nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Networking And Security (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Firewall (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110486)

sharvin 03-25-08 08:12 AM

Firewall

So my internet connection is slowed down to around 50kb/s and it says its because of a firewall but I only have windows firewall and no others installed I'm using a netgear router with a firewall on it but i haven't changed anything and have turned the firewall on it off, any ideas?:(

Revs 03-25-08 08:16 AM

Re: Firewall

If you haven't scanned for Virus's and spyware, do. If you have and your still getting problems, call your ISP and ask then to test the line from their end.

sharvin 03-25-08 08:31 AM

yeah I've scanned for virus' and spyware, I was thinking about calling the ISP but was thinking if I should wait a few more days since it was easter.

Runningman 03-25-08 01:03 PM

First off, did you power sysle your router? try to get the latest firmware for it and upgrade to that. Then turn off windows firewall and see what happens.

oh ya, is this internet connection DSL or Cable?

SLippe 03-25-08 08:52 PM

Run Hitman Pro.

sharvin 03-26-08 01:09 AM

sorry im new to having a router what does power sysle mean? its adsl+2 and it's a netgear router DG834 v2, I've already tried turning off windows firewall run virus scan and have the latest firmware.

crainger 03-26-08 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharvin
sorry im new to having a router what does power sysle mean? its adsl+2 and it's a netgear router DG834 v2, I've already tried turning off windows firewall run virus scan and have the latest firmware.

He meant Power Cycle. Runningman is a n00b so forget him. ::D:

Power Cycle is when you unplug the router from it's power. Let it sit for say 20seconds, then plug it back in. Will often fix small glitches that a warm reboot doesn't.

sharvin 03-26-08 02:59 AM

ah I see thanks, I just plugged in my old dsl-200 modem and it seems its the firewall on the router however it was working perfectly fine for the last month and i haven't changed any settings on it, it is slowing down everything firefox, bittorrent, ill try the cycle thing and see if it works, if it doesn't should I just use the reset button on the router?

Drolfrawd 04-04-08 04:16 PM

Quote:

ah I see thanks, I just plugged in my old dsl-200 modem and it seems its the firewall on the router however it was working perfectly fine for the last month and i haven't changed any settings on it, it is slowing down everything firefox, bittorrent, ill try the cycle thing and see if it works, if it doesn't should I just use the reset button on the router?

Netgear sucky big time me no love

crainger 04-04-08 09:31 PM

I have a Netgear, and I agree, it does suck for expert users, but for your average nvjoe. It's great, the menus have to be the easiest to navigate, which is import when parents need to log on and add sites and ports to block.

geezerone 04-12-08 10:12 AM

Quote:

So my internet connection is slowed down to around 50kb/s and it says its because of a firewall but I only have windows firewall and no others installed I'm using a netgear router with a firewall on it but i haven't changed anything and have turned the firewall on it off, any ideas?:(

What is telling you the firewall is slowing out of interest - not some spyware per chance ;)

Seriously, I have a Netgear DG834v1 and never had any slowing down on my ADSL connection. Power cycle = switch off leave off for a minute and switch on again. Don't switch off/on many times a day as your line to the local exchange will probably try to resync to find a stable (read slower) speed.

Do you leave it on all the time and which model is it?

Ideally you should use a software firewall that blocks content from your PC as the Windows firewall stops connections to it only. Not much good if a virus/spyware is on the PC and therefore has free reign to access the internet. :)

Free examples of software firewalls are: Zonealarm (free) and Comodo Pro