nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Crysis (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   How does Crysis run for you? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102714)

Koko56 11-19-07 01:36 PM

How does Crysis run for you?

For me it seemed to be very smooth during my first few times through the demo and the game ran a bit worse (with some frame skipping) but it was not too bad. Now however Crysis runs pretty terribly... Whenever I seem to turn around it's almost as if it tries to load it on the go resulting in an FPS drop to about 0-5 for a split of a seconds, even though FRAPS may display 30, whenever I look around it stutters and just seems to pause for splits of a second... tried re-installing the game and the GPU drivers, tried defragmenting too... nothing really worked.

As for the MP - the motion blur is completely gone and it stutters too... btw when I played the MP for the first time ever it was amazingly smooth with motion blur and always above 60FPS...

I have not changed anything since it ran well...:confused: :banghead:

lduguay 11-19-07 01:50 PM

Re: How does Crysis run for you?

OK but
System specs?
XP? Vista? Settings? Driver version?

Gnaddel 11-19-07 01:51 PM

Runs OK for me, however I only play on 1280x1024 or 1360x780 depending on the screen I use.
I wouldn't say there is a massive performance difference between the demo and the final but there is a large difference between the SP levels.
Haven't played final mp yet.

Koko56 11-19-07 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lduguay
OK but
System specs?
XP? Vista? Settings? Driver version?

Ooops, sorry.

E6600
2GB RAM
8800GTX
169.09 (beta?) from Guru3D

1280x1024 with everything on high in XP

lduguay 11-19-07 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koko56
Ooops, sorry.

E6600
2GB RAM
8800GTX
169.09 (beta?) from Guru3D

1280x1024 with everything on high in XP

Your rig is fine, have you tried to drop the shadows to medium?

Gaco 11-19-07 03:19 PM

Quote:

For me it seemed to be very smooth during my first few times through the demo and the game ran a bit worse (with some frame skipping) but it was not too bad. Now however Crysis runs pretty terribly... Whenever I seem to turn around it's almost as if it tries to load it on the go resulting in an FPS drop to about 0-5 for a split of a seconds, even though FRAPS may display 30, whenever I look around it stutters and just seems to pause for splits of a second... tried re-installing the game and the GPU drivers, tried defragmenting too... nothing really worked.

As for the MP - the motion blur is completely gone and it stutters too... btw when I played the MP for the first time ever it was amazingly smooth with motion blur and always above 60FPS...

I have not changed anything since it ran well...:confused: :banghead:

If you experience choppiness when turning around and such though the FPS counter is good, it sound like you need some more RAM. I have this to a slight extend myself, sometimes choppiness when turning quickly around, entering a new area, during the initiation of explosions, and typically a few times during a cutscene. I have 2gb, using vista64 and ordering another 2gb as soon as I can afford it :)

J-Mag 11-19-07 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaco
If you experience choppiness when turning around and such though the FPS counter is good, it sound like you need some more RAM. I have this to a slight extend myself, sometimes choppiness when turning quickly around, entering a new area, during the initiation of explosions, and typically a few times during a cutscene. I have 2gb, using vista64 and ordering another 2gb as soon as I can afford it :)

Have you seen any non-anecdotal evidence that proves Crysis uses more than 2GB of memory in Vista?

Koko56 11-19-07 03:47 PM

Quote:

Your rig is fine, have you tried to drop the shadows to medium?

Yeah - it's still there... I just played the game with everything on medium appart from objects and post processing set to high.

The choppiness was not as bad, but nonetheless it was still there.

IMO I think it's either something wrong with my PC or a patch is needed to sort it out.

It's rather strange. As I said before the first few times through the demo it was really smooth, appart from really heavy battles (obviously), but then it started to get choppy without a reason.

I did OC my GPU whilst playing the demo and the main game, however OCing it again does not fix the problem.

As for RAM I've seen some guy with 4GB saying that it stutters sometimes too.

lduguay 11-19-07 03:53 PM

Quote:

Yeah - it's still there... I just played the game with everything on medium appart from objects and post processing set to high.

The choppiness was not as bad, but nonetheless it was still there.

IMO I think it's either something wrong with my PC or a patch is needed to sort it out.

It's rather strange. As I said before the first few times through the demo it was really smooth, appart from really heavy battles (obviously), but then it started to get choppy without a reason.

I did OC my GPU whilst playing the demo and the main game, however OCing it again does not fix the problem.

As for RAM I've seen some guy with 4GB saying that it stutters sometimes too.

I use 2560x1600, and it behaves pretty much like you described. What resolution do you use?

Koko56 11-19-07 04:07 PM

Quote:

I use 2560x1600, and it behaves pretty much like you described. What resolution do you use?

^^^
1280x1024 :D

It behaves smooth or choppy?

Gaco 11-19-07 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mag
Have you seen any non-anecdotal evidence that proves Crysis uses more than 2GB of memory in Vista?

Well I've seen that while playing the game, all of the 2gb is in use, so I could definently see that the game could use more, if not 4gb then 2.5 or 3, but I'm just buying 2gb more to futureproof. And the other thing is, the game is showing all the symptoms I had last time I ran out of memory on my rig and upgraded from 512mb to 1gb some years ago, and I know that it can't be my harddisk because it's a couple of defragmented 10rpm raptors in Raid0 array ;)

J-Mag 11-19-07 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaco
Well I've seen that while playing the game, all of the 2gb is in use, so I could definently see that the game could use more, if not 4gb then 2.5 or 3, but I'm just buying 2gb more to futureproof. And the other thing is, the game is showing all the symptoms I had last time I ran out of memory on my rig and upgraded from 512mb to 1gb some years ago, and I know that it can't be my harddisk because it's a couple of defragmented 10rpm raptors in Raid0 array ;)

Vista could be the culprit because in XP it looks like over 2gb is unnecessary. However, I have seen a number or errors in the console that have the word "leak" in them, so maybe the Crysis memory leaks are more pronounced in vista...