nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   nVidia scaling not working with DVI/HDMI (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104039)

AdamK47 12-10-07 07:08 PM

nVidia scaling not working with DVI/HDMI

I recently bought a Samsung 32" 720p TV with a native resolution of 1366x768 (1360x768 in Windows). I'm using HDMI with a DVI to HDMI adapter. I can see the options for flat panel scaling in the nVidia control panel. I don't want the panel to scale to widescreen with 1024x768 games. I want it centered, so I select "Do not scale" and hit apply. After I click on Yes it goes back to "Use displays built in scaling". Any option I select it goes back to "Use displays built in scaling". What's wrong here?

Specs here.

ewb 12-10-07 11:58 PM

Re: nVidia scaling not working with DVI/HDMI

i have a samsung tv. just hit the p.size button on the remote to switch from 16:9 to 4:3. it stretches EVERY resolution to wide screen unless you specifically choose 4:3 with the p.size button.

AdamK47 12-11-07 08:52 AM

Yeah, I've used that feature. It works well. I was just hoping there was a way I could do it automatically through the drivers rather than having to press a button every time. It would also be good for resolutions other than 1024x768.

Lyme 12-11-07 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamK47
Yeah, I've used that feature. It works well. I was just hoping there was a way I could do it automatically through the drivers rather than having to press a button every time. It would also be good for resolutions other than 1024x768.

Nope.

Unlike computer monitors, most televisions do not have a protocol for the media device to tell the display not to scale. As such, the nVidia drivers are correct in saying that it will use the displays scaling, because it has no control over it.

Rakeesh 12-11-07 12:41 PM

Quote:

I recently bought a Samsung 32" 720p TV with a native resolution of 1366x768 (1360x768 in Windows). I'm using HDMI with a DVI to HDMI adapter. I can see the options for flat panel scaling in the nVidia control panel. I don't want the panel to scale to widescreen with 1024x768 games. I want it centered, so I select "Do not scale" and hit apply. After I click on Yes it goes back to "Use displays built in scaling". Any option I select it goes back to "Use displays built in scaling". What's wrong here?

Specs here.

Yeah this is annoying. I have gotten this to work sometimes by doing a lot of screwing around, but everytime I upgrade the driver I have to do it all over again and it is extremely frustrating. Nvidia needs to fix this, and on top of it all, add a mode that does even scaling with best fit that doesn't add any blurring.

This would be such a simple thing to do, but WHY DOESN'T NVIDIA DO IT?

ewb 12-11-07 01:26 PM

Quote:

its nothing to do with the drivers. the videocard is outputting it correctly, its a tv problem

AdamK47 12-11-07 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Yeah this is annoying. I have gotten this to work sometimes by doing a lot of screwing around, but everytime I upgrade the driver I have to do it all over again and it is extremely frustrating. Nvidia needs to fix this, and on top of it all, add a mode that does even scaling with best fit that doesn't add any blurring.

This would be such a simple thing to do, but WHY DOESN'T NVIDIA DO IT?

What did you do?