nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Crysis (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Crysis Framerate Benches with 2gb vs 4gb ram? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101693)

Riplayne 11-04-07 10:43 AM

Crysis Framerate Benches with 2gb vs 4gb ram?

Anyone know of any?

SH64 11-04-07 05:13 PM

Re: Crysis Framerate Benches with 2gb vs 4gb ram?

I would like to see some aswell.
this had to be done on just Vista 64 thuogh since there's a performance difference between x86 & x64 as it is.

jAkUp 11-04-07 05:48 PM

I don't think you will see an actual FPS difference, the game will just play much smoother and hitch less, I noticed this when I went from 2GB to 4GB.

SH64 11-04-07 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAkUp
I don't think you will see an actual FPS difference, the game will just play much smoother and hitch less, I noticed this when I went from 2GB to 4GB.

Less hitiching will generally translate to a little better framerates in either of the CPU/GPU benchmarks. i wanna see that & make sure there is a difference.

Viral 11-04-07 08:09 PM

Traditionally it never seems to translate into an FPS difference until you hit other limitations. But it's worth a try.

crainger 11-04-07 08:20 PM

I just came from 2gb and I didn't notice an increase in performance, but load times in all my currently installed game halved roughly. I also noticed exiting games is lightning quick now, before the Vista would come to a halt exiting The Witcher for 30secs, now it's out done and dusted in a split second. :D

SH64 11-04-07 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crainger
I just came from 2gb and I didn't notice an increase in performance, but load times in all my currently installed game halved roughly. I also noticed exiting games is lightning quick now, before the Vista would come to a halt exiting The Witcher for 30secs, now it's out done and dusted in a split second. :D

Do you get less stuttering when playing Crysis say at high or v.high ? esp with grenade explosions or when entering different areas ..

crainger 11-04-07 08:46 PM

Yeah, definitely less stutter, especially removed the stutter before I detonate a High Explosive.

SH64 11-04-07 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crainger
Yeah, definitely less stutter, especially removed the stutter before I detonate a High Explosive.

Amazing! yeah i get that stutter before deteonating HG's more than often.
i might seriously consider upgrading my RAM even if XP/Vista 32-bit will not read them all.

crainger 11-04-07 08:59 PM

It's worth it. Vista on a whole feels a lot more responsive with 4.

AthlonXP1800 11-05-07 02:27 AM

Hmmm I never experienced shuttering with 3GB in Crysis at very high settings when here was explosions and in heavy firefights.

CaptNKILL 11-05-07 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viral
Traditionally it never seems to translate into an FPS difference until you hit other limitations. But it's worth a try.

Yeah.

Think of it in terms of average FPS.

If the benchmark records 30-40fps 10 times per second for a few minutes then averages the results together, a few drops to 1-5 fps (a hitch\stutter) will hardly make any difference in the final average but will be very obvious in gameplay.

About the only way to show the results of a memory upgrade would probably be a line graph like [H] uses, to show the framerate throughout the entire benchmark. Ideally, more memory would result in fewer low spikes on a graph.

Fraps can record data like that. It probably wouldn't be too hard to do.