nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Circuit City Trading In HD DVD for Blu-Ray Players, Says Employee (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109369)

mullet 03-06-08 12:55 PM

Circuit City Trading In HD DVD for Blu-Ray Players, Says Employee

http://gizmodo.com/363974/circuit-ci...-says-employee

Anyone can confirm this?????

RaidenWoW 03-06-08 01:29 PM

Re: Circuit City Trading In HD DVD for Blu-Ray Players, Says Employee

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet

Bah. I just returned mine 2 days after Warner Bros. announcement. It was a smart thing to do. (though I'm still glad others who did the same thing have the chance).

Zelda_fan 03-06-08 11:13 PM

I think I'll keep my HD-DVD player, mainly because there will be a massive liquidation sale on HD-DVD movies. Remember, netflix is going to switch over completely to Blu-ray so they'll probably sell their HD-DVD stock pretty cheap.

RaidenWoW 03-06-08 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
I think I'll keep my HD-DVD player, mainly because there will be a massive liquidation sale on HD-DVD movies. Remember, netflix is going to switch over completely to Blu-ray so they'll probably sell their HD-DVD stock pretty cheap.

Smart. I might do the same.

mullet 03-07-08 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda_fan

Good point if you get the word post back here please.

CaptNKILL 03-07-08 08:53 AM

How many movies are currently on HD-DVD? It just seems odd to keep another player around and buy movies for it when the format is going to be phased out.

I'm sure all of the movies that are currently on HD-DVD will be converted to BD before long.

RaidenWoW 03-07-08 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
How many movies are currently on HD-DVD? It just seems odd to keep another player around and buy movies for it when the format is going to be phased out.

I'm sure all of the movies that are currently on HD-DVD will be converted to BD before long.

*sigh*

Instead of buying a blu-ray player and movies for $600 you can get the same **** for $200 with HD-DVD. Resale value won't be good for blu-ray either.

MustangSVT 03-07-08 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidenWoW
*sigh*

Instead of buying a blu-ray player and movies for $600 you can get the same **** for $200 with HD-DVD. Resale value won't be good for blu-ray either.

Exactly. So ya HD-DVD is phased out, but there's a good number of movies out for it. I've had the 360 player since it first came out and I bought the Toshiba HD-A3 for about $100 about a month ago or so.

I think people will soon realize Blu-Ray isn't all that great. So yea there's a "winning" format now, but what's the point in buying into it when the standalone player is like $400+ and the movies are considerably expensive (in comparison to HD DVD which is being cleared out).

I personally want to watch HD movies now (and have been watching HD DVD since june 2006) than like wait another 2 years for Blu-Ray players to get cheaper and Blu-Ray movies to get cheaper. This is what people fail to see. So let's say you wait till next summer (or more) and then finally buy a Blu-Ray player for a reasonable price and movies are more reasonable price too. You're all "happy" and all that that you got the "winning" format and waited it out. On the other hand, I will have been watching and enjoying movies at a reasonable price since mid 2006.

nekrosoft13 03-07-08 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL

about 450-500 different movies on HD-DVD

CaptNKILL 03-07-08 12:19 PM

Really? I had no idea there were that many.

Still, I don't think I could bring myself to invest in a format that will be pretty much obsolete in a couple years (once all the movies and players have been bought up).

Marvel_us 03-07-08 12:41 PM

So when the new releases come out what will you guys with HD-DVD players do?

Upscaled DVD ftw?

CaptNKILL 03-07-08 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvel_us
So when the new releases come out what will you guys with HD-DVD players do?

Upscaled DVD ftw?

That's what concerns me.

They may be a good deal now but you'll need a BD player for anything that isn't currently on HDDVD. And if your HD DVD player ever goes south your collection will be worthless unless you can find a used player somewhere.