nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   "Vdamper" Rocks my socks! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104377)

mythy 12-15-07 09:12 PM

"Vdamper" Rocks my socks!

So I have always hated Vdrop but... Today I have discovered a ASUS bios setting called "Vdamper" and after enabling it my Vdrop under full Prime small ftp load is ONLY 0.006 :eek:

So with this feature enabled I have been able to reduce my Vcore from 1.412 to 1.345 and still maintain stability :D Has any one else figured this out?

conroejoe 12-15-07 09:40 PM

Re: "Vdamper" Rocks my socks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mythy
So I have always hated Vdrop but... Today I have discovered a ASUS bios setting called "Vdamper" and after enabling it my Vdrop under full Prime small ftp load is ONLY 0.006 :eek:

So with this feature enabled I have been able to reduce my Vcore from 1.412 to 1.345 and still maintain stability :D Has any one else figured this out?

Yup, it was the reason most of us bought the Asus board LOL

mullet 12-15-07 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mythy

Yes its called a Vmod (pencil mod) on the mobo. Some mobos have this setting in the Bios but most of the time it doesn't work like on my P5E I have now. What mobo do you have now?

mythy 12-16-07 08:40 AM

yea P5K Deluxe its freaking amazing! I'm not trading this mobo for the world :D

mythy 12-16-07 09:04 AM

I had the max3 as well I loved the blue lights :D

mythy 12-16-07 09:24 AM

I thought they were blue under the plastic shroud :o

CaptNKILL 12-16-07 12:41 PM

Anyone know if Gigabyte P35 boards have a similar setting?

I know my CPU has a bit more headroom but I'm already running at 1.5v just to compensate for the vdroop under load. I don't want to take the voltage any higher.

ATOJAR 01-01-08 06:56 PM

Dont think my board has this feature :( ... what exactly is it uner in the bios? where abouts is it?

conroejoe 01-01-08 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Anyone know if Gigabyte P35 boards have a similar setting?

I know my CPU has a bit more headroom but I'm already running at 1.5v just to compensate for the vdroop under load. I don't want to take the voltage any higher.

They definitely do not. I got rid of my DS3R because the droop with quad was so bad. Went to p5k-e.

bacon12 01-01-08 10:45 PM

What exactly is the pencil mod? I have seen the pics and read post after post and don't get it.

conroejoe 01-03-08 01:29 AM

it reduces the resistance so that there is less droop. Vdroop is there to protect the CPU during load, however when you are overclocking and it's critical to maintain a minimum voltage for stability and it's dipping then this can be a problem. The vdroop mod, you pencil across the resistor removing or reducing the resistance to very little and you will maintain much more consistent voltage. The p5k introduced voltage damper which works very well.

mullet 01-03-08 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter
Is the vdamper option still included in newer BIOS versions (0705 for example)?

EDIT: it's called Load-Line Calibation now :)

The P5E has it Load-Line Calibation but it isn't working with the current Bios.