nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Crysis (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Sound stutter in Crysis only (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101924)

Greg 11-08-07 07:50 AM

Sound stutter in Crysis only

After upgrading the trusty 7800 to 8800GT and installing the new drivers required to run it, sound in Crysis has a sever stutter. It does this at any time, from logo movies to the main menu and of course in game. (I mention the graphics card & driver update because I played the demo through with the old card and did not notice any sound issue.)

There is no HDD access, Task Manager shows no other programs using CPU time. No other game exhibits this problem (tried a bunch of old games and new demos like UnrealTournament3.) The Crysis frame rate is good (20-40fps depending on quality setting), but is now essentially unplayable due to the sound issue. I've tried an older driver, but can't go too old since the GT card was not supported. I've checked the sound settings in Control Panel for any anomaly, but nothing looks suspicious.

A google search shows a bunch of people appear to have this same problem, but not a single real solution has been presented. Any ideas folks?

System:
Vista 32bit
Athlon 3500+
2gm
Geforce 8800gt
Realtek ALC850 sound (on board)

loupide 11-17-07 03:29 AM

Re: Sound stutter in Crysis only

Hmm I have the same problem. It started with some of the newer forceware drivers.
Very annoying :( No problems in XP though.

SH64 11-17-07 08:37 AM

Yeah i have the same problem mostly when i set sound quality to very high.

nopp0x00 11-17-07 09:45 AM

That **** happens to me with RealTek onboard audio in Vista. It doesn't happen to me in XP - XP performs much better at identical settings too.

loupide 11-17-07 10:16 AM

After I went back to the most recent official Forceware WHQL release the sound problems are gone.

Now the only problem whats left is that Vista gives me 12 fps while XP gives me 40 fps on same settings and the same spot. I don't feel like booting XP everytime I want to play but I guess there's no other way.

Logical 11-18-07 08:48 AM

Yep i get the same sound stuttering...very annoying.

It also causes the game to lag when it happens.....*yawn* patch please.

heath 11-18-07 02:40 PM

http://www.fmod.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34319#34319

its because the sound system Crysis use is shocking and backwards comparability and scaling with hardware..

IT EVEN ****s up to a degree on some of the newest onboard sounds etc.

voice your anger with Fmod and Crytek so they fix this stuff.. BIOSHOCK has the same issue and NUTHING happended.. beacuse CREATIVE just wanted people to get brand new cards that even then would possibly still have issues.

dam hardware goons.. more games need to be like COD4..

Eliminator 11-18-07 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heath
http://www.fmod.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34319#34319

its because the sound system Crysis use is shocking and backwards comparability and scaling with hardware..

IT EVEN ****s up to a degree on some of the newest onboard sounds etc.

voice your anger with Fmod and Crytek so they fix this stuff.. BIOSHOCK has the same issue and NUTHING happended.. beacuse CREATIVE just wanted people to get brand new cards that even then would possibly still have issues.

dam hardware goons.. more games need to be like COD4..

you could pick up an audigy 2 very cheap nowadays and have no sound problems in crysis... i do get some stuttering sometimes but not sound related

heath 11-18-07 04:37 PM

Any games sound system that can not run on a widly used onboard sound card is a joke.. how hard is it to have a fall back mode..

devs are getting so lazzy now..

i play with stereo headphones sound is sound.. as long as its clear

Feyy 11-18-07 04:58 PM

Sound fades out for me alot and gets all cracked up and flaky.

EXTREMELY ANNOYING

Gaco 11-18-07 05:29 PM

No sound problems whatsoever on my specs. You should all buy an Audigy or X-FI, it's totally worth it :p

Snaptrap 10-21-08 01:18 AM

The reason why you're getting stuttering with certain audio hardware is because Microsft didn't implement DirectX audio hardware management within Vista so instead they decided to do it by software only which puts much more work onto your system. In XP this stuttering doesn't exist because audio hardware management exists. Software audio acceleration is much slower than hardware which is why you end up with the weak sound performance. This can be fixed however through a patch which the developer can create. Crytek is pretty lazy so I don't expect much from them.

Some upgrades or refined tweaking can reduce the problem until Crytek gets off their rears.