nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another BUYER BEWARE (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107548)

BronzeGod 02-06-08 04:04 PM

Another BUYER BEWARE

This is pertaining to the NIC on the Asus board I just RMA'd. Do not purchase any boards that come with an Atheros NIC. The company does not support these things at all and they are super buggy.

grey_1 02-06-08 04:08 PM

Re: Another BUYER BEWARE

From someone who's planning an upgrade soon, thanks for the heads up. Sorry you're having trouble with your hardware though.

nekrosoft13 02-06-08 04:13 PM

Atheros NIC and WLAN are not buggy, Atheros makes best WLAN chips.

BronzeGod 02-06-08 04:33 PM

I don't know about the WLAN, and I'm speaking about the Atheros L1 GbE NIC, Atheros does not support thier own products either. So the only option is to rely on your mobo manufacturer to provide the drivers. If you happen to get a bugged nic, you have to RMA the entire board. This thread is to help prevent anyone from experiencing that.

nekrosoft13 02-06-08 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BronzeGod
I don't know about the WLAN, and I'm speaking about the Atheros L1 GbE NIC, Atheros does not support thier own products either. So the only option is to rely on your mobo manufacturer to provide the drivers. If you happen to get a bugged nic, you have to RMA the entire board. This thread is to help prevent anyone from experiencing that.

there you said it, IF YOU HAPPEN TO GET

you gonna condemn entire company because of one possible bad NIC?

I had a bad ATI card in past, my geforce 3 fried. does that mean no more ati or nvidia products for me.

BronzeGod 02-06-08 04:41 PM

look, stop ****ting on peoples threads, there are plenty of problems like this and I'm trying to make the members aware. My point is, this company produces a very very big mixed batch of NICs and there are more bad ones than good ones and they do not support them.

nekrosoft13 02-06-08 04:50 PM

again, how do you know how many bad or how many good they produce.

BronzeGod 02-06-08 04:54 PM

well you seem to not have a problem, while about 20 other people that I've seen when i was looking, have had the same problem i've had.

andy_nv 02-06-08 05:08 PM

I'm at a loss here, the P5B-VM in your sig has a Realtek LAN chipset. What board were you using ?

I have no problems with the Attansic (Atheros) L1 NIC and I had 2 boards with this chip.

edit: k, maybe they used Atheros at some point, also found a review where Intel was listed for LAN on the P5B-VM... :D

BronzeGod 02-06-08 05:42 PM

I had bought a P5E-VM HDMI to compliment the Q6600 and 8 gigs of ram i bought, it had the Atheros L1 that hated me, it arrived on monday this week, and it just got shipped back today haha !

You are correct ! The P5B-VM has a realtek gbe NIC that runs perfectly. I wish they would have kept it for the board i just had to RMA.

wysiwyg 02-07-08 08:22 AM

why did u get 8gb

thats a waste

BronzeGod 02-07-08 09:11 AM

Because it was on sale, and it would be a waste not to get it.