nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   WoW gold limit reached (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106478)

zoomy942 01-18-08 05:18 PM

WoW gold limit reached

onoze!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/18/wo...old-limit-cap/

jeffmd 01-19-08 10:20 AM

Re: WoW gold limit reached

hah, thats insane.

|MaguS| 01-19-08 12:28 PM

Such a weird number...

Son Goku 01-19-08 11:46 PM

So, why store it in a 32-bit int? I'd say the one's who were arguably lazy enough to re-use graphics (argument for restricting flying mounts from Azeroth, due to mention "it will look bad as when one flies into SW on gryphon, they're seeing Stormgarde Keep, and we don't want players to see this"; which might come to bite them in the foot if people are like "why couldn't I use a flying mount in Northrend, or can I? it's Azeroth?); simply didn't chose to get around the simple use of a 32-bit int.

There are ways, and in this in CS 251, one of the programming projects was to create an infinite precision integer package, using linked lists, and then to compute 1,000 factorial to it's precise, non-rounded result. It does take a lil more code however.

jeffmd 01-20-08 04:27 AM

Goku, get real, 214K is a pipe dream for 99.9% of the population, now and in WotLK. 32bit int is more then enough. remembers this is yet one of many values needed to be stored for the what..10+ million (I could be totaly off and this number could be much much bigger) player avatars in the world.

Btw what do you mean about stormgarde and stormwind? they are far from eachother, you wouldnt see one from the other even on a mount.

KasuCode 01-20-08 04:31 AM

Unless they recently added this I had over 500,000 gold on my account (around 640k) I was the guild bank. That was before BC.

Rakeesh 01-20-08 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son Goku
So, why store it in a 32-bit int?

Possibly a software optimization is my guess. Rather than take 3+ steps to process this value each time it is used (depending on the operation,) it will be done in one step almost always. Client side this wouldn't matter much, but server side it saves precious CPU time. Unless of course the server doesn't really pay attention to how much gold you actually have and leaves that up to the client, but that would be a very bad idea.

Tr1cK 01-21-08 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanonecode
Unless they recently added this I had over 500,000 gold on my account (around 640k) I was the guild bank. That was before BC.

Sorry dude, but I don't believe that.

KasuCode 01-21-08 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr1cK
Sorry dude, but I don't believe that.

Are guild had a system setup to run up to 20 people at a time thru BWL, AQ and nax, we auctioned the loot off getting around 100-2k gold per loot. I was raid leader of the guild. Wow is the reason I have very few post on these forums. Trust me, are guild bank was loaded. We used money to buy things like herbs for pots to learn new enounters as well as pay repair bills. After BC are guild broke up into 3 guilds splitting the bank and giving out "epic" flying mounts (5k mounts) to everyone that was a big help with the "farm runs" as we called it.

Im not making it up to impress anyone. Dont believe me if you dont want to.

Tr1cK 01-21-08 02:46 PM

You are just the first person to act like over 200k gold is no big deal. Nobody else out there is putting out claims such as yours.

Son Goku 01-21-08 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Possibly a software optimization is my guess. Rather than take 3+ steps to process this value each time it is used (depending on the operation,) it will be done in one step almost always. Client side this wouldn't matter much, but server side it saves precious CPU time. Unless of course the server doesn't really pay attention to how much gold you actually have and leaves that up to the client, but that would be a very bad idea.

More likely then not, I would suspect time savings, not so much on the server, but the programmers. Why do I say this? Just for instance look at the rationale for not allowing flying mounts in Azeroth. It's hard to re-find a post from Blizzard's developers some year back (or their response/complaints to no flying mounts in Azeroth which were brought up before the release of Burning Crusdade), but graphics shortcuts/re-using some graphics in other areas when one flew on gryphons was given as a reason why.

But again, this short cut in development will return again, with issue of possibly losing flying mounts in Northrend, which is stated "will happen". Mind you, going to higher then lvl 70 content, where one won't be able to fly down (like we can in SMV) to make some battles easier, will be no trivial task. Also flying up, is a way to escape some pats if seen ahead of time, which again... But the biggie would be save up 5k gold for an epic, then lose it's use in an expansion.... I suspect the whole issue of flying mounts in Azeroth will come up again, and in the case of Northrend, Bliz will never end up hearing the end of it from their player base.

Especially given the size of Northrend (if there isn't additionall content/terrain to allow players to space out more), when going to farm for mining or herbalism. Basically, take an entire realm's population, stuff it all in a terrain about the size of BEM and Zangermarsh perhaps, and see what happens. Ninjas will probably become more so, as will people's general tendency to become hostile when they can't do their own thing due to heavily farmed areas. Now have to clear mobs, because one can't just land by a mining node they notice, only to clear and have it taken.... Speaking of angst, I can just envision the atmosphere now....

On the gold, it might have saved time in coding, but if more run into problems with the cap, more complaints from their user base might come up. That said, I don't want to know just how much farming some would have done to have hit a 200,000+ gold cap already.

Son Goku 01-21-08 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffmd
Goku, get real, 214K is a pipe dream for 99.9% of the population, now and in WotLK. 32bit int is more then enough. remembers this is yet one of many values needed to be stored for the what..10+ million (I could be totaly off and this number could be much much bigger) player avatars in the world.

If people are running into it, and Bliz is hearing comments. I'm stating what they would have done in taking shortcuts from a programming standpoint. This is the consequence that came up.

Actually it's the linked article that is making a deal out of anything by stating

Quote:

It's simply un-American! The commie sympathizers at Blizzard have apparently placed financial restrictions on the amount of gold players can have in World of Warcraft. WoW Insider reports two players have reached the anti-capitalist limit of 214,748 gold, 36 silver, 48 copper and that's the end of the road for them. After that they are not entitled to the cash they have earned by the sweat of their own fingertips.
I'm stating what they likely did, to have that limit in place; nothing more or less. I'd appreciate if you'd direct your "get real" comments at them, the ones who stated this; rather then try to put it on me for what the article, which I had no part in authoring, which started this thread, said. ;)

Quote:

Btw what do you mean about stormgarde and stormwind? they are far from eachother, you wouldnt see one from the other even on a mount.
Physical proximity has nothing to do with it. The stated matter was one of re-using graphics, not locality. That was one of Blizzard's own responces given to the argument/complaint made before BC was released, about flying mounts not being allowed in Azeroth. The argument went, that if they allowed it, without re-designing the graphics, it would look terrible and Blizzard doesn't want people to see that. Flying into SW on the gryphon was mentioned as one of the short cuts they implemented when designing the game, with a "it would look terrible because of this, if we allowed one to fly on the non-predifined flight path".

This was itself one of Blizzard's own reasons which was stated prior to BC's own releases, for why flying mounts were going to be restricted to Outland. There's no reason to assume they were lieing, on the matter of re-using graphics, in telling their customers no; when it came to the issue of denying flying mount access in older areas of the game.