nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How can Orthos run for an hour if Prim95 fails after a minute? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108713)

sillyeagle 02-23-08 04:17 PM

How can Orthos run for an hour if Prim95 fails after a minute?

I picked up a Q6600 G0 yesterday and the thing sucks. I couldn't even get it stable at 2.8Ghz before adding the bios update, and even with that the thing is not stable.

Running at 3GHz I can run Orthos for over an hour, small FFTs on all four cores, but if I fire up Prime95 it errors out within a minute. How that be?

Wish my chip wasn't a piece of ****. I was running at 3.5Ghz with my dual.

Madpistol 02-23-08 04:45 PM

Re: How can Orthos run for an hour if Prim95 fails after a minute?

:headexplode:

That's a weird one.

Toss3 02-23-08 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillyeagle
I picked up a Q6600 G0 yesterday and the thing sucks. I couldn't even get it stable at 2.8Ghz before adding the bios update, and even with that the thing is not stable.

Running at 3GHz I can run Orthos for over an hour, small FFTs on all four cores, but if I fire up Prime95 it errors out within a minute. How that be?

Wish my chip wasn't a piece of ****. I was running at 3.5Ghz with my dual.

You have to use old bioses in order to achieve any sort of overclock with the 600-series of chipsets. :) Believe me intel's quad cores just don't mix with nvidia chipsets. :-/ Mine's perfectly stable at 3Ghz, but anything over that and it becomes unstable...(you could also try lowering the multi to 8x to see if there are any fsb holes - 450x8 is the only way for me to reach 3,6Ghz, but requires a lot of juice! Kind of wish I had gone for an intel based mobo instead.... 400-450 fsb won't boot for me and even 3ghz was unreachable on newer bioses.

AdamK47 02-23-08 06:03 PM

The quad cores don't mix well with the 680i nVidia boards. The 680i works very well with the new 45nm dual cores though. I have an e8400 @ 4050MHz on my AR revision eVGA 680i with the p32 BIOS. I'm holding off on quad core until Nehalem with it being a true native quad core CPU. That and there are only a handful of games that actually use more than 2 cores, so to have a dual core a 4GHz+ gives me far better gaming performance than a quad core at around 3GHz.

Amuro 02-23-08 08:57 PM

Probably because Prime95 stresses your memory subsystem more than Orthos does, especially if you run the blend test. What is the version of your EVGA 680i? I heard you need the A1 version for the quad cores to OC well. Anywho, try increae your north bridge voltage a bit and see if it helps.

sillyeagle 02-24-08 05:47 PM

I don't have the A1 revision unfortunatly. Guess I'm out of luck unless I want to get a new board.

Absolution 02-26-08 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillyeagle
I don't have the A1 revision unfortunatly. Guess I'm out of luck unless I want to get a new board.

they gave new boards to people who wanted to OC their quad core . . . you just had to prove you had a quad core and that was a valid RMA reason

hokeyplyr48 02-26-08 05:20 PM

yah just call em up. iirc they even paid for the shipping, at least they did for my friend. (both ways)

Toss3 03-01-08 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hokeyplyr48
yah just call em up. iirc they even paid for the shipping, at least they did for my friend. (both ways)

Holy crap that's some good service for ya! Too bad I don't live in the states.... :thumbdwn: Evga sure are nice! Wonder if their support in Europe is as good as the one you have there?

Revs 03-01-08 07:43 AM

It'll be the mobo, dude. 680i's differ hugely with OCing quads. I couldn't OC at all with an ABIT IN9-MAX mobo I had. The Striker was a little better at 3.0 Ghz.

Libertysyclone 03-01-08 09:38 AM

To answer your first question, you probably have the newest version of Prime and an older version of Orthos so it doesnt have the updated version of "prime" built into it yet. Prime seems to be more effeicent.

Good luck on the mobo

I have a 780 sitting on my desk that I am pretty sure I will be disapointed with when I try OC'ing my q6600 compared to my p5k-deluxe (P35)

Xion X2 03-01-08 05:10 PM

Get rid of that POS 680i.

Problem solved.