nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Crysis (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Tweaking Crysis with Gaco Retail_Tweak_Config_v1.0 Can it get any better on Vista? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105221)

Digital_Trans 12-28-07 11:59 PM

Tweaking Crysis with Gaco Retail_Tweak_Config_v1.0 Can it get any better on Vista?

I've been using Gaco's Retail_Tweak_Config_v1.0 which seems to be doing a great job so far on Windows Vista x64. It's been even far more better now that I have NVIDIA SLI again. I just had more burning questions to ask.
Is there away to make Crysis in Windows Vista x64 better then what Gaco's retail tweak config file has done so far? The game has been out for more then a month so I was just wondering if there's been anything new to bring to the table with tweaking Crysis graphics out.

agentkay 12-29-07 12:12 AM

Re: Tweaking Crysis with Gaco Retail_Tweak_Config_v1.0 Can it get any better on Vista

I would say some LOD tweaks are a good way to start to improve the draw distance of some objects a little.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104498

Here is a list of some of the cvars that you can modify above "very high" values.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7...sra4io7.th.gif

The first things that I'd change are the light beams to "300" and the shadow resolution to "2048". You can do a lot more as you can see in that list.

m3dude 12-29-07 12:16 AM

Re: Tweaking Crysis with Gaco Retail_Tweak_Config_v1.0 Can it get any better on Vista

lol, changing shadows to 2048, say goodbye to performance, even with sli. and u have a 30 inch monitor? no way in hell

agentkay 12-29-07 01:10 PM

Yes the performance hit of 2048x2048 shadow textures is soooo huge and even much larger on computers with SLI. It makes the game unplayable.... totally.

Gaco's 1.01 cfg with motion blur and regular "high" shadows (default) - 28.4 fps

http://img160.imagevenue.com/loc833/..._122_833lo.jpg

Gaco's 1.01 cfg with motion blur and "high" shadows but with 2048x2048 shadow textures (e_shadows_max_texture_size=2048) - 26.2 fps

http://img132.imagevenue.com/loc1108...122_1108lo.jpg

Revs 12-29-07 01:23 PM

Re: Tweaking Crysis with Gaco Retail_Tweak_Config_v1.0 Can it get any better on Vista?

Running on 'very high' shadows here, no probs :)

agentkay 12-29-07 01:39 PM

Just for the sake of information:

The default shadow texture resolution in high and very high is the same at 1024x1024. "Very high" has a more detailed shadow blur effect, increased shadow LOD, and disabled sun shadow map cache.

"Very high" shadows are also using the Geometry shader unit to generatate the shadow maps but I didn't run any tests if it actually increases the efficiency how the shadows are rendered.

Nanosuitguy 12-29-07 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3dude
lol, changing shadows to 2048, say goodbye to performance, even with sli. and u have a 3 inch monitor? no way in hell

Hes right, for once in a history. Shadows on 2048 will cost performance for sure, especially on ATI cards.Also increasing lightbeams to 300 cost more performance. Cant you read that this guy is after more performance? not more eye candy. I tried Cago's config but it didnt give me any better performance than running without cfgs on everything veryhigh. Basically i only got texturestreaming with his config. However i found a custom tweak on the net that gave me about a 10+ fps increase. And it still all those veryhigh settings remains.

Take a look, its worth trying out;

con_restricted = 0
sys_spec_GameEffects = 3
sys_spec_ObjectDetail = 3
sys_spec_Particles = 3
sys_spec_Physics = 3
sys_spec_PostProcessing = 3
sys_spec_Shading = 3
sys_spec_Shadows = 3
sys_spec_Sound = 4
sys_spec_Texture = 3
sys_spec_VolumetricEffects = 3
sys_spec_Water = 3
sys_budget_videomem = 512
sys_budget_sysmem = 2048
sys_physics_CPU = 0

r_MultiGPU = 0

r_TerrainAO_FadeDist=1
r_TexturesStreaming=0
r_TexAtlasSize=2048

r_Flares = 1
r_Coronas = 1
r_UseEdgeAA = 1
r_sunshafts = 1
r_colorgrading = 1
r_UsePom = 0
r_Beams = 3
r_BeamsDistFactor = 0.02
r_BeamsMaxSlices = 175
r_MotionBlur = 4
r_DepthOfField = 2
r_WaterGodRays = 1

e_water_ocean_fft = 1
e_water_tesselation_amount = 10
e_obj_quality=4
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation = 45
e_view_dist_ratio = 60
e_view_dist_ratio_detail = 30
e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy = 4096
e_detail_materials_view_dist_z = 256
e_particles_lod=0.7
e_vegetation_min_size=1.5
e_gsm_lods_num=4
e_shadows_from_terrain_in_all_lods=0
e_shadows_max_texture_size=1024
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio=1.2
e_lods = 1

es_OnDemandPhysics = 1
s_MaxChannels = 24
g_battleDust_enable = 1

q_ShaderGeneral=3
q_ShaderMetal=3
q_ShaderGlass=2
q_ShaderVegetation=3
q_ShaderIce=3
q_ShaderTerrain=3
q_ShaderShadow=3
q_ShaderFX=3
q_ShaderPostProcess=3
q_ShaderHDR=3
q_ShaderSky=2
q_Renderer=3

agentkay 12-29-07 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanosuitguy
Hes right, for once in a history. Shadows on 2048 will cost performance for sure, especially on ATI cards.Also increasing lightbeams to 300 cost more performance. Cant you read that this guy is after more performance? not more eye candy. I tried Cago's config but it didnt give me any better performance than running without cfgs on everything veryhigh. Basically i only got texturestreaming with his config. However i found a custom tweak on the net that gave me about a 10+ fps increase. And it still all those veryhigh settings remains.

I never said that it wouldn't cost performance. ;) Digital_Trans wanted to know if there are ways to get more eye candy and yes there are and I responded accordingly. It is common sense that settings above "very high" will cost some performance but certain people shouldn't act like they turn the game into a slideshow.

Thanks for the new config, I'll give a try (but probably enable POM and change motion blur back to 1)

Nanosuitguy 12-29-07 08:38 PM

Actually this is what he says;
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Trans
Is there away to make Crysis in Windows Vista x64 better then what Gaco's retail tweak config file has done so far?

He only ask for ways to make it better. Better can mean both better quality or better performance. I guess he need both, or am i wrong? Anyway, in my config i kept the veryhigh settings for good visuals and tweaked some other things.. result was a 7 - 10 fps increase witch give me an average fps of around 30 with drops to 25.. And it feels rather smooth and definately playable. Cant wait for the new patch...

POM is no good agentkay, it cost around 5 fps and it only looks good closeup. Near distant and distant grounds get blurry because the texture lockup used with POM doesn't support AF, it will look bad. So i suggest you go for more performance and better textures and disable POM. Besides even without POM the textures sill have regular bumpmapping. Do what fits you best with motionblur and stuff. I personally like it when the mountains and distance are blurred slightly. It looks better.

agentkay 12-29-07 09:23 PM

True that, "better" can mean both performance or visual. :) I know its a shame that AF doesn't work perfectly with POM but personally I do like it. I played the levels quite a few times without POM and with 16AF but usually I enable POM back again because I miss it. :lol: The DoF that slightly blurrs the distant mountains is very nice though!

It is a good config and nicely balanced! :thumbsup:

Nanosuitguy 12-29-07 09:28 PM

Am glad you liked it! Tell me, how much fps increase did you get from my cfg than from Gaco's or from stock veryhigh settings?

If u dont know, can you measure please?

Also try to compare visual difference

Digital_Trans 12-30-07 12:58 PM

Re: Tweaking Crysis with Gaco Retail_Tweak_Config_v1.0 Can it get any better on Vista?

I'm after good visuals and tweaked performance. What do I need to do in order to achieve this?