nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   overclocking GPU (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107702)

bob saget 02-08-08 09:32 PM

overclocking GPU

rivatuner is giving me this info
core- 540
shader- 1296
memory- 792
core temp- 60 :wtf:
is this right for it to be 60? seems a little high. Maybe i did something wrong, i followed this tutorial http://www.vaguesoft.com/users/dwood...als/rivatuner/
that guy's in the 40s for core temp. I stopped right where he is selecting the speeds. done everything up to there.
My ambient temp is between 43 and 44.
Any help what to do next? :o
EDIT: looking to generally get some more experience, if its considered fast to begin with, then that fine. any advice would be appreciated :)

bob saget 02-08-08 09:40 PM

Re: overclocking GPU

as in the tutorial, i have 3 profiles, 100%, 80%, and 60%. I am just not sure which one to set, and it always goes to fixed instead of auto (dont know if thats a good thing.)

bob saget 02-08-08 09:51 PM

during half life 2, it went up to 69 degrees.
EDIT: down to 58 at idle and fan at the 100% profile

methimpikehoses 02-08-08 10:06 PM

Those temps are fine.

bob saget 02-08-08 10:10 PM

yea? that profile thing is bs? (i mean, in the instructions) it said to set if goes more than 60, to turn fan to 100%, i took this as to be "emergency mode". And right away, obviously, my card fired up and started whining louder then i ever heared it. Anything to do with the clocks, i mean obviously test with games for artifacts or anything, but other then that. Any starting numbers?

methimpikehoses 02-08-08 10:16 PM

The fan noise is from being at 100%... someone should know for sure the safe temps on the GTS... I would think that ~70C is average under load.

bob saget 02-08-08 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
The fan noise is from being at 100%... someone should know for sure the safe temps on the GTS... I would think that ~70C is average under load.

ok, i will probably put for fan to go to 100% once it goes above 70, not 60.
I am just not understanding why its idling at ~58

methimpikehoses 02-09-08 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob saget
ok, i will probably put for fan to go to 100% once it goes above 70, not 60.
I am just not understanding why its idling at ~58

If you have a spare fan, try aiming a fan directly at your GTS and see what happens. Sometimes the temperature on the outside of the card will rise or the airflow may not be good directly below your card.

EciDemon 02-14-08 05:06 AM

Ambient temperature is important too. In the heatsink fins, hot moves to cold, so it can never get below your ambient temperature. If your blowing 40c air with the fan ... it can never get below 40c as an example.

That I guess why you'd see differences between systems as you would have to take the entire chassi and cooling into consideration.

Some easy steps can be taken though, such as cable management. Make sure you got a good airflow in your case. Intake fan in the front, and exaust in the back. You might want to have more intake air then exaust to get a positive air pressure in the case to keep dust away.

Buy a bigger case, directly related to above and it can make huge differences.

Just the other day I moved from my old Nobless Mirror case (midi Atx) to a TT Kandalf full tower. Gfx card temperatures was lowerd with a few degres just by moving to a better ventilated case with more room in.

EciDemon 02-14-08 05:09 AM

doubble post, connection here's acting stupid...

SLippe 02-14-08 06:11 AM

I used to run my eVGA 8800GTS KO ACS3 640MB @ 650/950 with the fan @ 100% and my temps were around 56' to 58' C idle and upper 60's, maybe low 70's, under load. Your temps are fine.

Libertysyclone 02-16-08 11:42 AM

g80 core is rated up to 110*C safely, you are more than fine.