nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Warner to go Blu-ray exclusive May 2008! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105615)

Gaco 01-04-08 03:49 PM

Warner to go Blu-ray exclusive May 2008!

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

Nice! Good to see the better format winning. Format war is basically over now IMO. And good thing I choose the right one :)

Danothemano 01-04-08 03:54 PM

Re: Warner to go Blu-ray exclusive May 2008!

Yep. Just got home and read this. I bet that Sony paid Warner a LARGE sum of money, Just like HD-DVD did to Paramount. It'll be interesting to see what HD-DVD has to say at their CES press conference on Sunday. Good thing I didn't buy alot of HD-DVD's. Only have about 15 of em. I wouldn't call it the better format since it's more expensive. But even though I am a HD-DVD guy, I'm glad that I can finally buy HDM and not have to worry if it will go away.

LurkerLito 01-04-08 04:01 PM

I wonder if they'll still go to their HD-DVD CES conference :).

jAkUp 01-04-08 04:05 PM

Well I don't think either format has won yet since Paramount is still HD-DVD correct?

S.I.N 01-04-08 04:17 PM

This puts HD DVD down for the count. I predict $99 HD DVD players very soon.

six_storm 01-04-08 04:18 PM

Wow, this is crazy.

AthlonXP1800 01-04-08 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAkUp
Well I don't think either format has won yet since Paramount is still HD-DVD correct?

Well weeks ago I read the reports about Warner's expect to announcement Blu-ray exclusive at CES, if Warner go exclusive then Fox will go Blu-ray exclusive to join with Warner and also Paramount will take $150m HD-DVD money and run to Blu-ray camp, meaning Paramount will have no choice but to dump HD-DVD a year earlier than when 18 month contract due to expire.

AthlonXP1800 01-04-08 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.I.N
This puts HD DVD down for the count. I predict $99 HD DVD players very soon.

Same thing happened to $99 Betamax, it sold out in a matter of days until supply completed vanished and discontinued. I think if all HD-DVD players sell at $99 then it will vanish completely and discontinue by June/July 2008.

S.I.N 01-04-08 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
Well weeks ago I read the reports about Warner's expect to announcement Blu-ray exclusive at CES, if Warner go exclusive then Fox will go Blu-ray exclusive to join with Warner and also Paramount will take $150m HD-DVD money and run to Blu-ray camp, meaning Paramount will have no choice but to dump HD-DVD a year earlier than when 18 month due to expire.

Why do you think everyone will suddenly go exclusive? Separate companies no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
Same thing happened to $99 Betamax, it sold out in a matter of days until supply completed vanished and discontinued. I think if all HD-DVD players sell at $99 then it will vanish completely and discontinue by June/July 2008.

I dont think HD DVD will die that soon but I do see price cuts coming.

six_storm 01-04-08 04:31 PM

I'm glad I sold my HD-DVD 360 addon last year lol. Hopefully this will show some light at the end of the tunnel that is the format wars.

AthlonXP1800 01-04-08 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.I.N
Why do you think everyone will suddenly go exclusive? Separate companies no?

So why did everybody wanted Blu-ray? Cos it offer bigger storage than HD-DVD and the studios recognised Blu-ray has massive market around the globe than HD-DVD. Blu-ray had a big head start with cheaper Blu-ray writers and later this year Blu-ray recorders will launch in Europe and USA.

What about HD-DVD? None, they completed missed the boat.

Gaco 01-04-08 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAkUp

Losing Warner is a HUGE I mean HUGE hit for HD DVD. They are one of the most active HDM publishers of all the studios and the result is now that Blu-ray sits on 70% of the market and IMO the format war is basically over. The Paramount deal was only for 18 months which means about a year to go. The future is blu, and it was only after extensive research all through november and december that I bought into BD this chrismas. I'm glad I made the right choice myself.