nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Linux noob Kubuntu (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107737)

Drolfrawd 02-09-08 01:01 PM

Linux noob Kubuntu

Just done the basic install, now need loads of tips /help, need to install all sorts , first priority is the nvidia driver , help much appreciated.

Edit: rebooted my machine into vista, the rebooted in linux, now i cam only get the bash login? help

grey_1 02-09-08 01:53 PM

Re: Linux noob Kubuntu

When your rig is posting you'll see GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) loading. Hit escape, choose 'recovery console' and hit enter to boot. When you have your command line, type -minus quotes- "sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf"

Your xorg.conf file will come up. ctrl+v scrolls down, ctrl+y scrolls up. Look for this section.
Quote:

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation G80 [GeForce 8800 GTS]"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection
Yours will probably say "nv" where mine says "nvidia". Using your arrow keys, backspace and all, change that to read "vesa". If it says "vesa" change it to "nv".

ctrl+o to save, hit enter to write, then ctrl+x to exit nano.

Back at the command prompt type "exit". this will bring you from the recovery console to your login, hopefully with a desktop. If it does, reboot, make sure X (your graphical desktop) comes up.

Post back with results and we'll take it from there. :)

Drolfrawd 02-09-08 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
When your rig is posting you'll see GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) loading. Hit escape, choose 'recovery console' and hit enter to boot. When you have your command line, type -minus quotes- "sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf"

Your xorg.conf file will come up. ctrl+v scrolls down, ctrl+y scrolls up. Look for this section.

Yours will probably say "nv" where mine says "nvidia". Using your arrow keys, backspace and all, change that to read "vesa". If it says "vesa" change it to "nv".

ctrl+o to save, hit enter to write, then ctrl+x to exit nano.

Back at the command prompt type "exit". this will bring you from the recovery console to your login, hopefully with a desktop. If it does, reboot, make sure X (your graphical desktop) comes up.

Post back with results and we'll take it from there. :)

Great , Thanks grey 1 , your help is much appreciated, Just woke up from a snooze, thats why I have not replied, I'll post back shortly with the results.

Drolfrawd 02-09-08 04:06 PM

carried out instructions , but still encountering problems, after exiting the nano ,linux loads untill this point running local boot scripts (/etc/rc local).

I tried it twice,

Sextion Device was indeed showing nv so i changed it vesa. just went to above statement after saving config file.

should i reinstall it and at the first boot try and install the nvidia driver?

:D Thanks again for your help

grey_1 02-09-08 07:20 PM

I wouldn't reinstall. 'Buntu is a pain in the rear on newer cards til it's working. Very sweet after that.

If you boot into the recovery console and simply type 'startx' does the desktop come up?

Also, what card and monitor do you have?

Drolfrawd 02-09-08 07:43 PM

All stop , vista blue screened , took me 2 hours to sort that out, I will have to reinstall now as i formatted the disk that linux was on , your help is needed , so will post tomorrow or the next night on developments, for now many thanks

grey_1 02-09-08 09:59 PM

That's not good. Hope you get it sorted man.

You may want to try Envy - http://lunapark6.com/envy-easy-way-t...in-ubuntu.html

I've heard really good things about it.

Drolfrawd 02-12-08 04:32 PM

Got sorted out eventually , made a fundamental mistake , i thought one drive was the other and vice versi, so i completely wrecked my system, but no worries i have rebuilt , and all is well.