owns the lease on the domain name.

does the link you referred me to put the domain in my name?

Ive found a few really really go names taht I want to keep and hope ot develop massively in the future :)

evilghost 10-31-07 10:27 AM

I get mine from http://www.simpleurl.com, they provide free DNS hosting through ENOM. Price is $12/yr for the major TLDs. I own about 5 domains through them.

I run my own server, hosted off business static IP over DSL.

DiscipleDOC 10-31-07 10:36 AM

Umm...why is this in the P&R Forum?

evilghost 10-31-07 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
Umm...why is this in the P&R Forum?

Because DX10 is a lie, Vista is crapware, Crysis sucks, and NV is trying to make our video cards explode.

Monolyth 10-31-07 11:16 AM

I've used GoDaddy for all my domains, never had problems with them.

Stoneyguy 10-31-07 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOAD
does the link you referred me to put the domain in my name?

Ive found a few really really go names taht I want to keep and hope ot develop massively in the future :)

Yes it is registered in your name. I'm not sure about the legal mumbo jumbo on how much rights 1and1 has as I never delved deeply into the matter. All I have is a hobby website that's only alive for the forums and a domain name I use for email purposes only.

Absolution 10-31-07 03:34 PM

dreamhost is 9.95$ a year and provides anonymous hosting, not sure if yuo can just buy domain names though

godaddy is fine though