nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   So it seems that UT3 & Crysis have'nt sold well.... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104356)

omzig 12-15-07 12:54 PM

So it seems that UT3 & Crysis have'nt sold well....

Just saw this story over at shacknews

Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3 See Low Sales Debuts

Now it seems that ppl are pretty shocked that both these games have'nt become million sellers...but why are they shocked about this?

UT3....Sorry but imo epic have totally lost it now,UT3 is the worst of the series imo(and from that lack of sales it seem many other ppl agree) the Demo totally sucked and from what i've played of it the full game is'nt much better,maybe its the been there done that regurgitated from last 3 UT games gameplay that has just worn just a bit to thin for my tastes & fact that they've spent so much time slanting UT3 toward the console crowd really puts me off it,maybe there thinking that they can get more sales there because the console guys are'nt as jaded towards UT and that its now almost stale gameplay will free fresh and new to the ps3/360 crowd....I hope that cash sony waved epics way for the ps3 port helps to ease there poor PC sales...

One other major thing that put me off UT3 is epic's poor support for many of the GOW's crashing/jerky loading issues and communication over proper widescreen support in UT3 & i think many hardcore epic/ut fans now have a bad taste in there mouth because of issue's like that

Crysis...Well you all know what im gonna say now ;)
but even when cutting edge hardware runs your game at sub 60fps and to make it run well you have to make it look like **** and the later half of your game turns into a bug fest dont be really suprised if no one buys it.....yes i brought it and tryed to play it (hovered around 30/low 40's at med/high)but i dout i'll play it till the next gen of cards hit as i really want to see it shine maybe by then it will get patched....btw i not slagging of crytek here i really love that there pushing the envelope

One other thing is that might be effecting sales is that theres just TO MANY good/great games out atm,publishers have to come to realise that i have money in my pocket all year around and that they dont have to cram every AAA title they have into 2 months of the year!

Anyone else as NOT shocked as i am to read this news?

Jonelo 12-15-07 01:08 PM

Re: So it seems that UT3 & Crysis have'nt sold well....

Maybe the prevision of sales for Crysis is for a long time periode , 2 or 3 years like Far Cry. This is typical for this style games and the PC - Far Cry 700.000 copys in four monts in 2004 and a total of 3 millons in PC , the source is Ubisoft . And maybe some part of sales is the digital distribution . About Unreal 3 , maybe the sales numbers are more negatives .

About digital distribution in USA

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11981111#storyContinued

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Co...LINE_GAMES.gif

Quote:

That’s why market researchers are seeing these numbers:

Traditional shrink-wrapped PC games in the U.S. retail market are on the decline, falling to $953 million in 2005, a 36 percent drop from $1.5 billion in 2001, according to the NPD Group.
Internet-related game revenues in North America, including online purchases, subscriptions and advertising, rose to $1 billion in 2005, more than six times the $160 million in 2001, according to DFC Intelligence.

IDC predicts U.S. sales of PC game downloads will almost double this year to about $500 million and grow to $763 million in 2007.
And about Crysis sales ... in Germany , only box sales

Quote:

Germany:

1 Crysis (PC)
2 Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
3 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC)
4 Assassin's Creed (PS3)
5 Assassin's Creed (Xbox 360)
6 Crysis Collector's Edition (PC)
7 High School Musical: Sing it (PS2)
8 WWE Smackdown vs. RAW 2008 (PS2)
9 Unreal Tournament 3 (PC)
10 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3)
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=30972

Noriega 12-15-07 01:13 PM

I think they are getting they infos from FORECASTS like this one

http://www.thesimexchange.com/stock.php?id=354

And I think that 80 000 is totaly LIE. Witcher in Poland ( where not everyone buy's original games ; ] ) sold 90 000 in one month. I think those numbers are sucked from my balls.

Jonelo 12-15-07 01:33 PM

Yes but

- this previsions no count the digital sales

- the numbers are unreal . COD 4 PC not exist, or are minus than 18000 units ,

and in Europe have good sales , example in Germany , Spain , or UK

jeffmd 12-15-07 01:42 PM

Of course most PC games don't "Sell well", pretty much every single "sell well" game has and includes its console ports.

PC gaming, while quality wise is up there, there just isn't enough of them. Consoles still sell most of the games.

S.I.N 12-15-07 01:53 PM

I thought UT3 at least from what I played in the demo was huge let down. Maybe after a few patches but I doubt it.

Basically when you think about Crysis all you think about is graphics because thats all what they really pushed more than anything. And thats the biggest problem because I think many want to play Crysis but being that they marketed it as graphics show piece more than thats how people want to play it and rather not play a lesser form of it by having to play it on low or even medium settings.

They should have tried to make it more scalable because its either very beautiful maxed out or downright ugly even at medium settings. But I think it will have legs. People are just waiting for there hardware to catch up to it. I will pick it up but not anytime soon as this is the only game that hammers my system and I wont upgrade just for it.

nekrosoft13 12-15-07 01:54 PM

people keep forgeting when it comes to NPD, their tracks their game sales mostly by EB and gamestop, some BB, CC info. But mostly EB and Gamestop.

they don't cound online sales.

plus while in USA, PC games sale less, in Europe, their sale more.

Noriega 12-15-07 01:55 PM

I think this list is not real. Just a someone imagination. I think this thread should be closed or you want to talk about something what is not true?

Jonelo 12-15-07 02:20 PM

This new is in all the webs and forums of the world. Next to the PC of 1800 dollars in cards for Crysis of Kotatu . I am discussing about this in several forums .

nutcrackr 12-15-07 03:13 PM

I don't think you should put too much weight on these numbers, unless EA says something or Crytek I am assuming that its selling better than Far Cry at the moment because it sold better than analyst expectations. When you sell better than expectations surely thats a good seller.

Also Far Cry sold over 3 million, thats cool

SH64 12-15-07 03:17 PM

I guess not so many people are getting Crysis because their PC's cant handle it ..

ClosetFanBoy 12-15-07 03:55 PM

Piracy! (lee)

Google Crysis torrent and look at the various sites hosting it + seeders + times downloaded. Crazy. Goes for most games, but that ones a biggy.

As far as UT3 goes, maybe that type of online game play is not as appealing as it once was? It seems team based warfare online games are the hot thing these days. I could be totally wrong, but that's what I'm personally drawn too. COD4 for example.

I keep holding off on UT3. One of the games I've yet to play, and I'm dying for a new MP to sweep me away, but I just dont see this as being the "one". As far as the UT3 engine itself goes, well, it certainly doesnt seem to be bad since so many games seem to be licensed on it. The engine itself, is hardly a failure. Personally I think it's pretty damn cool.

I think X-mas will give a lot of these games a boost. But what ones... ;)