nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New PC and Linux Compatability Question... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110968)

vh-bil 04-02-08 03:00 AM

New PC and Linux Compatability Question...

I just purchased a new PC which is still being made which is the Nvidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI mother board, 2 Nvidia GeForce9800 GX2 Display cards, QX9770 Dual core extreme quad processor, 4 gig DDR3 1600 ram. etc...

I just want to know if games in WINE will work in Linux, and will it take advantage of this equipment?

I bought this beast for Linux :p

kel 04-02-08 08:05 AM

Re: New PC and Linux Compatability Question...

tbh my guess would be that right now you're going to have problems getting this to work:

- there's no drivers that support the 9800gx2 yet officially, the 171.06beta drivers might work, but I wouldn't count on it.
- I have no idea wether there's drivers that support your motherboard, the chipset has only recently been release right? (I'm not up to date on nvidia chipsets as I never used one)

You should probably see at least beta drivers that officially support the 9800gx2 in about 3 weeks or so (+/- 1 week) - that's how long it took for the 9600gt beta drivers to appear.
Eventually there's definetly going to be drivers judging from nvidia's track record, but right now nobody can really say exactly when they'll be released.

txf 04-02-08 03:13 PM

There is supposedly a driver release in spring (173.xx I heard someone from nvidia say) but that could come as late as the end of may. That would be the earliest you could get official support (not guaranteed tho, nvidia seldom says whats going to be in the driver)

vh-bil 04-02-08 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txf
There is supposedly a driver release in spring (173.xx I heard someone from nvidia say) but that could come as late as the end of may. That would be the earliest you could get official support (not guaranteed tho, nvidia seldom says whats going to be in the driver)

I am in Australia so I was just wondering where you are so I know how long until spring.

slauper 04-03-08 02:58 AM

Hello same Questions for mines :

Motherboard : Nvidia 780i
Graphics card type and brand : MSI GeForce 8800ULTRA (Tri-SLI or 3Way-SLI)
CPU : Intel Yorkfield Core Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core, 4 Logic processor
RAM : 8 Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (dhx dual path)
HardDisk (1): 2x Western Digital 150GB Raptor sata 10000rpm in RAID Stripping
HardDisk (2): 4x500Gb sata 7200rpm in RAID 0+1
Optic combo (1): 1x BLU-RAY (+ every "multipass" to read/write/use DVD +/- CD dl ddl etc.....)
Optic combo (2): 1x HD-DVD read DVD read CD
alimentation: "Be Quiet!" 1000W.
PC Case : SilverStone
keyboard : Logitech G15
Mouse : Logitech G9 Laser
Others: Siliconed hand ergo mouse carpet
Sound : Logitech Z5500
Micro/Headset : Premium Notebood Headset
Video : Logitech WebCam UltraVision
Screen : 1x Acer AL 2021.

Actually OS : Vista Ultimate 64bit(preisntalled)
Wanted Further OS : Linux with cedega or Wine for supporting dx10

Best regard and Thx.

vh-bil 04-03-08 05:13 AM

I don't think WINE supports DX10 yet...

txf 04-03-08 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vh-bil
I am in Australia so I was just wondering where you are so I know how long until spring.

I'm in Portugal. It's spring already here all the way till the end of May

Quote:

Originally Posted by slauper
Graphics card type and brand : MSI GeForce 8800ULTRA (Tri-SLI or 3Way-SLI)

that has been supported for quite a while... its the first 8 series gfx card right? dunno about tri-sli tho

dx10 won't ever be possible until linux has OpenGL 3

bacon12 04-03-08 08:11 AM

Don't count on any G92 based card to work, my 8800gt still won't work with the latest drivers. :thumbdwn:

Save yourself some headache and get older, cheaper, better supported gear for your linux box.

tec-buck 04-03-08 09:37 AM

I just bought and installed two 8800gt's in sli. It took a few hours to work through the driver hell, but it does work and great! HL2-E2, COD4 both scream with this setup at max detail. That being said, is wasn't easy or straight forward. I had to compile a patched version of wine for COD4 and work through config issues with the driver and wine, which took weeks to understand and figure out. Personally though, thats more fun than playing the games.

My linux is FC8.

bacon12 04-03-08 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tec-buck
I just bought and installed two 8800gt's in sli. It took a few hours to work through the driver hell, but it does work and great! HL2-E2, COD4 both scream with this setup at max detail. That being said, is wasn't easy or straight forward. I had to compile a patched version of wine for COD4 and work through config issues with the driver and wine, which took weeks to understand and figure out. Personally though, thats more fun than playing the games.

My linux is FC8.

I used to think that way, but now I would rather use my free time to play games. :)

tec-buck 04-03-08 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon12
I used to think that way, but now I would rather use my free time to play games. :)

You do have a point, sometimes it's nice to just turn on the computer and start playing without all of the overhead.

slauper 04-03-08 10:57 PM

thx for Infos:
(1)
wine need to wait Dx10
(maybe Cedega can be a pionner)

(2)
Aahh Ok, so i need OpenGL3

Best regards