nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   OpenSuse 10.3 installatin failed (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111210)

jamjag 04-06-08 12:55 PM

OpenSuse 10.3 installatin failed

Hello all!

I recently bought a NVIDIA Geforce 7300 GT card and would like to use it for Opensuse 10.3. I found a driver at NVIDIA.com and tried to follow the "Nvidia Installer HOWTO for SUSE LINUX users" documentation. Unfortunately I didn't work.

Maybe I provide you some more details. As I have an three year old celeron I used the description for openSUSE 10.3-IA.32 and perfromed the following steps:

1. I added the NVIDA server to the repositories.
2. I selected and installed the x11-video-nvidiaG01 package.

After this I'm not sure how to proceed. In SaX2 I get the information that my card is the "VESA Framebuffer Graphic". I don't know whether I can change anything. Furthermore I started the system in Runlevel mode 3 and tried to start the installer directly but unfortunately the sh command couldn't find the installer file.

Does anyone know what's my fault? I'm quite sure that it shouldn't be a big problem to install the driver.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Regards,
jamjag

krokodil 04-07-08 01:37 AM

Re: OpenSuse 10.3 installatin failed

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamjag
Hello all!

[...deleted...]

1. I added the NVIDA server to the repositories.
2. I selected and installed the x11-video-nvidiaG01 package.

I'm not shure what you did here. Normally, I go the the Nvidia website, download a driver, enter level 3, run the installer script, test, reenter level 5 and am done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamjag
After this I'm not sure how to proceed. In SaX2 I get the information that my card is the "VESA Framebuffer Graphic". I don't know whether I can change anything. Furthermore I started the system in Runlevel mode 3 and tried to start the installer directly but unfortunately the sh command couldn't find the installer file.

Does anyone know what's my fault? I'm quite sure that it shouldn't be a big problem to install the driver.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Regards,
jamjag

VESA graphics basically means the driver isn't installed.

There are several ways to invoke the execution of a shell script. Did you set the downloaded shar to -x? In my opinion this is the easiest way to execute it.
In the latest driver releases nvidia-xconfig does a much better job of configuring driver and X-server than it did before so no need to fiddle with SaX anymore (it might still be useful one way or another :) ).

pe1chl 04-07-08 03:18 AM

The procedure with installing x11-video-nvidiaG01 is correct for opensuse 10.3
You may need to configure the X server using nvidia-xconfig or by editing the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf manually.

jamjag 04-07-08 01:15 PM

Thanks for your feedback.

:)

If the major problem is the X server configuration, can I find somewhere a "eay to use" description how I can handle it? To be honest, I haven't changed a xorg.conf file manually up to know.

PS: I have already executed the nvidia-xconfig, but the result was that the X server couldn't be started anymore. After that I executed sax2 which (well, this is at least my understanding) reinstalled the "Vesa driver".

IkBenDeMan 04-10-08 08:03 PM

Read the README and Installation README where you download the NVidia driver on it's website... or actually I'll just copy paste...

Quote:

If you have a working X config file for a different driver (such as the “nv” or “vesa” driver), then simply edit the file as follows.

Remove the line:

Driver "nv"
(or Driver "vesa")
(or Driver "fbdev")

and replace it with the line:

Driver "nvidia"

Remove the following lines:

Load "dri"
Load "GLCore"

In the Module section of the file, add the line (if it does not already exist):

Load "glx"

If the X config file does not have a Module section, you can safely skip the last step if the X server installed on your system is an X.Org X server or an XFree86 X release version 4.4.0 or greater. If you are using an older XFree86 X server, add the following to your X config file:

Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "dbe"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection
If you follow these instructions, everything should work. I have SuSE too and your Xconfig file should be set to "nv" after installation, once you install the new drivers, you just do this. I also add
Quote:

Option "NoLogo" "false"
under the driver section, because I like the pretty NVidia splash screen :)