nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Anyone have linux driver for Gforce4 460 go please?I cant find it! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103432)

yd105 11-30-07 03:52 PM

Anyone have linux driver for Gforce4 460 go please?I cant find it!

I just installed Ubuntu linux on my old Toshiba laptop and I then realize that I have to install the linux graphic card which is GeForce4 460 go,I couldnt find it anywhere,guys please help me out!

Thunderbird 11-30-07 04:27 PM

Re: Anyone have linux driver for Gforce4 460 go please?I cant find it!

You need to use the legacy 96.43.01 drivers which are available from nvidia.com.

yd105 12-01-07 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbird
You need to use the legacy 96.43.01 drivers which are available from nvidia.com.

Thanks alot ,I downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run from Nvidia website.
When i type: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run
it says :error :nvidia-installer must be run as root
How could I run it as root?sorry I am a linux beginner I am learing it now...

epsilon72 12-01-07 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yd105
Thanks alot ,I downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run from Nvidia website.
When i type: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.01-pkg1.run
it says :error :nvidia-installer must be run as root
How could I run it as root?sorry I am a linux beginner I am learing it now...

Are you using Ubuntu?
If so, they should have the legacy drivers somewhere in their repositories. In fact, no matter what distro you are using you should have those available to you somewhere.

I'd recommend going that route (of downloading through whatever package manager you have), but if you really want to use the package you downloaded manually you could try 'sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-blah blah blah' instead. (if you are using Ubuntu, sudo should be more or less set up automatically for you) (replace the 'blah blah blah' with the full file name, obviously ;) )

If you are new to linux, other good websites to educate yourself are Ubuntu's forums, linuxquestions.org, and various wikis for other distros (even though you use a different distro, they can still offer some good advice), such as gentoo-wiki.com.

yd105 12-05-07 12:53 PM

Thanks for your help.I tried the command with sudo sh.and it says "you appear to be running an X server;please exit X before installing."
By the way,how could I play mp3 on Ubuntu since any mp3 file cant be play by Rhythmbox music player and others as well.
Thanks a lot dude~You are very kind:headexplode:

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon72
Are you using Ubuntu?
If so, they should have the legacy drivers somewhere in their repositories. In fact, no matter what distro you are using you should have those available to you somewhere.

I'd recommend going that route (of downloading through whatever package manager you have), but if you really want to use the package you downloaded manually you could try 'sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-blah blah blah' instead. (if you are using Ubuntu, sudo should be more or less set up automatically for you) (replace the 'blah blah blah' with the full file name, obviously ;) )

If you are new to linux, other good websites to educate yourself are Ubuntu's forums, linuxquestions.org, and various wikis for other distros (even though you use a different distro, they can still offer some good advice), such as gentoo-wiki.com.

yd105 12-06-07 11:51 AM

please help~~~:headexplode:

tier 12-06-07 12:15 PM

Look here for instance

yd105 12-06-07 02:48 PM

THanks,finally the system started downloading the driver automaticly but after I reboot the machine as the system required,the screen is all blur and white that I cant see anything in the login window but hearing the background sound and i could still try to type the user name&password and get into the system but still nothing but the whole screen is white stuff .....
I think I choosed the wrong the driver from the Graphic setting in the beginning....and is there any I can get recoverd?................wuwuwuwuwuwu:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by tier
Look here for instance

yd105 12-07-07 12:35 PM

I asked some ppl they ask me to reboot my laptop and go to the recover mode(kennel command line) and do the following things:
1.open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change "nv" to "nvidia"
2.type following command:
sudo modprobe -r nvidia
sudo lrm-manager
sudo modprobe nvidia
then reboot the computer

I tried but the problem still there~~!!!!
:( :( :( :( :( :(