nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Just bought Gainward's Geforce FX 5800 Ultra (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10653)

Badash 04-23-03 02:24 PM

Gainward Geforce FX 5800 Ultra

Well I just got 2 of these and they have the reference FX flow fan and heatsink on them, not the HSF you've seen in reviews. They are OEM cards. One came bundled in a large rectangular styrofoam with gainward tape all over it. So they will be the exact same noise as the rest. Is the reference fan a 50mm or 60mm? There is a panaflo that should easily swap with the ystech that's 28db that should also keep it colder. I'll post the details of the replacement fan when I find out the MM on the ystech. Thanks nrdstrm for the heads up on the loc of one of them.

RobHague 04-23-03 02:50 PM

Hmmm strange.... that really is false advertising. :S Well dodgy.

But welcome to the FX club :D please dont fondle the fairys on your way in. ;)

saturnotaku 04-23-03 03:20 PM

Did you order the cards and were they specifically advertised as the Power Pack? This doesn't sound good because I ordered one of these cards myself. I hope I'm not getting gyped. :|

I'll know for sure when the card arrives tomorrow.

marcocom 04-23-03 03:41 PM

Re: Gainward Geforce FX 5800 Ultra

Quote:

Originally posted by Badash
Well I just got 2 of these and they have the reference FX flow fan and heatsink on them, not the HSF you've seen in reviews. They are OEM cards. One came bundled in a large rectangular styrofoam with gainward tape all over it. So they will be the exact same noise as the rest. Is the reference fan a 50mm or 60mm? There is a panaflo that should easily swap with the ystech that's 28db that should also keep it colder. I'll post the details of the replacement fan when I find out the MM on the ystech. Thanks nrdstrm for the heads up on the loc of one of them.
tell us more!

does your experience have a fan of this type that may be upgradeable or replaced?

(btw - if you dont have the opaque and flimsier cooler shroud, then you dont have the original reference model that everyone bitched about. theres a newer revision that the higher-end mfrs are using (most definitely gainward. my asus has it) that has a clear, much stronger and redesigned version of the same flowFX system .)

im actually stoked on the cooling and see alot of possibilities for a fun summer of cooling solutions to try out. probably get something like the gainward solution and check that out for it, prolly try the water-cooled solution. theres a thermaltake fan-less solution that they claim is tested with the nv30! so i see the flowFX as a nice perk on this card (i also havent had room for a PCI card in the first slot ever due to always having better cooling on my GPU and frankly not one post-440BX motherboard i know of supports using the first PCI slot if the AGP slot is used.)

Solomon 04-23-03 03:48 PM

You ordered a GeForce FX 5800 Ultra Saturnotaku ?

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

saturnotaku 04-23-03 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Solomon
You ordered a GeForce FX 5800 Ultra Saturnotaku ?
Yes, yes I did. Not that I'm unhappy with my Radeon, far from it. I want it to play with and well, because it's an anomaly of a video card. Kinda like the Voodoo5 6000 in a way, but not. :cool:

Solomon 04-23-03 04:21 PM

How much did you pay for it? And where did you order it?

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

Badash 04-23-03 04:48 PM

It's clear, exactly like the one that I had last month from PNY except it has a ainward sticker. Yes it was advertised as the retail card including a sound card, etc. you know the package. Anyways I knew they didn't know crap when I ordered it, I wasn't even sure it was an Ultra cause I called them and they didn't know what the hell I was talking about. Anyways PCClub and GameVE.com were selling the OEM Gainward with the regular reference fan. The Gameve.com comes with 4x4 EVO and some game lite disc, drivers/expert tool dvi adapter and a svid to rca plug. I only wanted the Gainward for the copper on it. Would have been easy to mod. However I'm just going to mod these.
5800 OEM
Xtreme Gear is advertising one now.

There are 2 fans that should fit exactly where the ystech is depending on the speed/cfm/db that you want.
Panaflo FAL3F12LL

VoodooNinja 04-23-03 05:54 PM

I called XTREMEGEAR and they said that they are selling 'Retail Boxed' versions. Trusting that this is the truth is another story.

saturnotaku 04-23-03 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Solomon
How much did you pay for it? And where did you order it?
I bought mine from GameVE for $392. I'll have to see what I get when the package shows up tomorrow. My order lists it as the Power Pack, which should be this card here:

http://www.gainward.com/ProductImage...DR_500x375.jpg

Unfortunately, immediately after my card shipped, GameVE pulled the product off their site. This isn't boding well. However, I will be fully prepared to take any action necessary should the card I receive not be the Power Pack. It's nice to have a cousin who works for a law firm and is about ready to take the Bar. ;)

Badash 04-23-03 10:05 PM

I ordered one of them from gameve.com also, let me know if you get the retail card. Mine came in a styrofoam rectangle with Gainward tape, I'm sure you'll get the same thing. The reference fan is too loud for me I will have to remove or replace it. I wish the one from Gameve was the one in the pic. They also had the full spec list with sound card included, uhh I don't see one?

VoodooNinja 04-23-03 10:21 PM

I remember when they showed up at GameVE the other day. I E-Mailed them and asked if these were truly the 'Retail Boxed' versions shown in the picture. They never answered my E-Mail and they pulled the product from their site.

Badash, so the reviewers were correct in stating that they are LOUD?

The Gainward fan that is in the picture is supposed to be a few decibels quieter. I wonder if it is really that much more quiet as a few reviews on the Gainward state that there is still a fairly high pitched whine.