nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Good Lown End Games... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104889)

|MaguS| 12-22-07 09:45 PM

Good Lown End Games...

So I got this laptop and well cant figure out what games to install on it. It has a good CPU but the GPU is really lacking. I got system shock 2 installed so far aswell as world of warcraft... what else should I intall thats not too demanding aswell as doesnt require a mouse for quick movements.

crainger 12-22-07 09:52 PM

Re: Good Lown End Games...

Baulders Gate and Planescape Torment!

There is a mod that lets you run it at any res you want.

Other than that... The Sims? :p

CaptNKILL 12-22-07 09:56 PM

The new Sam and Max games probably work fine on there if you're into adventure games.

HL2 probably works pretty good as well. The X3100 really isn't too bad of an integrated chip compared to the crap they used to stick in laptops.

Morrowind, KOTOR, Deus Ex, Arx Fatalis, emulators, MAME... pretty much whatever you want as long as it wasn't made in the last 2 years. :p

|MaguS| 12-22-07 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crainger
Baulders Gate and Planescape Torment!

Last time i tried them, they didnt work on vista very well but it could have been due to nvidia drivers...

Havent purchased the new Sam and Max games yet. got Season 1 but finished it.

crainger 12-22-07 10:01 PM

I couldn't get them to run under Vista with 3D acceleration. Software works fine.

Sam and Max is a good start. Could also try the older Command and Conquers, Total Annihilation, SimGolf (I love that game), Perhaps HL1 and SiN1? (Hyperblade? :) GTA2!

Sorry, just reading through my older games now... :)

|MaguS| 12-22-07 10:08 PM

mind you that they gotta be vista compatible.

crainger 12-22-07 10:13 PM

Everything is Vista compatible. :p

Only one way to find out... Install and see.

jeffmd 12-22-07 11:19 PM

I 2nd captnkill, samnmax is a nice laptop game, runs like a dream on my x1300. You should clarify what exactly your video chipset is. "Low end" games could mean a million different erras now.

CaptNKILL 12-22-07 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffmd
I 2nd captnkill, samnmax is a nice laptop game, runs like a dream on my x1300. You should clarify what exactly your video chipset is. "Low end" games could mean a million different erras now.

Its in his sig.

Its the Intel X3100.

EDIT: If you have Steam, install it and try any games that are in your account. You'd be very surprised how flexible the source engine is.

HL2 was playable at 800x600 with low settings on a PCI geforce 2 mx 200 32Mb (64bit non-DDR...). That X3100 is a hell of a lot faster than a geforce 2.

jeffmd 12-22-07 11:23 PM

oh duh... im half asleep here. ^^

Wanted to play some WoW but its down. :(

LT.Schaffer 12-22-07 11:39 PM

Re: Good Low End Games...

Well if you like point&Click adventure games
1.Return to mysterious island
Or
2.Hoyle Puzzle&Board Games 2008 [Beware it's very hard to stop playing this][Chess/checkers/etc.

jAkUp 12-23-07 12:52 AM

Half Life 1!