nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Crysis (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   What is the best CFG setting to use with a 8800 GT? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102906)

wysiwyg 11-22-07 06:41 AM

What is the best CFG setting to use with a 8800 GT?

I am still waiting for my GT to turn up (3 weeks and counting)

I have crysis waiting on my system.

what is the best config to use?

and should I use Vista or XP?

or what are the best configurations to use in Vista and XP

thank you :D

avirox 11-22-07 09:48 AM

Re: What is the best CFG setting to use with a 8800 GT?

1680x1050 w/ all @ high worked alright for me. There are some tweaked dx9 configs to enable some of the dx10 stuff too. I'd suggest playing with shaders @ med for the best performance, but I'm sure no1 will because they just look too damn nice :p

methimpikehoses 11-22-07 11:30 AM

I've used a variety of cfg files with similar results...

1680x1050 high for me too, with shaders at medium was playable in DX9 and DX10. 25-35FPS, except in 2 particular areas, it was 15-20.

My GT is at 700/1000.

wysiwyg 11-22-07 05:23 PM

cant it all be ran at high

avirox 11-22-07 06:40 PM

sure but expect slowdowns.

Greg 11-24-07 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avirox
sure but expect slowdowns.

Any idea what causes those slowdowns, or what settings help reduce it, without too much compromise?

I've found a couple of sections so far which turn into a slide show for no apparent reason. Move or look away, and all is good again. Oh yea, and don't cut down a whole forest with a mounted gun, that is sure to slow things to a halt ;)

methimpikehoses 11-24-07 11:30 AM

Turn down the resolution enough and you can run DX10 very high, but I usually compromise some texture and shader settings to play at higher res.

1680x1050 in DX9 with almost all high is fine... I put shaders on medium to get 30+fps most of the time.

Dreamingawake 11-25-07 12:22 PM

I'm playing Crysis in Xp for now.. with a resolution of 1280x1024, everything
maxed with the tweaks for the extra dx10 content and it's smooth sailing.
in fact i doubt the fps ever dips below 20 and probably averages 30+ although
i haven't frapped it, it's smooth as hell.

I'm also playing on a projector lol, so the resolution doesn't really bother me.

JasonPC 11-25-07 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg
Any idea what causes those slowdowns, or what settings help reduce it, without too much compromise?

I've found a couple of sections so far which turn into a slide show for no apparent reason. Move or look away, and all is good again. Oh yea, and don't cut down a whole forest with a mounted gun, that is sure to slow things to a halt ;)

Motion blur I notice tends to drag down the framerate a bit. Some people say it smooths it out, which may be true, but in benchmarks numerically I find the framerate is lower with it on. Also some of the later levels tend to run not as good as the earlier levels. For instance, the snow level tends to run slower (maybe from all the particles?). The VTOL level for me tended to run a little slow too and made it a bit hard to control the vehicle. Dropping shaders to medium helped that out though. And then finally the carrier level is the worst when you're out on deck fighting the first alien boss.

wysiwyg 11-25-07 05:52 PM

ok

the BFG OC2 "should" be with me this week

what OS do you recomend i play Crysis on? XP or Vista

and could somone post a good config setting for both please.

many thanks :)

JasonPC 11-25-07 05:58 PM

I'd recommend XP. IT seems like everyone says that it's only like on average 2 fps slower, but you need every bit of power you can get for this game. Try it on Vista and compare it to XP and see how it goes for you.

Greg 11-27-07 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonPC
Motion blur I notice tends to drag down the framerate a bit. Some people say it smooths it out, which may be true, but in benchmarks numerically I find the framerate is lower with it on....

Nice call. I turned Postprocessing Quality down from High to Medium and Avg FPS went from 35 to 43. Feels smoother to me and I didn't like the motion blur effect anyway.

I'd love to see a table of benchmarks with each setting individually changed from High to Med.

I've found that sometimes after playing for 1hr, the game starts to chug badly (real jerky movement). If I exit and restart the game, all is fine.