nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   How brilliant would a STALKER MMORPG be? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105729)

DoomUK 01-06-08 05:40 PM

How brilliant would a STALKER MMORPG be?

Just a random thought/brainfart.

You can just picture yourself playing as a STALKER in The Zone, battling with other players over artifacts and/or fighting off bloodsuckers and zombies co-operatively.

Would be highly cool :)

It would certainly educate me as to what all the fuss about MMORPGs is.

crainger 01-06-08 05:46 PM

Re: How brilliant would a STALKER MMORPG be?

It would be very cool.

I could tell you all to "Get out of here STALKERs!".

LORD-eX-Bu 01-06-08 05:51 PM

it would probably turn out like Tabula Rasa and suck ass.

jcrox 01-06-08 05:57 PM

:thumbdwn:

I for one refuse to pay money so that I can play a game that I paid for.

LORD-eX-Bu 01-06-08 06:01 PM

alot of MMOs have adopted the "free-to-play" model :POKE:

jcrox 01-06-08 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LORD-eX-Bu
alot of MMOs have adopted the "free-to-play" model :POKE:

Oh wow, I wasn't aware. FPS MMORPG... hmmmm

:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

Unstable_Hero 01-19-08 02:23 AM

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/17/s-...ering-an-mmog/

I hope so. ;)

LORD-eX-Bu 01-19-08 02:27 AM

Quote:

In much the same way that Elder Scrolls games are like Everquest without stupid people, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sort of reminded us of Anarchy Online without the crushing, ever-present stench of failure.
:udawg:

SH64 01-19-08 02:58 AM

NO!
Please keep it SP FPS.

bob saget 01-19-08 03:09 AM

well, the STALkER atmosphere would be cool i guess...since its pretty addicting, but I for one stick to FPSs.

spirited1 01-19-08 05:44 AM

I don't understand why people think a dev team that made a successful single player game could go on to make a half decent mmo. I see this a lot. And I think the dev teams that think they can do this are more often than not biting off more than they can chew. There are very, very few teams that are good at more than one genre (Square rocks, and were succesful with FFXI, but Ergheiz and Dirge of Cerberus? Urgh). Nice levelling system in Oblivion :thumbdwn: , anyone think Bethesda can be trusted with an MMO? They'll get the world and lore right.. probably quests too.. but what about class balance, travel, server stability, pvp, economy, loot tables and distribution, raid targets, dps tables, etc etc etc. They have a big name, but that doesn't mean they have the skills. I don't play Oblivion without 'fixing it' with levelling mods and such and I know most of you are the same. You can't fix an MMO like that, so you won't be able to fix theirs.

Blizzard is one of the very very few teams that could carry something like this off. That's because of their IP, legions of fans, attention to detail, lessons learned through battle.net and obsessive QA (and hiring a handful of talented EverQuest 1 guild leaders who know MMO's inside out also helped). Without a recognisable IP that's been around for a long time you're gonna really struggle. Look at the current succesful MMO's out there. WoW, EverQuest, Final Fantasy, Lord of the Rings. And coming up soon Conan and Warhammer. See a pattern?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say a STALKER MMO would suck balls. Big time.

mezkal 01-19-08 06:05 AM

Ergheiz was a great fighting game with lots of depth and anyone who questions it just doesn't know the F they're on about meanwhile Einhander was a great shooter for the PSX. Square have been successful with far more than FFXI (which I found really boring) - Parasite Eve and Chrono Trigger are two games that quickly spring to mind but they were in the same genre. What makes you think that you know better than a game dev team would? Any experience in game development that you'd care to share?

GSC are one of the few companies to bother to marry RPG and FPS and probably the only who've actually pulled it off so I'd say they might even be able to make a decent MMOG.