nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows XP And Vista (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How do I cancel that kind of driver installation that asks for disks on reboot? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110797)

uOpt 03-30-08 11:05 AM

How do I cancel that kind of driver installation that asks for disks on reboot?

How do I cancel a driver update that asks for a disk with *.sys after a reboot?

Long ago I inserted a random IDE controller into my machine and since then after each reboot I get dialog boxes asking for the disk with "ultra.sys" and "SRCDATA" after every reboot. This continues even after I don't have the controller in the box anymore :mad:

I know there is a a very easy one-step dialog box somewhere to cancel these across-reboot driver installations. Anybody can point me to it?

Thanks.

uOpt 11-28-08 04:08 PM

Re: How do I cancel that kind of driver installation that asks for disks on reboot?

Bump.

I still have the braindead thing ask for these drive-related files on every reboot.

I know that in the past I did successfully cancel such a across-reboot driver install, but now I can't find it.

Help!

XDanger 11-28-08 04:27 PM

Re: How do I cancel that kind of driver installation that asks for disks on reboot?

why cant you clean it out?

Drolfrawd 11-28-08 05:14 PM

You might want to try this press start\run\type msconfig click startup programs and look down the list for the offending entry.

uOpt 12-28-08 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDanger (Post 1858073)
why cant you clean it out?

Clean out where?

These half-installed drivers do not show up in hardware manager.

I *know* that there is some very simple menu somewhere where I can cancel these across-reboot driver installs. I just forgot where and it seems most people just reinstall XP when this happens :)

uOpt 12-28-08 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drolfrawd (Post 1858104)
You might want to try this press start\run\type msconfig click startup programs and look down the list for the offending entry.

No such program on my Win2K :(

wwec 12-28-08 10:53 AM

Tried computer management > device manager > view > show hidden devices then look for the offending items in non-plug and play drivers?

Wolfhound 12-28-08 11:06 AM

msconfig for win2k put it in c:/winnt/system32

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

uOpt 12-28-08 11:13 AM

I used msconfig from XP, it works.

But all entries in there are clearly unrelated (mostly Nvidia and mobsync)

uOpt 12-28-08 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwec (Post 1886379)
Tried computer management > device manager > view > show hidden devices then look for the offending items in non-plug and play drivers?

I'm afraid that won't do.

All the actual hardware for which these drivers are for has been removed about 2 years ago. So nothing of this comes close to the device manager.

This is why I'm so pissed. For 2 years I get these stupid driver install dialog boxes every time I boot this installation (very rarely these days), although I don't even use the hardware in question anymore.

jeffmd 12-29-08 12:41 PM

err...reinstall windows? its been 2 years. ^^

Wolfhound 12-30-08 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uOpt (Post 1886400)
I'm afraid that won't do.

All the actual hardware for which these drivers are for has been removed about 2 years ago. So nothing of this comes close to the device manager.

This is why I'm so pissed. For 2 years I get these stupid driver install dialog boxes every time I boot this installation (very rarely these days), although I don't even use the hardware in question anymore.

Have you uninstalled the drivers before removing the card? can you tell me what card it was (brand, model..etc) to search and give you the registry keys to delete.