nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Crysis (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   I need some advice. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106228)

H4yd3n 01-14-08 02:50 PM

I need some advice.

Okay, I'm going to be getting a computer at the end of the week. I was wondering, what is the best thing I can buy for around $1500.00 USD. I was looking at the Dell XPS 420 with an NVidia 8800 GTS and 4gb RAM with Vista. I also was trying to decide if it was worth it to pay the $300 extra for a
Q6700 instead of a Q6600.

I need your input on what kind of computer I should get, and I'm posting this here, because I want a rig that can run Crysis on Very High DX10 within my price range.

I appreciate the help.

-H4yd3n

LORD-eX-Bu 01-14-08 02:53 PM

Re: I need some advice.

you won't be able to run crysis on very high.. build your own and save money.

Go with a q6600 G0 and overclock it, you'll get better results than with a QX6700... even if it wasn't overclocked :lol:

get two 8800 GTs(good luck finding them) and SLI them so you can save money and still have good performance.

whatever you do, don't shell out the extra $300 for a q6700, definately not worth it.

brady 01-14-08 02:53 PM

Not to be rude, but there are several threads with a similar topic going on right now. Search around.

Feyy 01-14-08 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LORD-eX-Bu
build your own and save money.

Lord is right, and please don't ever buy a piece of trash Dell as a "gaming" pc.

brady 01-14-08 02:56 PM

Quote:

you won't be able to run crysis on very high.. build your own and save money.

Go with a q6600 G0 and overclock it, you'll get better results than with a QX6700... even if it wasn't overclocked :lol:

get two 8800 GTs(good luck finding them) and SLI them so you can save money and still have good performance.

I you're ok with low resolutions like1024x768 or 1360x768 (in my case) then with that system you can run DX10 very high. Unfortunately most people are not playing Crysis on their TV's so you'll be running a lower res than you're monitors native which never looks as crisp.

H4yd3n 01-14-08 05:41 PM

I've been looking around, and it really does seem like if I want to save money and get what I want I'm going to have to build one. But it is just such a hassle, I was hoping to be able to just buy it already built. :p

Also, I know nothing of overclocking so....

Again, thx for the advice. I need it.

methimpikehoses 01-14-08 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H4yd3n
I've been looking around, and it really does seem like if I want to save money and get what I want I'm going to have to build one. But it is just such a hassle, I was hoping to be able to just buy it already built. :p

Also, I know nothing of overclocking so....

Again, thx for the advice. I need it.

I built my first rig last year... it really isn't difficult. Just a matter of buying the correct parts, knowing some of the basics of putting things together, and taking your time. It's actually quite rewarding.

You should be able to get help every step of the way here anyhow. :)

LORD-eX-Bu 01-14-08 06:17 PM

yes... if you can snap two legos together then it shouldn't be a problem.

ClosetFanBoy 01-14-08 10:04 PM

Check out overclockers.com. Good place to start and ask some Q's. You should be able to build a pretty decent rig with $1500 if you do your homework. Even for $1000 you could build something that would knock that Dell in the dirt.

I'm a fan of Gigabyte and G.Skill myself, but everyones tastes/miles vary.

Whatever you do, look into a good PSU!

Here's a fun place to trip around Xoxide

I think their caffeine section is my favorite. ;)

Like everyone said, building a rig is cake really, and once you do, theres no turning back, it's pretty addicting...

crainger 01-15-08 12:33 AM

Quote:

yes... if you can snap lego together then it shouldn't be a problem.

Fixed.

MowTin 01-15-08 01:22 AM

Quote:

yes... if you can snap two legos together then it shouldn't be a problem.

Until you put all the legos together and your motherboard doesn't post :P

It rarely goes smoothly.

Toss3 01-15-08 01:37 AM

Get a q6600, 2x3870s in Crossfire, a nice 600w+PSU, 4Gb of RAM(800Mhz CL4 is good enough), a nice P5K motherboard and you're all set! And it'll cost you a lot less than that Dell.

EDIT: Umm, I don't think there's any computer on the market that is able to run Crysis at very high in DX10(Tri SLi perhaps, but that's waaay out of your budget), but two 3870 in crossfire should give you the performance you need for a lot less than what two 8800gt would cost you.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/605/8/