nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Console World (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   XBOXBOX team knowingly launched faulty hardware. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106830)

Shamrock 01-24-08 10:16 PM

XBOXBOX team knowingly launched faulty hardware.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10434

LycosV 01-25-08 01:46 AM

Re: XBOXBOX team knowingly launched faulty hardware.

I've seen the article but to be perfectly honest this seems like a hindsight is 20/20 issue to me. No company would knowingly launch faulty hardware. With more testing they probably could've detected that it was going to become a problem, but that can be said of any hardware failure.

You test untill you think you've got it "good enough" then you release. Microsoft just rolled a critical failure on this one, there wasn't any malice.

msxyz 01-25-08 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LycosV
I've seen the article but to be perfectly honest this seems like a hindsight is 20/20 issue to me. No company would knowingly launch faulty hardware. With more testing they probably could've detected that it was going to become a problem, but that can be said of any hardware failure.

You test untill you think you've got it "good enough" then you release. Microsoft just rolled a critical failure on this one, there wasn't any malice.

Considering it has costed them 1 billion dollars and a huge backlash in terms of popularity, I don't think they were fully aware of the extent of the problem.

And even assuming that they knew that the lifespam of the first generation of consoles would be very short, they wouldn't have produced about 12 millions of them before improving the design!

They could have spent less than a billion and have all the subsequent consoles built with a higher standard or using better cooling/components or whatever is causing early Xboxes to fail so early

BioHazZarD 01-25-08 12:48 PM

The ps3 in one test survived in a sauna, you think the 360 would be able to ? i bet you 10 bucks no way in hell.

Gorion 01-25-08 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioHazZarD
The ps3 in one test survived in a sauna, you think the 360 would be able to ? i bet you 10 bucks no way in hell.

Good thing the sauna didn't have any dust in it.

npras42 01-25-08 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LycosV

I don't think there was any malice. The article seems to make out that they thought "we'll get away with it!". They didn't. Not doing proper R&D before release to get it out early was the problem and now they are suffering the consequences.

As the guy said, they were desperate to get out to market quickly so badly that they thought they could sacrifice some money due to a slightly higher fail rate to get the foothold in the market. Seems reasonable for some small company to think like this, however for a company like MS they should know by now that these sorts of tactics don't work.

Lyme 01-25-08 02:49 PM

The title of the article is wrong, should have been more along the lines of "MS knowningly shipped undertested hardware". Given the amount of money they lost, they woulden't purposely do that to themselves. It costs them more to fix each unit, than doing it right the first time.

Shamrock 01-25-08 09:38 PM

No, the title is correct. They knowingly launched hardware that they admitted of a 30% failure rate, and ALL XBoxes would fail early.

Ayepecks 01-25-08 09:50 PM

MICROSOFT has not admitted anything. A supposed "insider" has, and honestly, I don't put much stock in it. Everything that he said could either be completely fabricated or it was information we already knew; there were no revelations in the "interview."

LycosV 01-26-08 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayepecks
MICROSOFT has not admitted anything. A supposed "insider" has, and honestly, I don't put much stock in it. Everything that he said could either be completely fabricated or it was information we already knew; there were no revelations in the "interview."

I agree. Besides, Microsoft has done right after the fact by upping the warranty to 3 years. How can anybody complain about that.

When my 360 RROD it was way beyond the original 90 day warranty, and I bet I'm not the only one in that boat.

I personally blame the failures on the stupid lead-free solder that's required by law in so many places. It may be better for the environment, but lead-free solder is inferior to lead solder.

Check out the following to see the 360's ball grid array problem close up: http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=223