nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Anyone have a PCI-Express card they'd like to donate? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111122)

Intel17 04-04-08 06:39 PM

Anyone have a PCI-Express card they'd like to donate?

Okay, so my friend, who is an extremely financially challenged (but very sharp) graphics programmer has spent his whole life programming on essentially salvage grade computers (old pentiums/k5s) with absolutely no graphics acceleration. However, he's just come into a very, very nice Athlon X2 3600+ machine ( I gave it to him :D ) -- however, it has a GeForce 6150SE integrated piece of ****. He really, really wants to start writing some 3D accelerated, modern code (he's been reading about all these advanced algorithms online), but he doesn't have the hardware to write it and actually enjoy it.

So, I was wondering, does anyone here have a semi-decent/decent PCI-express video card that they'd like to donate to my friend? I don't have any spare PCI-E cards, so I can't help him, and I'm broke too...

Thanks, all...

-Intel17

j0j081 04-05-08 01:08 AM

Re: Anyone have a PCI-Express card they'd like to donate?

do you need it to be be donated as in free or just a good price?

CaptNKILL 04-05-08 03:33 AM

The 8500GT is dirt cheap for a DirectX 10 card. It isn't a screaming fast gaming card but if he wants to program with the latest graphics features he's going to want a DX10 card and this one should be fast enough to mess around with.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...GeForce+8500GT

You could always split it with him. They're around $50.

Tr1cK 04-05-08 09:26 AM

I bought a Radeon X550 for my work machine off Newegg for $20. It does basic 3D OK. It manages to play WoW alright at 800x600 2x AA and medium-high settings.

evox 04-05-08 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr1cK
I bought a Radeon X550 for my work machine off Newegg for $20. It does basic 3D OK. It manages to play WoW alright at 800x600 2x AA and medium-high settings.

You play WoW@Work? :D

Tr1cK 04-05-08 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evox
You play WoW@Work? :D

shhh!

Intel17 04-05-08 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0j081
do you need it to be be donated as in free or just a good price?

Well, he doesn't have a job and his parents are jobless, too -- they're selling off almost everything in order to eat. So, it'd have to be free..

CaptNKILL 04-07-08 12:37 PM

Sounds like he needs a job. :o

A part time job just about anywhere would pay for a cheap graphics card in a day or two...

SLippe 04-07-08 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Sounds like he needs a job. :o

A part time job just about anywhere would pay for a cheap graphics card in a day or two...

+1

Absolution 04-08-08 06:03 AM

I hate to say this, because I do pity your friend... But if he's looking to get into programing graphics . . . then the integrated card is just fine for whatever he puts out. Honestly, its not really even possible to code something equivalent to quake 3 by yourself anymore. The engines that are complex take forever to code (4-6 year turnover with teams working on it), so even if he did get a slightly better graphics card, it wouldn't matter.

Not to mention, if he can make code run on integrated graphics, then it will run even better on discrete graphics! Smart developers will code on hardware that is not too fast just so that they know it will run better on real machines. HL2 was coded with workstations with geforce 4 cards, a whole generation behind (almost two by the time it came out).

Intel17 04-08-08 10:48 PM

Haha, you're right, Absolution. I mean, I have a Core 2 Quad + GeForce 8800GT, but I also have a separate development workstation which consists of a Pentium IV 1.6GHz and a GeForce 3. Obviously, that's not too bad, but it's certainly not "new".

It's interesting to see my code fly on my Core 2 because I spent so much time optimizing for the Pentium IV. Maybe my friend will just have to stick with his machine and just learn to write really kickass software routines that do the modern stuff that he wants to see :)

Thanks, all.
-Intel17

Uberpwnage 04-09-08 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absolution
HL2 was coded with workstations with geforce 4 cards, a whole generation behind (almost two by the time it came out).

And Crysis was coded on geforce 10 cards :headexplode: